IGNORED

Tuttle et al v Audiophile Music Direct

36 minutes ago, Gonzbul said:

You can't get that sound from Digital

Yeah you can: the right VSP plugins and DSP and/or a tube pre. Or a digital tube emulator.

I can even add the various noises that turntables and record playback adds to music reproduction. Actual turntable sounds, digitized. Makes your clean digital file sound like it's being played from an LP:

Adds surface noise, tracking noise, etc. Or the distortion added by the analog desks from Abbey Road.

I can even pops and clicks if you want them. 

All the glories of LP inaccuracy.

Sounds just like the old days.

I'm not joking.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

22 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

IMO it's all really simple:

People paid a premium price for something that wasn't what was advertised.

If I ordered a Beef Wellington at a restaurant and was charged a Beef Wellington price I'd be p*ssed if I got a sausage roll, no matter how good it tasted.

If they were so sure they made the best sounding recordings why not just say that, instead of lying?

It's up to the individual what they want to do with their records, but isn't false advertising a crime? (Unless you're a politician, of course.)

Everything you say is true. But they are offering people their money back. That should be all that's necessary.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

5 hours ago, Jud said:

I think the difficulty with saying it was OK to leave out information in this instance is that the impression it created was deceptive. MoFi's diagram of its process and the name "One Step" simply weren't true.

Legally speaking, I think that's enough to meet a particular element of a deceptive marketing case, but (to repeat something I've said earlier in the thread) I don't see what MoFi owes the consumers besides a refund.

Deciding to leave information out of your marketing because you don't want consumers getting into technical details they don't understand is a legitimate decision that consumers can choose to react to as they wish. Picking and choosing marketing information so as to leave consumers with a false impression of your product is not the same thing and is of course wrong.

Reminds me of DAC manufacturers who refuse to disclose what chips they are using or even alter circuit boards so the names are erased. They've  been burned by armchair engineers who are sure a certain component is "meaningful" in how the entire device sounds. They don't disclose that information so that an entire device isn't rejected on the mistaken beliefs of audiophiles who are (mistakenly) certain that a certain part means an entire device will sound a certain way.

5 hours ago, Iving said:

Scary

Americans generally aren't taught geography; and b/c they live in a giant country with oceans on 2 sides and one major language, they don't feel they need to know much about the world. Most Americans don't have a passport and never leave the US. Travel for them is in the US. 

Beyond that, I've always had a problem with the "Jay-walking" bit: yes, some of the people are ignoramuses; but others I think are so intimidated by the presence of Jay Lenno that their brains just don't function.

19 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

The education gap between their respective memberships is now the defining difference between our two political parties. 

There are plenty of "educated" people who are ignorant. Education - as defined by a degree - doesn't mean you actually know much or have insight.

At least up till Corona, the anti-Vax movement was dominated by "highly educated" people, for one example. 

Lots of Americans with Bachelor and advanced degrees know zip about geography, general history, mathematics, and science.

They simply aren't taught it and the culture doesn't value that knowledge outside of areas where it has a direct economic value. 

Just now, PeterG said:

I often buy CDs just on seeing they have been reviewed.  This was the case a month or so ago when I saw Mark Smotroff's July 6 (pre-MoFi news) Audiophile Review coverage of Ella Fitzgerald at the Hollywood Bowl.  I was disappointed with the sonics (maybe I should read the reviews? haha), so returned to the review just now.  HA!  It includes a pragmatic discussion of all the issues here--how tech and media issues interact with sonics, how these things are described to listeners, and how to put that into a buying decision context.  Hat's off to Mr Smotroff, he anticipated the whole thing:

Sonics wise, Ella At The Hollywood Bowl sounds very good all things considered — it is after all a 60-plus year old analog tape captured from the soundboard, recorded live without a net. I enjoyed listening to it on vinyl a bit more than I did the high resolution 96 kHz, 24-bit stream on Qobuz (click here) which sounded a bit bright. So the vinyl presentation helps to warm things up — a little bit. Curiously, the album was not completely available yet on Tidal but the couple of songs that are there (click here) sounded a bit less bright (if you will), streaming at 48 kHz, 24-bit resolution.  It is also streaming on Apple Music (click here for Hi Res Lossless).

