IGNORED

UpTone Audio is now an official MUTEC dealer! New REF10 Nano clock in stock today — $1,799

4 hours ago, Qstik said:

However, if a DAC, for instance, is expecting a 10 MHz sine wave external clock signal…

Sorry, no such thing as a DAC “expecting” a sine or square wave.  As long as the clock circuit receives a clock of the correct frequency it will trigger correctly. 
In general, a really sharp (steep rise) square wave will be better than a sine. But a good sine (with amplitude modulated harmonics filtered out) does work just fine as well. 
Deeper conversation about this subject requires diving deeply into the design, architecture, and performance of the receiving device’s clock synthesizer’s PLL.

14 hours ago, Superdad said:

Sorry, no such thing as a DAC “expecting” a sine or square wave.  As long as the clock circuit receives a clock of the correct frequency it will trigger correctly. 
In general, a really sharp (steep rise) square wave will be better than a sine. But a good sine (with amplitude modulated harmonics filtered out) does work just fine as well. 
Deeper conversation about this subject requires diving deeply into the design, architecture, and performance of the receiving device’s clock synthesizer’s PLL.

Alex,

OK, things are starting to clarify for me as we get into the nitty gritty details. Thanks for taking the time to try to educate us.

1.  By saying that a DAC "expected" a sine or square wave clock signal I meant that its clock receiving PLL circuit was designed, optimized and/or worked best with either sine or square wave signals.

2.  I can understand that a square wave clock signal with a very sharp rise time might be best for minimizing the effects of ground plane noise while a sine wave clock signal might be best for minimizing time domain jitter.  Put another way to John's point, sine wave clock signals tend to be worse for ground plane noise sensitivity.  But my question to John is why wouldn't a 10 MHz bandpass filter be best for 10 MHz sine clock signals?  I would expect ground plane noise to be possible above and below the clock frequency.

3.  Google tells me that the wavelength of a 10 MHz electrical signal is 98.36 ft.  Since the cable I ordered from BJC is two feet in length; it is very nearly an integer ratio of 50:1.  This is probably bad from a reflection standpoint.  I may just order a 3 foot length of the same Belden 4794R SDI cable to try as an experiment.

WAN (direct from router - no other switches in signal path) or LAN (NAS) > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > BJC Cat 6a > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > Uptone Audio EtherRegen powered by Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 @12v with AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10 MHz External Master Clock powered by AfterDark Modernize LPS > RPi4b/Pi2AES powered by Ferrum Hypsos LPS at 24v running Volumio as end point using Spotify Desktop App or JRiver > I2S over ethernet UTP > Metrum Onyx NOS DAC w/DAC3 Upgrade Modules > balanced AES/EBU > PS Audio SGC Preamp > balanced AES/EBU > Parasound A23 > NHT Classic Towers with dual sealed NHT subwoofers using miniDSP digital xover

Another point in using Belden 4794R SDI (Serial Digital Interface video) cable as a clock cable, is that it is 12 GHz rated over long runs with "low return loss".  Per this reference (https://www.everythingrf.com/community/what-is-return-loss), I interpret this to mean that this is not desirable with impedance mismatches, especially if the 10 MHz electrical wavelength is an integer multiple of the cable length.  I can imagine very large standing waves are possible in the worst case; which is what I think I might be experiencing.

WAN (direct from router - no other switches in signal path) or LAN (NAS) > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > BJC Cat 6a > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > Uptone Audio EtherRegen powered by Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 @12v with AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10 MHz External Master Clock powered by AfterDark Modernize LPS > RPi4b/Pi2AES powered by Ferrum Hypsos LPS at 24v running Volumio as end point using Spotify Desktop App or JRiver > I2S over ethernet UTP > Metrum Onyx NOS DAC w/DAC3 Upgrade Modules > balanced AES/EBU > PS Audio SGC Preamp > balanced AES/EBU > Parasound A23 > NHT Classic Towers with dual sealed NHT subwoofers using miniDSP digital xover

The plot thickens:  It turns out that the speed of electrical signals in space is the speed of light.  However, the speed of electrical signals in cables (Velocity of Propagation) is dependent on the material type and design of the dielectric used as a ratio to the speed of light in space.  For Belden 4794R that ration is 85%.  Therefore the wavelength of a 10 MHz clock signal through a 4794R cable is 116 ft.  I'm not sure what that means relative to potential standing waves in my 2 ft. cable.  It's close enough that it might still be a problem.

