IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

@Miska

With the NAA 4.0.1 Cubox+rendu image can you simple load NAA on a UltraRemdu instead of the SonicOrbiter OS (flashing NAA to a new microsd etc)? If that's the case, what are the advantages of doing so? Sonore started delivering cards with SonicOrbiter 2.8 which supports NAA 4.0 as well (after a bit of updating hassle).

21 minutes ago, robi20064 said:

With the NAA 4.0.1 Cubox+rendu image can you simple load NAA on a UltraRemdu instead of the SonicOrbiter OS (flashing NAA to a new microsd etc)? If that's the case, what are the advantages of doing so? Sonore started delivering cards with SonicOrbiter 2.8 which supports NAA 4.0 as well (after a bit of updating hassle).

Yes, maybe it works, I have only microRendu around here. If you have a spare microSD card you can try out, 4 GB card is enough (the image itself is much smaller).

People have been asking for this, so I just thought I could as well build one again. It is practically same as you can get for x64 and RasPi3/4 as well.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Happy to see the Cubox image return! It's been ages since I bought my i4pro, way back when switching formats would still pop on my iFi dac. My solution at the time was Arch Linux ARM with a custom kernel (which I didn't update for years, ha) but this simplifies things so much. Five minute setup and back to the music. Cheers. 

On 2/1/2020 at 9:29 AM, Miska said:

I can look into it, it needs some extra kernel work since the kernel version is lagging behind.

Jussi,

Does this new naa-401-cuboxi-urendu image work with HQPlayerDesktop 3.25?

Thanks,

Ricardo

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

5 hours ago, cat6man said:

I can confirm that the latest NAA cubox image works fine with the opticalRendu.

Just remember to go to HQPe configuration page and re-select (and apply) the correct Network Audio backend device, which is now named "naa: XMOS USB....." here.

Thanks Jussi!

I tried the NAA Cubox Rendu image with my opticalRendu and couldn’t get it to connect to HQP Desktop. The NAA never showed up under Settings. Tried different things with DAC (Holo Cyan DSD) - disconnect/connect USB & reboot, etc. - but never got it to work.

Put the original Sonore card back in & everything promptly connected as usual.

16 hours ago, ericuco said:

I tried the NAA Cubox Rendu image with my opticalRendu and couldn’t get it to connect to HQP Desktop. The NAA never showed up under Settings. Tried different things with DAC (Holo Cyan DSD) - disconnect/connect USB & reboot, etc. - but never got it to work.

Put the original Sonore card back in & everything promptly connected as usual.

did its ip address show up in a network scan?

fyi........i was using hqpe running under audiolinux, accessing hqpe via web interface on port 8088.......on config page, there were 3 naa: options available (naa:usb, naa:hdmi and naa:spdif though only the first is available on the oRendu)

1 hour ago, cat6man said:

did its ip address show up in a network scan?

fyi........i was using hqpe running under audiolinux, accessing hqpe via web interface on port 8088.......on config page, there were 3 naa: options available (naa:usb, naa:hdmi and naa:spdif though only the first is available on the oRendu)

I didn't do a network scan but the light on the Mikrotik switch indicated that there was a connection established.

On 2/14/2020 at 2:23 PM, ericuco said:

I didn't do a network scan but the light on the Mikrotik switch indicated that there was a connection established.

when i have problems, i always do a ip network scan.

if the device is not showing up, that's a big clue.

also, can you ping the oRendu?

as an example, sometimes i've found that a new IP address has been assigned by dhcp unexpectedly.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:46 PM, Solstice380 said:

I hate when that happens! LOL  @cat6man I use the Fing app on my phone to scan for the new addresses - you probably know about that one.

yup, fing is great.

on my ubuntu machines, i use angryIP scanner

also, i eventually learned, and periodically re-learn, to manually assign the IP address at the router/DHCP server so that they don't change on me.

Jussi,

I have been trying to get NAA 401 to work directly on my uRendu. I downloaded the image and loaded it to a micro SD but it does not boot. The NAA does not show up in the settings page of HQP 431 (on Win 10 machine with Roon). The ip does show up as active in an ip scan as it is manually bound to the MAC address on the router but when I enter the ip to Chrome it times out. Also, the red light stays on on the Rendu but the RJ45 lights are normal. This card was from an older version of SonicOrbiter. It is an 8 G card. It had some partitions. I formatted the card and put the NAA on the largest partition. Do I need to remove the partitions and what is the correct formatting protocol to use? Am I doing something else wrong? Help much appreciated.  Thanks

1 hour ago, bobflood said:

The ip does show up as active in an ip scan as it is manually bound to the MAC address on the router but when I enter the ip to Chrome it times out.

There is nothing on the OS that would answer to Chrome. It only has the NAA software module and nothing else besides the OS itself. So only way to access it is through HQPlayer.

1 hour ago, bobflood said:

This card was from an older version of SonicOrbiter. It is an 8 G card. It had some partitions. I formatted the card and put the NAA on the largest partition. Do I need to remove the partitions and what is the correct formatting protocol to use?

OK, this is likely the problem. The image is full storage image with partitions and everything, so it must be written to the raw card for example with Etcher or similar tool. It doesn't matter if the card is formatted or not, the image will overwrite the contents.

If the image is written to a partition, it won't work because the needed boot information is outside of the partitions in a special area.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Miska said:

There is nothing on the OS that would answer to Chrome. It only has the NAA software module and nothing else besides the OS itself. So only way to access it is through HQPlayer.

OK, this is likely the problem. The image is full storage image with partitions and everything, so it must be written to the raw card for example with Etcher or similar tool. It doesn't matter if the card is formatted or not, the image will overwrite the contents.

If the image is written to a partition, it won't work because the needed boot information is outside of the partitions in a special area.

Thanks, I downloaded Etcher. When I try to select the NAA image the field under both the Download and HQP storage bin I have is blank. Is the file format accepted by Etcher? It doesn't show 7Z files on the front page list.

54 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Thanks, I downloaded Etcher. When I try to select the NAA image the field under both the Download and HQP storage bin I have is blank. Is the file format accepted by Etcher? It doesn't show 7Z files on the front page list.

I think you need to unzip the NAA image first. 7z is a compressed file format. 
https://www.7-zip.org/

Typically you want the .img file. 

2 hours ago, bobflood said:

Jussi, I did get the file unzipped and loaded to the card. Now I am having problems getting it working:

- when I turn the uRendu on it does boot but the red system light never goes off

-I can select Holo Audio Gen 2 USB from the Network Adapter ipv6/output menu with network control on

-when I play music (PCM or SDM) I get stuttering playback no matter what buffer setting I use.

At this point, I have tried everything I can think of. What am I doing wrong? For the time being I am going to put the sonicOrbiter card back in. I will try again when I get your input.

Thanks