IGNORED

Expectation Bias

kennyb123

If people think placebo effect /expectation bias is not part of audio decisions, it will be difficult to have objective conversations about it.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 hour ago, Shadorne said:

Expectation bias is everywhere and exploited everywhere for profit and power/control. Hi-fi isn’t exempt from this - like medicine it is actually highly susceptible because placebo effect is based on feelings/impressions and so hard to measure and eliminate (unlike MPG epa ratings). Climate Change presupposes that climate isn’t supposed to change (it is a set up because climate has never ever been fixed). A high end restaurant will serve food in a top class setting with well dressed clean servers as our expectation is lower when we get food delivered in a paper bag by someone in sweatpants and a hoody. I could go on but if you don’t see it absolutely EVERYWHERE and aren’t tuned into it - especially coming from “authority” and especially after the pandemic then you may have been born in the last rain…

This is the objective forum, please stick to objective data. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

49 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is the objective forum, please stick to objective data. 

Do you mean for the purposes of audio discussions on this thread, stick to “measured performance, THD, SINEAD, gold, silver etc” - things that can be measured objectively?

There is still a problem with total pure objectivity (like ASR website makes effort to steer towards) in that a pure gold or pure silver cable can be objectively measured to a degree of purity - similar to THD, SINEAD etc. However objective data is not all of equal importance or relevance to fidelity or what we hear. MP3 lossy compression is terrible fidelity but still sounds pretty good.

I am just saying we are kind of trapped no matter how objective one tries to be.

21 minutes ago, Shadorne said:

Do you mean for the purposes of audio discussions on this thread, stick to “measured performance, THD, SINEAD, gold, silver etc” - things that can be measured objectively?

There is still a problem with total pure objectivity (like ASR website makes effort to steer towards) in that a pure gold or pure silver cable can be objectively measured to a degree of purity - similar to THD, SINEAD etc. However objective data is not all of equal importance or relevance to fidelity or what we hear. MP3 lossy compression is terrible fidelity but still sounds pretty good.

I am just saying we are kind of trapped no matter how objective one tries to be.

This specific sub forum is for objective discussions only. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

17 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I “tried” it 13 years ago :~)

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/5891-mcgurk-effect-video-try-this-one-~/

Sorry again, I missed this. My apologies for the repetition, I obviously should have checked to see if this has been posted already. I feel like I am a lightweight here and just way out of my depth. Good luck and thanks for the fish!

25 minutes ago, Shadorne said:

Sorry again, I missed this. My apologies for the repetition, I obviously should have checked to see if this has been posted already. I feel like I am a lightweight here and just way out of my depth. Good luck and thanks for the fish!

Please don't follow your feeling (in that case)

Only a minimal chance for the lower 99% in this forum to know about Chris ancient experiences. Nothing wrong to post that video.

For anybody new here your contribution might be absolutely fine.

Stay tuned @Shadorne

Edit: the objective forum didn't exist back then ...