IGNORED

Expectation Bias

kennyb123

2 minutes ago, hopkins said:

The original file can only be listened to through a system... 

Let's say you play a music file through a DAC and record it using an ADC. Then you listen to the resulting file, and compare it by listening to the original music file. You are listening through a system, and cannot make any assumptions on any subjective differences (or the lack thereof). 

It's probably a fun tool to play with, but I don't see what conclusions you can come to in terms of DAC performance and subjective results. Especially not the ones you  made above (no jitter issue with USB, or no jitter issue with an on-board clock). 

Sorry, didn't finish typing the response. You listen to the null/difference file which is the difference between the original and the loopback.

7 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Sorry, didn't finish typing the response. You listen to the null/difference file which is the difference between the original and the loopback.

Even worse! You listen to noise (or it's absence). What does that tell you? Nothing really. And anyway you are back to listening to a system. 

As I said, this is certainly fun but I don't see how you can come to any serious conclusions regarding DAC accuracy. 

Just now, hopkins said:

Even worse! You listen to noise (or it's absence). What does that tell you? Nothing really. And anyway you are back to listening to a system. 

As I said, this is certainly fun but I don't see how you can come to any conclusions regarding DAC accuracy. 

Hmm? It tells you how audible the difference is. If you can't hear it on your system, then the difference is not audible. On your system.

So, what is it called when I insert a new component into the system, with the expectation that it will sound a certain way, as based on the wordy, but oh so boring review of Dr. Longwood, Chief Reviewer for The Absolute Snob, and it sounds nothing like Dr. Golden Ears says it should?

Unexpectation bias?  

10 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm saying that @pkane2001is providing objective information, but after posting to links to some info, you're back on your subjective train. 

I am just reacting to his claims. I am pointing out what I see are the limitations of this tool - I am sure it has some use cases, but vis à vis my original post it cannot be used to confirm/infirm these hypotheses. 

Just now, hopkins said:

I am just reacting to his claims. I am pointing out what I see are the limitations of this tool - I am sure it has some use cases, but vis à vis my original post it cannot be used to reach an objective conclusion.

You're saying his objective information isn't valid, but for subjective reasons. Either provide an objective reason why he is wrong, or move your comments to a subjective thread. Appealing to the ECDesigns authority doesn't count.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You're saying his objective information isn't valid, but for subjective reasons. Either provide an objective reason why he is wrong, or move your comments to a subjective thread. Appealing to the ECDesigns authority doesn't count.

Listening to delta files recorded with an ADC is not an "objective" way of evaluating DAC accuracy. Period. There is no need to provide "objective" data to understand that something makes no sense... 

If you don't see the value of providing expert's information on audio "mechanisms" in this forum, fine. 

I was curious to see what another "expert" thought about it, but his comments on those technical aspects were off topic, and the discussion on the deltawave tool is secondary. 

Goodnight. 

45 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Listening to delta files recorded with an ADC is not an "objective" way of evaluating DAC accuracy. Period. There is no need to provide "objective" data to understand that something makes no sense... 

If you don't see the value of providing expert's information on audio "mechanisms" in this forum, fine. 

I was curious to see what another "expert" thought about it, but his comments on those technical aspects were off topic, and the discussion on the deltawave tool is secondary. 

Goodnight. 

Your appeal to authority of ecdedigns at every turn is a bit misguided. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Your appeal to authority of ecdedigns at every turn is a bit misguided. 

a) it's not an appeal to authority. These are genuinely interesting considerations, and food for thought

b) I'd be happy to quote any other engineer offering a semblance of explanation for some of the aspects of digital audio that practically every audiophile experiences daily (whether they know it or not) 

c) I'll agree that AS is most probably the wrong place to discuss the inner workings of audio. Most people here don't care. The resident experts are more interested in promoting their products than getting involved in these discussions 

d) your point of view is completely irrelevant to me.

Feel free to block my account if you wish. AudiophileStyle no longer offers much content of interest to me. 99% of the posts are written by the same 1% of contributors, and frankly most of them have little value. 

