IGNORED

PGGB and HQPlayer Discussion

I will stop here, but if you zoom in on the difference what you will see is mostly 22.05kHz but it is not stationary, and as a result represents a wider frequency range.

image.thumb.png.a8729cabcbaaa8467ae7b82fcb528b79.png

Author of PGGB & RASA, remastero

Update: PGGB Plus (PCM + DSD) Now supports both PCM and DSD, with much improved memory handling

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

SystemTT7 PGI 240v + Power Base > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ /LCD-5/[QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

1 minute ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I will stop here, but if you zoom in on the difference what you will see is mostly 22.05kHz but it is not stationary, and as a result represents a wider frequency range.

image.thumb.png.a8729cabcbaaa8467ae7b82fcb528b79.png

That's the PGGB's ringing...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

10 minutes ago, Miska said:

Busting PGGB in realtime 😂

No, you’ve been busting the straw men you keep inventing to give the impression you are busting PGGB.

https://www.scribbr.com/fallacies/straw-man-fallacy/

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

16 minutes ago, Miska said:

That's the PGGB's ringing...

Nope, that is what it would look like, our eyes are not FFTs, the spectrogram says what is really happening, shorter filters simply cannot reconstruct lower frequencies correctly.

image.thumb.png.0d884870ff02028c497215f0c7e5e178.png

Update: PGGB Plus (PCM + DSD) Now supports both PCM and DSD, with much improved memory handling

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

SystemTT7 PGI 240v + Power Base > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ /LCD-5/[QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

18 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Nope, that is what it would look like, our eyes are not FFTs, the spectrogram says what is really happening, shorter filters simply cannot reconstruct lower frequencies correctly.

Well, pass it a 20 Hz or 10 Hz tone and compare SINAD. Still the same, if your difference is higher than SINAD of either one, you have done something wrong.

Or you have have triggered ringing in PGGB's filter due to change in the low frequency tone, caused by high frequency component. (which you just demonstrated above, but still PGGB shouldn't manage to screw up low frequencies)

Or maybe you are using some noise-shaping suspect to noise floor modulation in PGGB?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I have to agree with @austinpop. Everyone here has huge respect for what HQPlayer has brought to our tiny, almost fetishistic corner of audio and the quality on offer with HQPlayer 5 (and PGGB) are testament to the many years of passionate effort @Miska has invested in showing that separating the reconstruction filter from the D-A engineering piece is a beneficial approach to getting quality audio out of digital.

Certainly I would think that HQP at this stage in its product cycle is hugely more widely used than PGGB. And probably everyone who has a PGGB license has HQP too. I use it for streaming and replay all the time.

The opportunity to discuss and explore the relative benefits of the different approaches without the entrenched and defensive attitude on display by some parties would be illuminating and beneficial to us all (I say "all" but really we are a tiny band of individuals all stuck at the bottom of a conceptual well, seemingly resenting each other for stealing our oxygen!).

Hey ho - as Chris' illustration depicts - the internet runs on this misalignment of views.

11 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

He’s referring to the academic learnings that have helped influence his design philosophies.  Being equipped with an understanding of how we perceive things such as timbre and pitch seem to me to be concepts that audio designers should understand well, but unfortunately we don’t see many talking about this.  Fortunately there are a few.  ASC the tube trap makers are another who seem to get this as they sound much like Rob when it comes to the importance of us able to perceive of when notes stop and start.  Spectral has also made similar arguments.

What’s been interesting to me is that I have yet to see anyone ever attempt to rebut Rob’s actual arguments.  His critics tend to respond with some form of ad hominem that attacks him or how he worded his argument instead.  I will admit that I never tried to confirm that what Rob says is true but I haven’t felt that important as the proof has been in the pudding.

I agree with the end but of your last sentence: the goal is to get whatever sound one prefers.

But believing in Watts’ marketing indoctrination is a matter of personal choice.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

If some technical information indicates that something in a product design is or may be incorrect, I hope we don't wish to establish some kind of censorship.

When I am buying a new DAC, I'm searching for one, two, three star reviews to learn about possible product flaws in different usage scenarios. Correctly argued critical reviews are the most valuable.

Of course, one can use the word 'incorrect' instead of 'wrong'. But the word 'wrong' has still it's place and can be fully appropriate, if the argumentation is well technically backed up.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

6 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

shorter filters simply cannot reconstruct lower frequencies correctly.

