IGNORED

UpTone Audio is now an official MUTEC dealer! New REF10 Nano clock in stock today — $1,799

Congratulations! What a Christmas present!

FRONT END: Analog: Radikal Linn LP12 > Linn Urika 2 phono stage. Sound: Linn Klimax Organik DSM > Linn Duo amp >Maggie 3.7i  Wires + Power: Transparent: Reference Speaker, XL Power Conditioner + XL Power Cords. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground Isolation: HRS SXR stand, M3X2 Bases. 

Connected to back end by: Transparent Ethernet 

BACK END: Digital: Internet > OpticalModule > EtherREGEN < AD Queen Squarewave Clock < Roon Nucleus + (internal 7TB SSD music library) Isolation: Salamander Archetype rack, HRS M3X2 base the under Nucleus, ER,Stillpoints under all others Power: Paul Hynes SR7T > Clock, Nucleus. SR7T > ER & OpticalModule, SR4 > Switch. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground 

Hello Alex

Well done on securing one of the most desriable 'quality' desgined and produced clocks for audio and beyond😊

Welcome to the club sir

The Ref 10  SE-120 is also perfect for quality test instruments as well.

The Nano is proving very popular shall we say!

Reality is somewhat stranger than fiction with audio, beware those bearing audio gifts, all that glitters is usually poor sounding equipment contained within over engineered and nice looking cases with an equally impressive price tag to match.

Areospace & Audio designs with a retail outlet Musical Coherence

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, agladstone said:

Can you also provide the specs for the other Mutec products? 

Sure, when I am back at my desk in the morning. But all MUTEC product specifications can be easily viewed on their website:

https://www.mutec-net.com/produkte.php

By the way, sales have been going great. Already sold the first 3 units and have another 2 arriving to our offices early next week. 

And we are offering a professionally terminated, ultra low-loss Belden 4794R high bandwidth 12G SDI 75-Ohm cable—your choice of length—to pair with it.

So feel free to contact me about ordering—the REF10 Nano or its big brothers—at their terrific new lower prices. :D

8 hours ago, Oggo said:

Are the outputs of the Nano truly isolated from each other...

Indeed the outputs of the REF10 Nano are fully isolated from each other. I have tested and confirm their claims. Plus I can see the tiny transformers and the buffer circuity before each output.

Unlike several other brand multi-output clocks, the MUTEC's outputs are actually isolated. B|

17 hours ago, Superdad said:

Indeed the outputs of the REF10 Nano are fully isolated from each other. I have tested and confirm their claims. Plus I can see the tiny transformers and the buffer circuity before each output.

Unlike several other brand multi-output clocks, the MUTEC's outputs are actually isolated. B|

Thank you for your confirmation.

Happy new year!

My MUTEC REF10 Nano Clock and 1.5m Belden 4794R 75-Ohm clock cable have now been installed and running, for 24 hours. 

Only 13 days (Mutec recommended burn-in procedure) remaining, before I would expect to hear the full benefit (many folk, who are better wordsmiths than I, have already described this sound improvement).

In any case, I am very happy with the price and advice from Alex,

17 hours ago, Schafheide said:

P.S. Re the recommended burn-in time - does the temperature of the device enclosure have any effect on the burn-in time ie EtherRegen (very hot) vs Mutec Ref10 Nano (room temp) ??

Not really.  Most initial long-term change on circuit boards are due to "forming" of the capacitors.  That just takes time, can be subtle, and often has some bumps (sounds good initially, then nasty for a bit, then really smooth as it settles into a final state--all in the range of first 10 hours to 200 hours).

Then for clocks, you are always just looking at measurable stability from hours of warm-up--after each power-on cycle from cold. 

Yes, I remember that I took particular note of my expensive (silver) I2S cable.  Initially it sounded horrible, then, after at least 200hrs of it's sound cycling between good then horrible, it finally did settle down and produced everything as promised. 

Anyway, as you are aware, Mutec recommend 14 days (350hrs) of burn-in.

Also bought my Mutec ref10 nano clock from Alex, did not had a chance to set it up until the new year, so it is still burning in, but I could already hear the improvement on my system. BTW, got the best service I ever had from an dealer - UpTone Audio, who would specifically ordered a clock cable for a customer from Amazon and split the shipping cost, Alex did just that, not to mention the clock cable that he recommended, probably has the best performance/cost ratio on the market.

While Mutec nano is a great product, with an option to further improve its performance with external power supply, do not  understand their reasoning to use an odd size DC socket - it does comes with an average quality DC plug, but end users could not use their existing 5.5mmOD 2.1/2.5 ID DC cables without modification.

I am extremely happy with my EtherRegen (at present powered by a Farad Super3.

So far my new Mutec Ref10 Nano is about half- way in it's burn-in (and so far - so good!).. 

Eventually I will purchase an EtherRegen Gen2, then I will go for an LPS (to power the Gen2 and the Mutec). 

