IGNORED

Best Version of Bach Cello Suites?

I just started reading this book about the Bach Cello suites, and of course started wondering which versions are considered the best. Perhaps @JoshM’s TBVO column has got me interested 🙂

I have one by Janos Starker that I really like. 

I’d love to know what other people consider the best. 

997F9504-1471-4039-89AE-5AF73B37EB2B.jpeg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Of course, Yo Yo Ma. He has his classic older one (1983), another from 1997, and a newer interpretation from 2018.

Alisa Weilerstein has a good one that's a bit different.

David Watkin has one on period (and even older) instruments that's interesting and a bit different.

And for something completely different, there's Kuniko plays Bach J.S. Bach Solo Works for Marimba - arranged for marimba by Kuniko Kato.

https://open.qobuz.com/album/dfqhrx2cunkqb

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I don't find Ma or Rostropovich versions particularly remarkable, even though they are probably the most popular and most often mentioned. 

In my opinion, nothing on record surpasses Pablo Casals' readings. Of course, the quality of his recording is very far from audiophile requirements. I like his versions on Pearl or Opus Kura more than the EMI reissues, however recent EMI was easier to listen than earlier ones.

Some very good archival versions include those by Pierre Fournier (he has at least four) and Janos Starker (most seem to like the Mercury version more).

From the newer ones, I recommend to try Anner Bylsma, Jaap ter Linden, Pieter Wispelwey, various sets.

Watkin is not bad either and recorded well. Heinrich Schiff is interesting.

Having said that, and having mentioned several choices, I would like to recommend that you try and listen to any one that catches your attention. Surely every interested listener will find recordings that are more appealing among the considerable number of versions of Bach's cello sonatas available. Happy listening!

My favorites are

Wispelwey 1998

Jian Wang 2003/2004

Isserlis 2005/2006

Gastinel 2007

Wispelwey 2012

Also very good:
Bylsma 1979

Wispelwey 1990

Bylsma 1992

Gaillard 2001

Kniazev 2003 (slightly eccentric)

Not all bad but no longer in my collection:

Casals 1938
Fournier 1959
Kirshbaum 1993
Beschi 1996/1998
Berger 1997
Tunnicliffe 2010/2011
Enders 2012/2013
Watkins 2013

All very personal of course.

audio system

follow the money ;-) Just look up in Discogs which record commands the most, hint; it's neither of the aforementioned artists ;-)

I have auditioned quite a few by now and I do agree with what the masses vote for with their wallet (even when prices sometimes are insane).

My vote goes for either Janos Starker or Pierre Fournier, or Ludwig Hoelscher, anyone willing to part with a mint mono LP for a decent price? (EDIT: I just stumbled across a reasonably priced Fournier) 

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

3 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Interesting to see that many prefer this music as refurbished by the (post-)19th century romantic tradition, with excessive rubati, dynamics and vibrato. Paradoxically such performances mostly leave me cold.

it is isn't it...taste is very personal....

Many people seem to like Mitsuko Uchida's performances, those leave me cold...to each his own ;-)

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

Zuill Bailey performs on an instrument from 1693 (Octave Records, recorded in DSD). This is my personal favorite version, followed closely by David Watkins.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

58 minutes ago, Al Jones said:

Zuill Bailey performs on an instrument from 1693 (Octave Records, recorded in DSD). This is my personal favorite version, followed closely by David Watkins.

Thanks, I did not know that one. Rather mannered to my ears and his intonation seems off. I find that Bach benefits from performers that do not put their ego before his. 

audio system

1 minute ago, sphinxsix said:

I have about a dozen versions (all of them have already been mentioned) but I'd be very hesitant to recommend any of them in this particular place, since none of them is in Dolby Atmos.. 😉

I'm waiting for a Mono remastered Vinyl version of the Starker recording but in MQA

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I too find Maisky too smooth to rate his rendition in my top three, still it's enjoyable

I have a half a dozen versions of the Cello Suites. One of my favorites is the 2007 version by Jean-Guihen Queyras. 

I recommend listening to the 2019 violin transcription of the Suites by Rachel Podger. For me, it was a fresh, and very enjoyable rediscovery of the Suites. And the sound is great. 

image.thumb.jpeg.01bcb97a8114d681d7b2ea569584619f.jpeg

10 hours ago, Jud said:

I always go for feeling over pure technical prowess.

They don't exclude each other after all, IMO one of the best example is many times Maisky's music partner, Martha Argerich who while being a fantastic technician has given us so many highly emotionally charged performances.

5 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I could be wrong, but his interpretation must be overly romantic, more Tchaikovsky than Bach.

That's also how I remember a quick listen to his versions.

5 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Both Wispelwey or Bylsma, for example, recorded the cycle several times. 

There are also two recordings by Maisky, AFAI remember they are quite similar, the second one, I think was a bit faster.

4 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

I too find Maisky too smooth to rate his rendition in my top three

Same here, he didn't even make it to my top dozen.

OTOH I'd also highly recommend this recording (I'm even bigger fan of Podger after seeing her live recently, she's my favorite baroque violinist):

58 minutes ago, Dandou said:

I recommend listening to the 2019 violin transcription of the Suites by Rachel Podger. For me, it was a fresh, and very enjoyable rediscovery of the Suites. And the sound is great. 

image.thumb.jpeg.01bcb97a8114d681d7b2ea569584619f.jpeg

10 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Listening now. 

F32931EE-E941-4695-A6E3-107BAFDFD909.png

👍 Also IMO - a very good performance!