Different DACs incl. the best ones use longer or shorter filters, but I never heard about such a thing previously. We are of course speaking about short filters of usual lengths, not about some ultra short extreme. One tap "filter" cannot detect any frequency, that's clear.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
8 hours ago, Miska said:

Or maybe you are using some noise-shaping suspect to noise floor modulation in PGGB?

No, I used dither. I applied -1.5dB gain for both PGGB and the half band filter, so they can easily be compared.

Yes of course, I checked to make sure if both retained the original samples below, I plot the difference picking every 16th sample out. They are not zero because of dither. PGGB does not have an option to just truncate, else I would have done that and not used dither.

image.thumb.png.68562e1ed1d52bd1b330978140787d4c.png

1 hour ago, bogi said:

Different DACs incl. the best ones use longer or shorter filters, but I never heard about such a thing previously. We are of course speaking about short filters of usual lengths, not about some ultra short extreme. One tap "filter" cannot detect any frequency, that's clear.

'Correctly' is a relative term. Many believe modern DACs are transparent and are equally good at reconstruction and nothing more is needed. Even the spectrogram I showed indicates the differences are still subtle but exist. One can choose to believe the differences are audible because it is above 20kHz or choose to believe the differences is in the time domain reconstruction in the audible range.

Below I plot the FFTs taken with a 1 second window and averaged over the first 20 seconds, you cannot really tell PGGB apart from the halfband filter, because any differences in the time domain have been average out.

image.thumb.png.3ea8e9036ed17e14bff66413e25749c2.png

17 minutes ago, jelt2359 said:

I too cannot hear like a bat, so I'm curious how and why this would be relevant to me.

Nobody hears like a bat. But there seem to be side effects as to why ultrasound is indirectly audible. The different opinions have been treated appreciatively in this thread.

I want to remind that part of the reason this thread exists is because there were many who wanted to play PGGB files through HQP and figure out how to do that best. This is no different from some using Roon for their library and then using HQP for upsampling or some just prefer the NAA of HQP.  Roon coexists with HQP and Roon also has DSP and upsampling options.

I have had several DMs requesting support for using PGGB with HQP as they are worried about asking it either on PGGB thread or HQP thread or this thread because that leads to the same line of discussion, which is not good for anyone involved. this happens not only here but across forums (Headfi and Roon).

Well, it was partly due to my curiosity and inquisitive nature that this debate continued until it got so heated, so I do feel some responsibility for making sure that it stays civil.

I am not going to comment on what has been said and the way it has been said - I think that it is plain to see and everyone can make up their own mind. I am, however, also concerned that we have reached a stage where, at least for the time being, we are unlikely to make any further progress in relation to establishing the objective data behind what we're hearing. I am certain that both @Zaphod Beeblebrox and @Miska will continue to publish data exhibiting what their products do well (e.g. on their websites) and each of us will be able to see these data, compare them and make up our own mind.

I also continue to use both pieces of software and continue to be excited about what's happening in the world of digital audio - just like the introduction of the Gaussian filters at the time helped me enjoy my music in a more non-fatiguing way which I interpreted as being more natural, the new release of PGGB DSD has made me want to listen to each song in my collection once again as I'm discovering things that I never paid attention to before.

I would strongly encourage everyone to give PGGD DSD trial a go - there is nothing to lose and in my opinion a lot to gain. I have in the past spent a considerable amount of time comparing different HQP filters, in an attempt to find one that sounds the best to me;  I will post some impressions of how they fare when compared to PGGB DSD (to my ears, on my system and with my music).

20 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I am never going to agree that the differences we hear between upsamplers is because what is beyond the audible range, and I don't think Jussi is going to ever agree that it is because of difference in the time domain reconstruction in the audible range.

I would say this is precisely the reason to pause the technical discussion, as we really do seem to be going around in circles.

@bogi I apologize if my post came across as trying to chill your right to free speech. That is truly not my intention. But hopefully you agree that we are at an impasse?

It would be a shame if @The Computer Audiophile was forced to pause the thread. As ZB's DMs indicate, there are clearly folks who would like to participate here, to discuss usage or listening impressions, but are scared to, for fear of sparking further diatribes.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

I would say this is precisely the reason to pause the technical discussion, as we really do seem to be going around in circles.

@bogi I apologize if my post came across as trying to chill your right to free speech. That is truly not my intention. But hopefully you agree that we are at an impasse?

It would be a shame if @The Computer Audiophile was forced to pause the thread. As ZB's DMs indicate, there are clearly folks who would like to participate here, to discuss usage or listening impressions, but are scared to, for fear of sparking further diatribes.

Why not for everybody's happiness, discuss in the appropriate forum topics, each its own, and not in this 'comparitive' topic?