IGNORED

Expectation Bias

kennyb123

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

A sample of one would never be accepted by you, for any subjective endeavor. It shouldn't be accepted for an objective endeavor. 

I've accepted a sample of one in DBTs for many years. As I said above, to me the value of DBTs is in proving things to yourself, not to someone else.

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm still searching for those true DBTs and the results. Can't find any. 

Are you looking for my DBT results? I've mentioned them online a number of times over the years, but, as I said, I don't do these to prove something to others. I've done hundreds of DBTs, everything from DACs, to speakers, to digital filters and DSP and room correction curves. 

15 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm still searching for those true DBTs and the results. Can't find any. 

Perhaps you could share with us your definition of a "true DBT".

To me, it simply means a test in which both parties are unaware of which equipment they are listening to during the test.

I'm pretty sure that the tests Fred Toole designed for Harman met this criteria.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

3 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Are you looking for my DBT results? I've mentioned them online a number of times over the years, but, as I said, I don't do these to prove something to others. I've done hundreds of DBTs, everything from DACs, to speakers, to digital filters and DSP and room correction curves. 

I'm really interested in your methodology for items like DACs and speakers. this seems nearly impossible to conduct without a team of people and a rigorous process. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, botrytis said:

The point is with a DBT, is you don't know what you are listening to. If you don't know, then HOW can you have expectations?

This is s popular belief for those with a more objective mindset. Many of those people, not you specifically, believe all DACs sound the same, all amps sound the same, all bit perfect audio sounds the same. If everything sounds the same, it's pretty easy to see how one's expectations will dictate the outcome. 

8 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Perhaps you could share with us your definition of a "true DBT".

To me, it simply means a test in which both parties are unaware of which equipment they are listening to during the test.

I'm pretty sure that the tests Fred Toole designed for Harman met this criteria.

I'm no expert in DBTs and I don't think anyone here is. Conducting DBTs is a profession in and of itself. I think a true DBT would mean that nobody in the "room" knows what is being tested. They don't know if it's a codec, amp, DAC, speaker, or even the softness of the chair on which they are sitting, that is being tested. It seems like that would be the only way to do a DBT, but I still think it's a bit crazy to expect usable results in a consumer audio application.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

5 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

The main test design considerations for me are to:

1. Ensure the same output level, or as close as possible between devices under test (DUTs)

2. Randomize switching between the devices for each trial, so that I don't know which device is in circuit. This also means that I don't know if a device was really changed or not between trials. If done by computer, this is automatically a DBT. If done by a friend or family member, you need to make sure they are not providing any clues to what they are doing when switching devices and use a random number generator to pick which device to switch (or not to switch).

3. Allow for as long as necessary sighted comparison to try to learn the differences between devices before running the test

4. Perform at least 10 (usually 15) trials with random switching, have the software keep track of correct/incorrect results

5. I usually perform fast switching between devices during testing, but sometimes I spend a lot longer after each switch to try to let my "subconscious" detect differences that I'm not catching on the conscious level.

6. If I get a 5% p-value result or better, I assume there is a difference. Anything worse than that, I might rerun the test if I still feel that I can hear the differences. 

DACs are fairly easy. ABX or similar methodology can be used to switch between DAC recordings. I've developed my own testing software, but Foobar and a few others do this, mostly automatically. A more complex design would involve switching through a preamp or a line switcher. If this can't be controlled by a computer (say through a remote control software), then a family member or a friend can do this, as long as there's no visual or audible communication possible (or any other tells, like the time it takes to switch) between them and me at the listening position.

Speakers are a more complicated device to test, as switching between speakers isn't easy, and hiding speakers requires a little ingenuity, level matching is harder, and speaker positioning can be a problem, especially if these are different size/driver position. I've only done this a few times at a local dealer where the speakers were not visible to me, covered up by fabric, and someone outside of my field of view did the switching based on a random number generator. This was a preference test, it wasn't to detect if the two sets of speakers sounded different. Harman has done extensive speaker testing and built an automated facility for doing so. Of course, I don't have the same resources available to me 🤨

How do you control for bias? If you run 100 tests of DACs and they all measure "perfect" or at least without any issues that you believe can be heard, testing the 101st DAC will be impossible to do without having a bias that they are all the same and without sonic differences. If you expect no difference, you likely won't hear a difference. 

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

How do you control for bias? If you run 100 tests of DACs and they all measure "perfect" or at least without any issues that you believe can be heard, testing the 101st DAC will be impossible to do without having a bias that they are all the same and without sonic differences. If you expect no difference, you likely won't hear a difference. 