AR-EllaHollywoodBowlPinkVMP450.jpg

I do suspect this original tape source was digitally remastered for this release. In the album liner notes, a company called Izotope — which manufactures digital audio workstation type software — is credited. I don’t view this as necessarily bad but the result is a more modern sounding release than one might expect from a 1958 live concert captured on analog reel-to-reel tape. This production style is probably a 21st century necessity if this recording was to have any chance at a life on the Internet as well as modern day radio and TV applications. So, analog purists do set your expectations accordingly.

In the world of Grateful Dead tape traders, this is what people used to call “a crisp soundboard.” 

Don't think there's much reason to prefer a high res version of such an old album from tape. The tape recorders in the 50's and even into the 60's (not to mention the microphones) didn't record anything above 15k. 

You want a good remaster, but in such a case there's unlikely any reason a hi-res version would snecessarily sound better than a Redbook one. 

1 hour ago, PYP said:

I don't want to be part of the culture wars, but just want to say that Almond/Soy/Oat Milk is NOT milk.  OK?  When one calls the product, for example, Almond Milk it makes the consumer imagine that a friendly made-for-TV farmer is milking a seed.   This is so misleading!

If it's labelled Almond/Soy/Oat etc. it's clear what it is. Unless you are either really dumb or intentionally ignorant.

I don't think "sugar substitute" is telling people it's sugar.

Same thing with plant sourced meat. Label it clearly and correctly, and no reason meat can't be used in the name. Obviously the meat producers don't want that. That doesn't impress me. 

50 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is like spending millions of dollars of one's own money on a political campaign to win a job that pays a hundred thousand. There is more at play than meets the eye. 

Quite possibly. Or someone feels aggrieved and has money they don't know what to do with.

35 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

However, now that I look at it, is there a digital step? 25,000 copies? I don't know how this works.

AFAIR, when the big hi-res releases of KOB came out a number of years ago, they already said the original tapes had been transferred to digital and wouldn't be touched again - as they were degraded to the point where they couldn't be played anymore. 

Note that your ad doesn't say it's an all analog process. Only that the source is the original analog- which a digital source made from the original master tapes is.

I also seem to remember that the original mono mix tape didn't exist anymore - so either a safety copy or a remix had to be used (or something like that). 

edit: found this: https://www.analogplanet.com/content/miles-davis-kind-blue-monophonic-reissue-sonylegacy-analog-planet-exclusive#GgvHFW0KVw0v0f8q.97

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Sounds similar to how we got into this whole mess 🙂

Yep, but no graphic that omits the digitization and makes it seem all analog.

See the above link: It's also possible they are using a 5Oth anniversary mixdown tape, which also is derived from the original analog (as was the original stereo release), but isn't the stereo master tape from 1957.

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Not being familiar with this stuff, can those press 25,000 copies?

Depends what you are referring to by "plates". AFAIK, They can make lots of stampers and produce lots of copies. They can also make new master lacquers from the tapes. Or make a copy of the master tape and produce more copies that way.  My understanding is that this was done back in the day when some albums sold millions. That's why the serious collectors look at the run out groove on the record to see what master/laquer was used. 

MOFI got exposed b/c they started selling numbers that didn't match the "one step" claims.

24 minutes ago, Jud said:

Did anyone happen to notice Fremer and the summary of the Kassem interview appear to be in conflict? (Bernie Grundman cutting direct to two channel with no mix down, vs. Kevin Gray mix.)

Not sure I understand the conflict. Bernie was allowed to work in 1994 with the original 3 track tapes. He mixed them down on the fly to create the master.

Wilder (not Gray)was working 20 years later with highly degraded tapes. So he copied them digitally to DSD and high res to preserve them.

He also made tape mono and stereo mixdowns and both LPs and digital releases were made from his analog and digital copies.

The tapes haven't been used since. So either the plates from 1995 have to be used, or Wilder's digital/analog copies. 

Just now, Jud said:

"...mix done in 1995 by Kevin Gray for Classic Records...."

?

I'm pretty sure he corrected that somewhere.