16 minutes ago, hopkins said:

a) it's not an appeal to authority. These are genuinely interesting considerations, and food for thought

b) I'd be happy to quote any other engineer offering a semblance of explanation for some of the aspects of digital audio that practically every audiophile experiences daily (whether they know it or not) 

c) I'll agree that AS is most probably the wrong place to discuss the inner workings of audio. Most people here don't care. The resident experts are more interested in promoting their products than getting involved in these discussions 

d) your point of view is completely irrelevant to me.

Feel free to block my account if you wish. AudiophileStyle no longer offers much content of interest to me. 99% of the posts are written by the same 1% of contributors, and frankly most of them have little value. 

Ok. Bye. 

On 9/28/2022 at 7:34 PM, pkane2001 said:

Is it naive to expect some validity to the claims made about often very expensive pieces of equipment?

No but how many audiophiles expect that?

Most are willing to have their expectations modelled by the reviews they read, and they're in it for the journey not the destination thus rarely out for a one time buy.

The ASR Church of thought fails on three accounts: audiophiles don't care about budget plastic gear that you buy off Amazon, they enjoy box-swapping (you can call it degustation) and each of us has a particular preference so the idea that we will all enjoy the "sonic presentation" of a pair of all-in-one Genelec or an entry-level DAC is too absurd to take seriously. Cruzades are rarely selfless and the outcome is likely to be a bad one...

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

9 hours ago, hopkins said:

Goodnight. 

Any kind of material or listening session can potentially be objective. Perhaps you mean free-of-bias?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Just now, Iving said:

If your issue is with "manufacturers making money off of the ignorance of their consumers", why not pick your fight there, instead of being preoccupied with other people's "medication" or their own private "matrix".

Your reference to "reality" here is mis-footed. The hobbyist's "experience" and "journey" are legitimate realities.

The ASR community is not open-minded. Unless you are in tune with the ASR "bench measurement" culture, you will be harried out of that Forum for mere attempted participation - and treated as an object of ridicule before you leave. That Forum has nothing to do with science. The ASR community is exclusive because it is afraid of Science.

I doubt that the majority of ASR folks are refugees from subjectivism (no matter what they say). Probably many like the belonging aspect, and become "converts" after the fact. I think that what ASR people (who lurk and then stay) have in common is a blend of human personality dispositions. In that respect they aren't much different to folks who flock together at other places. The ghetto is a somewhat regrettable component of human existence.

Your view is noted. I don't pick fights, I just share my views and experience.

10 minutes ago, Iving said:

Your reference to "reality" here is mis-footed. The hobbyist's "experience" and "journey" are legitimate realities.

The irony is that this is posted in the "objective" part of the forum. Reality isn't what you think or believe. The objective approach is to try to learn about the reality despite the limitations of our senses and our biases.

What does objective mean?

In most of its common uses, objective is contrasted with subjective, often as if it’s the opposite. Objective most commonly means not influenced by an individual’s personal viewpoint—unbiased (or at least attempting to be unbiased). It’s often used to describe things like observations, decisions, or reports that are based on an unbiased analysis.

Something that’s truly objective has nothing to do with a person’s own feelings or views—it just deals with facts. When someone says “Objectively speaking,” they’re indicating that they’re going to give an unbiased assessment—not one based on their personal preferences.

9 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Your view is noted. I don't pick fights, I just share my views and experience.

Thank you. I don't mean to provoke with "pick your fight there". I could just as well have said "campaign where it counts". I'm happy to pitch in here wrt mQa, and on sh.tv regards MoFi. Caring about consumers getting a fair crack of the whip is a good thing.

6 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

The irony is that this is posted in the "objective" part of the forum. Reality isn't what you think or believe. The objective approach is to try to learn about the reality despite the limitations of our senses and our biases.

OK. I haven't said much in this thread. It didn't look much like a strictly Objective conversation!

My remarks a page or two back, about fitting experimental designs as an advance on DBTs, are relevant.