Random selection controls for bias. If I can't hear a difference between DACs in a sighted a test, I don't do a blind test, to me there's no point. If I do hear differences in a sighted test, then I validate my findings using a blind test. In most cases, I find there are no audible differences, but I have found some DACs (including in some online tests) that I can detect in a blind test, so I guess I'm not all that biased against DACs ;)

11 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Random selection controls for bias. If I can't hear a difference between DACs in a sighted a test, I don't do a blind test, to me there's no point. If I do hear differences in a sighted test, then I validate my findings using a blind test. In most cases, I find there are no audible differences, but I have found some DACs (including in some online tests) that I can detect in a blind test, so I guess I'm not all that biased against DACs ;)

Thanks for the follow up. I still don't see how random selection can control for bias. If one's expectation bias, which isn't a conscious process, tells him there can't be a difference, he won't hear a difference.

It really comes down to trusting oneself to do the test without bias, but as you said ...

On 9/20/2022 at 6:25 AM, pkane2001 said:

Expectation bias is not a conscious process. 

25 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

If I can't hear a difference between DACs in a sighted a test, I don't do a blind test, to me there's no point.

Help me with the logic here. Isn't this the same logical error, but in reverse, of accepting that you do here are difference while sighted? It's sighted, so that effects you and your bias is not conscious. 

I can see this being an issue with Mk1 and Mk2 of the same DAC. Same external look, and only marketing claims from the manufacture that there is a difference. It isn't possible to remove one's bias.

However, I totally understand that you aren't conducting DBTs for a research facility and it's your own methodology to satisfy you. Completely understandable. But, it all seems very subjective and selective. 

20 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Help me with the logic here. Isn't this the same logical error, but in reverse, of accepting that you do here are difference while sighted? It's sighted, so that effects you and your bias is not conscious. 

I can see this being an issue with Mk1 and Mk2 of the same DAC. Same external look, and only marketing claims from the manufacture that there is a difference. It isn't possible to remove one's bias.

However, I totally understand that you aren't conducting DBTs for a research facility and it's your own methodology to satisfy you. Completely understandable. But, it all seems very subjective and selective. 

You're still stuck on me trying to prove something to others. I'm only interested in things that make an audible difference to me. If I can't hear it sighted, I don't care about testing it further. 

19 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

You're still stuck on me trying to prove something to others. I'm only interested in things that make an audible difference to me. If I can't hear it sighted, I don't care about testing it further. 

To a certain extent I hoped your information could be helpful to others as well as me. 

I think DBTs should be considered the bronze standard. Pretty good, but far from perfect. Touting them as evidence of anything in consumer audio is a bit preposterous. 

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

To a certain extent I hoped your information could be helpful to others as well as me. 

I think DBTs should be considered the bronze standard. Pretty good, but far from perfect. Touting them as evidence of anything in consumer audio is a bit preposterous. 

Not quite. Properly done DBTs are the gold standard for bias-controlled testing and is the main thing that is used as evidence of anything related to perception. In audio or any other field where perception is involved, "sighted" testing just doesn't even rise to the bronze level. Maybe wood :) The fact that most audiophile companies don't do DBTs doesn't change their importance or value, in fact, maybe it points to where the industry has room to improve.

Audio enthusiast-done DBTs are not going to rise to the level of a scientific study. That's not surprising or unexpected. Once again, the value here is in proving things to yourself rather than to someone else.

11 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Not quite. Properly done DBTs are the gold standard for bias-controlled testing and is the main thing that is used as evidence of anything related to perception. In audio or any other field where perception is involved, "sighted" testing just doesn't even rise to the bronze level. Maybe wood :) The fact that most audiophile companies don't do DBTs doesn't change their importance or value, in fact, maybe it points to where the industry has room to improve.

Audio enthusiast-done DBTs are not going to rise to the level of a scientific study. That's not surprising or unexpected. Once again, the value here is in proving things to yourself rather than to someone else.

Your enthusiasm for DBTs is very evident and honest. I certainly can’t fault you for that. I just disagree with you about their usefulness in consumer audio. I get hung up on, what seems to me, is a lack of controlling for all bias. Perhaps it’s irrational to expect all bias to be controlled. 

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks for the follow up. I still don't see how random selection can control for bias. If one's expectation bias, which isn't a conscious process, tells him there can't be a difference, he won't hear a difference.

My feeling is that any difference so slight that it disappears due to expectation bias isn't moving the dial much from an SQ standpoint.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull