Yes, unlike seeing a performance on multiple nights little changes but oneself between listens.  At least the physical recording is unlikely to change to meet perception or mood.  Four pianos requiring constant retuning poses less of problem inside a recording than it does within the performance.

It all comes off like a chainsaw ripping through a forest.  No tooth ever gets resharpened the same, the oil to gas mixture between fillings is too rich or lean requiring further tampering, and what leaves off at a strong and masterly cut returns with a different exhaustion than it should display if taken in quick succession.

cover.thumb.jpg.0fcafdb0a6c3642228bf6e027596d47e.jpg

Beethoven: Chamber Music for Wind Instruments (and piano). Played with precision and expression by Les Vents Français (Emmanuel Pahud, fl./François Leleux, ob./Paul Meyer, cl./Gilbert Audin, bn./Radovan Vlatkovic, hn/Eric Le Sage, p.)

Transparent sound from a 24/44 Qobuz download.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

4 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Always interesting to discover composers I hadn’t even heard about before. Here is a nice example. Well played by the brilliant Rousset, and quite well recorded:

3149028128222_600.jpg

Have had Sophie Yates' version of pretty much the same thing for a while now. Duration of individual pieces vary quite significantly compared to the Rousset version above. The mood specified in the titles seem to be mostly ignored in the Yates version and the play was rather heavy handed most of the time. Rousset's on the other hand has a good mix of moods. Sounds good to me :)

Album of the evening:

Scarlatti: The Keyboard Sonatas Scott Ross

MI0001111096.jpg

Listened to CD24 which covers K.372 to K.391.

5 hours ago, BacHolz said:

An interesting compilation from eclassical.

http://Heroines of Love and Loss

4999985-origpic-279e36.jpg

I seem to have botched the hyperlink edit. With apologies...

http://www.eclassical.com/bis2248.html

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

On 11/29/2017 at 10:50 AM, christopher3393 said:

Monteverdi: Vespro della beata Vergine (1610)

La Compagnia del Madrigale, Cantica Symphonia, La Pifarescha, Giuseppe Maletto

8424562228078.thumb.jpg.48a0c4e858e2a9bb231d7c4579628c19.jpg

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8303921--monteverdi-vespro-della-beata-vergine-1610

"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

Wow, this sounds good (streaming from Tidal).  I am currently sporting my new HE4XX's, so maybe they are skewing my impressions but this recording and music is really nice...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!