6 hours ago, Oggo said:

@ Alex:

What would be your recommendation soundwise - Mutec REF10 (@ 3,600 $) or Mutec Nano + JS-2 LPS (@ 2,760 $ + extra costs for optional cables for AC and DC)?

Depends upon your system application and needs, but the performance and refinement of the big REF10 is hard to beat—especially at the new lower price (for years it was $5K). 
Call or write if you would like one. Can ship right away. B|

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to decide if I should purchase a Mutec MC-3 + USB.

Q1. At present, I have a Ref10 Nano providing a clock signal for my EtherREGEN.  Is it just a matter of unplugging the Ref10 Nano clock cable and plugging it into the MC-3 ??  Or, would it be better to have both plugged into the MC-3 ??

Q2. Am I correct in assuming that the MC-3 should be inserted into the USB connection between my Holo Audio Red and my Holo Audio May  ???

Good review of the Mutec REF10 Nano:  https://www.alpha-audio.net/review/mutec-ref10-nano-in-time/

What a great price for such quality.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

4 hours ago, PYP said:

Good review of the Mutec REF10 Nano:  https://www.alpha-audio.net/review/mutec-ref10-nano-in-time/

What a great price for such quality.  

Indeed, everyone is quite pleased with the REF10 Nano. B| I can barely keep them in stock.

But there is something seriously wrong with Alpha-Audio/Jaap Veenstra's measurements of the REF10 Nano.  He comes up with a horrible -72dBc/Hz at 10Hz offset. Mutec specifies (and @Clockmeister has verified) -142dBc/Hz at 10Hz offset.

Really makes me question his other recent jitter/phase-noise measurements.

I am not a member of the Alpha-Audio forum so am unable to post a comment/question there. Perhaps someone else will, or perhaps I'll send Jaap (and Christian Peters at Mutec) an e-mail asking for clarification.

9 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Indeed, everyone is quite pleased with the REF10 Nano. B| I can barely keep them in stock.

But there is something seriously wrong with Alpha-Audio/Jaap Veenstra's measurements of the REF10 Nano.  He comes up with a horrible -72dBc/Hz at 10Hz offset. Mutec specifies (and @Clockmeister has verified) -142dBc/Hz at 10Hz offset.

Sorry, missed that.  Their measurement cannot be right.  

I cannot leave a comment on their website either.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

22 hours ago, Schafheide said:

I am trying to decide if I should purchase a Mutec MC-3 + USB.

Q1. At present, I have a Ref10 Nano providing a clock signal for my EtherREGEN.  Is it just a matter of unplugging the Ref10 Nano clock cable and plugging it into the MC-3 ??  Or, would it be better to have both plugged into the MC-3 ??

Q2. Am I correct in assuming that the MC-3 should be inserted into the USB connection between my Holo Audio Red and my Holo Audio May  ???

Upon further thought, the Reclocker will not be suitable - in order to play DSD1024 (or at least DSD512), the May requires either a USB or i2s connection from the MC-3+.

Hello all and good evening to you. I have a minor issue with the ER and the Mutec Ref 10 SE 120. Perhaps the folks here could answer this.

The issue is two fold and may be related?

The Mutec will not "lock". The light continually blinks.

When I power up my amplifier, the Mutec resets itself and then I have to unplug the ER for about 10 seconds to reset it, otherwise the streamer gets no signal. After that? No issues.

While the combination is one of the best audio decisions I have have made along my audio journey, I am not quite knowledgeable enough on both products working together to figure out why this is happening. I used to have a Emporer Signature ClayX Reference clock and the only change I made to the setup was to swap this out with the Mutec. These issues did not occur before the swap. The clock cable is a Project ClayX Giesemann EVA Reference, 75 ohm BNC and it is hooked up to the 75 ohm output. Different LPS's are used in this configuration , so the ER ADIM (moat) isn't shorted.

Admittedly, I did not buy the Mutec through UpTone. I was in the middle of reading the 121 page thread when I ordered the Mutec and didn't realize you became a dealer for them until I was done reading that thread and discovered this one. DOH! Anyhoo, if you don't want to help me with my inquiry, I do understand wholeheartedly and I can respect your decision. No worries.

Either way, I would just like to say that personally, my audio journey jumped to the next stratosphere of high fidelity audio when this combo was introduced! I read somewhere in the depths of this forum that anyone who had an ER and used this clock was a fool (or something to that affect). LOL. Whatever. The combo is OUTSTANDING and highly recommended!

Tom