Streaming something on Qobuz I haven't listened to in a few years (hi-rez) -and it sounds really good!

The Doors - Strange Days

516SuslXMML._SX425_.jpg

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 2:01 AM, sphinxsix said:

16-44 Haven't made my mind up in 100% yet but possibly my favorite version of the 10th.

Image result for Shostakovich - Symphony No. 10, Ballet Suite No. 4 - Scottish National Orchestra, Neeme Jarvi CHAN 8630

Don't know if it is my favorite, but it's very good - both in performance and sound. 

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, EuroChamp said:

My understanding is, MoFi is very conservative, and the SACD format is still a kind of copy protection. Their second format is vinyl.

The prices for an album are not exactly low. Downloads would need a different calculation.

I understand, but Acoustic Sounds does the same thing. They contract to remaster an SACD version, and a DSD download doesn't ever go on sale. And they sell massive amounts of DSD downloads overall, at quite healthy prices. It's not clear if the rights holders don't want the DSD download sold, or AS, or both. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just listened to this for the first time on Qobuz. Good performance. Good recording.

71OA4XT32QL._SX425_.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, austinpop said:

Rite of Spring: Like the performance, but don't think the recording sounds powerful enough in some places. I don't think it's the orchestra, I think it's the way it was recorded/mixed// mastered. 

57 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 4.15.40 PM.png

And Roon still hasn't totally figured out how to tell apart this Avishai Cohen (tp), from the other one (b). 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

These two are great albums, and sound amazing!

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 1.19.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 1.19.35 AM.png

Ghosts still doesn't come up for me in Qobuz US. Wonder what the deal is?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Paging @AudioDoctor, an album in your wheelhouse ^^

Or should I say, an album cover in your wheelhouse :~)

It is, btw, quite worthwhile...musically.

13 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

As for the one you're talking about, guys - she's good indeed. But IMO not as good as her (at least in the four seasons):

Janine Jansen: 'Ik hoef alleen nog maar te doen waar ik me goed ...

If someone prefers female violinists photographed in horizontal positions  9_9

Janine Jansen: Vivaldi: The Four Seasons is this week's iTunes ...

It's an interesting version. Also quite good SQ.

3 hours ago, jma2 said:

Strange. I checked my link again and access the complete "album" through it. Could it be one of those "regional" restrictions that is in play?

Anyway, I am convinced the non-hires version is also fantastic! And if you can only access one track for now, I'm sure this will only be temporally.

J. 

Just search for it in a couple of different ways and it may turn up. The search is weird. Sometimes there are phenomena like search for the album name and you get one track, search for the artist and you get the whole album, etc.

FE710BE1-250C-46A6-BCC5-B31BFAAF107E.jpeg

42 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

It is, and I see her point if you've only ever heard low-fi crap recordings of him before on low-fi equipment.

His voice also lost a lot over the years. Best to listen to 50-60 year old stuff, not newer stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

Firedog, check out the version of this from hughdeftapetransfers. Superb in all respects.  Love this album.

There are a few different versions of these sessions around. The HDTT one has a less attractive song selection, IMO.

HDTT often has an album with a different song selection from the known versions of the release. Not sure why this is. Maybe because they are sometimes remastering tapes that were once released to the market and those were a different release from the more well known LP version. Or maybe they simply can't get the rights to all the songs for some reason. Or maybe the tapes they have access to aren't identical to the original master release. 

Live Cream Volume II - Wikipedia

24-96 version. "Sunshine of Your Love" is playing now. Good sound, great performance.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 3:33 AM, Teresa said:

Ole Bull's works for Violin and Orchestra: Sæterjentens Søndag (The Herdgirl's Sunday), Concerto In A Major, Concerto Fantastico, I Ensomme Stunde (Melancolie), La Verbena de San Juan, Et Sæterbesøg (A Mountain Vision)

Very melodic and quite beautiful music IMHO.

image.png.dc71525a5b9b7e874778c1a27c2e45cb.png

On Qobuz USA This is listed as 24/44.1. Roon is reporting this is an MQA "24/352" file. Roon software MQA decoder  converts it to 88k, as would be expected. Wonder if Qobuz knows? 

1 minute ago, Teresa said:

I have the Blu-ray Pure Audio / SACD combo pack which says it was originally recorded in DXD 24/352.8kHz. The Blu-ray resolutions are:

• 5.1 DTS HD MA 24/192kHz
  • 7.1 DTS HD MA 24/96kHz
  • 2.0 LPCM 24/192kHz

It was recorded in 2009 and released in 2010, so no MQA!

Not necessarily. If the master from 2010 was processed as MQA, then there's an MQA version. That's how MQA works - you take a master and apply MQA processing. It would be totally typical for such a 24/352 master that's processed as MQA to be distributed as 24/44.1 MQA and then fake unfolded/upsampled via the MQA process to 24/352.

1 minute ago, Teresa said:

I agree with that. I think you misunderstood what I typed. I was saying since the Blu-ray Pure Audio / SACD combo pack was released in 2010 it is not compromised with MQA like the streaming example you gave. This (for me) is another reason to purchase the physical disc.

Also (at least so far) physical discs state when they are from a MQA master, so far I have only seen MQA CDs. Fingers crossed MQA never comes to high resolution discs such as SACD and Blu-ray.

:nomqa:

Yes, sorry for the misunderstanding. Looks like Qobuz - and probably the other streaming services - are being given a new, "MQA'd" version of the original recording.

• 2 weeks later...