You mention the Js2 and the JS4 - could you please point me to info regarding the JS4 better suitability for my requirements.

On 12/28/2023 at 9:45 PM, Superdad said:

And we are offering a professionally terminated, ultra low-loss Belden 4794R high bandwidth 12G SDI 75-Ohm cable—your choice of length—to pair with it.

I've had a very odd experience.  I ordered a fairly inexpensive 2ft length of the above 8mm Belden 4794R cable from Blue Jeans Cable based on Alex's choice of that cable with the Nano he now sells.  It comes with quality BNC connectors.  It was intended as an experiment to see if it was better than the 3.8mm Belden 1865A 75 ohm cable as supplied by AfterDark with their Emperor Double Crown 75 Ohm sine MC into the external clock input of my Gustard R26 NOS DAC.  I'm using a high quality 75/50 ohm matching pad to mate to the 50 ohm input impedance of the R26 external clock input, and yes, the matching pad makes a big improvement.  With the 1865A cable, I have been exceedingly happy with the sound.  I'm not sure what I was expecting with the 4794R cable; but what I hear has surprised me quite a bit.  The sound field has collapsed considerably to a poorly defined center image.  I don't normally consider it necessary to "burn in" cables, so I don't think that is the problem.  I also didn't switch the cable around because I can't imagine that that makes a difference either.  Maybe I got a poorly made cable; but that has not been my experience with BJC, which has been my go-to source for cables for a very long time.  I'm really scratching my head here...

WAN (direct from router - no other switches in signal path) or LAN (NAS) > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > BJC Cat 6a > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > Uptone Audio EtherRegen powered by Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 @12v with AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10 MHz External Master Clock powered by AfterDark Modernize LPS > RPi4b/Pi2AES powered by Ferrum Hypsos LPS at 24v running Volumio as end point using Spotify Desktop App or JRiver > I2S over ethernet UTP > Metrum Onyx NOS DAC w/DAC3 Upgrade Modules > balanced AES/EBU > PS Audio SGC Preamp > balanced AES/EBU > Parasound A23 > NHT Classic Towers with dual sealed NHT subwoofers using miniDSP digital xover

29 minutes ago, Qstik said:

I've had a very odd experience.  I ordered a fairly inexpensive 2ft length of the above 8mm Belden 4794R cable from Blue Jeans Cable based on Alex's choice of that cable with the Nano he now sells.  It comes with quality BNC connectors.  It was intended as an experiment to see if it was better than the 3.8mm Belden 1865A 75 ohm cable as supplied by AfterDark with their Emperor Double Crown 75 Ohm sine MC into the external clock input of my Gustard R26 NOS DAC.

The recommendation of Belden 4794R applies to square wave clocks such as the Mutec.  For your sine wave clock you will be better served by a semi-rigid cable such as the one that Cybershaft offers (Cybershaft direct is less expensive but their web shop pages are down right now--so you can see their cable at AfterDark's page here:

https://www.adark.co/collections/cybershaft/products/cybershaft-50ω-bnc-cable-premium-2-version).

29 minutes ago, Qstik said:

I'm using a high quality 75/50 ohm matching pad to mate to the 50 ohm input impedance of the R26 external clock input, and yes, the matching pad makes a big improvement.

Perhaps that pad is also acting as some sort of filter as well because for sine wave clocks impedance matching does not matter at all. You would be better served by instead inserting one of the Mini-Circuits 11MHz low-pass filters (either BLP-10.7-75+ or BLP-10.7+, does not matter) at the input of whichever devices you are feeding the clock to.

40 minutes ago, Superdad said:

for sine wave clocks impedance matching does not matter at all

Sorry Alex and John - that statement does not correlate with my listening experience, nor can I find any supporting references in Google searches.  Sine wave impedance mismatches will cause reflections at the sine wave frequency while square wave impedance mismatches will cause reflections at the fundamental square wave frequency + higher harmonics of the fundamental square wave frequency.  I also fail to understand why a 10 MHz sine wave benefits from an 11 MHz low pass filter, unless there is considerable noise on the sine wave.  However, if a DAC, for instance, is expecting a 10 MHz sine wave external clock signal and only a square wave clock signal is available, that an 11 MHz low pass filter might filter a square wave to a passable sine wave.  Please enlighten me.

WAN (direct from router - no other switches in signal path) or LAN (NAS) > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > BJC Cat 6a > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > Uptone Audio EtherRegen powered by Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 @12v with AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10 MHz External Master Clock powered by AfterDark Modernize LPS > RPi4b/Pi2AES powered by Ferrum Hypsos LPS at 24v running Volumio as end point using Spotify Desktop App or JRiver > I2S over ethernet UTP > Metrum Onyx NOS DAC w/DAC3 Upgrade Modules > balanced AES/EBU > PS Audio SGC Preamp > balanced AES/EBU > Parasound A23 > NHT Classic Towers with dual sealed NHT subwoofers using miniDSP digital xover