IGNORED

Article: The Best Version Of... Muddy Waters’s Folk Singer

Wow @JoshM! Where to begin? 

hdsd.jpgThis is one of those albums I purchased just because. I heard it was good and I saw an HDAD version at Acoustic Sounds back in the day. This is the only version I've ever listened to because I've loved it so much over the years. Until now, I really knew nothing about Muddy or the album. I just new I loved the music and the sound. 

Now, I love it even more! This info is amazing. I must find the MFSL version!

Thanks so much Josh. Incredible!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Amazing job, Josh. Is this the MFSL CD being reviewed: 

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab ‎– UDCD 593, Chess ‎– UDCD 593?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

5 hours ago, PeterG said:

A great piece on what is undoubtedly one of the best sounding CDs of all time.  Thanks!

Now I just need to get busy on your recs in footnote 1...

Thank you! Blues Hoot is probably the one most likely to appeal to Folk Singer fans, and overall I think the Hooker album is the best sounding of the three. The Dixon albums is great, but has some early-stereo hard panning that sounds awkward now.

4 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

Josh, you truly have the patience of Job. I do not know how you do it. The only version of this recording I have is the MoFi gold CD and it is indeed superb. 

Thank you for the kind comments. Each TBVO is a labor of love!

3 hours ago, firedog said:

Amazing job, Josh. Is this the MFSL CD being reviewed: 

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab ‎– UDCD 593, Chess ‎– UDCD 593?

Yes, that's the right MFSL. Unlike some albums that MFSL has transferred/mastered/issued a few times, so far they've only done Folk Singer once, and it was on Moffat's original GAIN system.

Wow @JoshM, you have outdone yourself!

Masterful "audiophile" writing for a well-deserved "audiophile" album. Bravo! Keep up the amazing work. 👍

Time to go enjoy Muddy Waters (I've only got the Classic DVD with 24/192 version)... 😃

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Hi-

I've listened to this several times  in the last few days.

Can I say something sacrilegious?

I think there's too much echo and reverb on this. Especially on Muddy's voice. Makes him sound at times like he's singing from that basement, as it were.

I think it would sound better if Muddy was a little less echoey, and a bit more unaltered, present and up front. 

Not saying it isn't really good sounding overall - great tone, space of instruments, etc. 

Sorry if this offends someone.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

10 hours ago, firedog said:

Hi-

I've listened to this several times  in the last few days.

Can I say something sacrilegious?

I think there's too much echo and reverb on this. Especially on Muddy's voice. Makes him sound at times like he's singing from that basement, as it were.

I think it would sound better if Muddy was a little less echoey, and a bit more unaltered, present and up front. 

Not saying it isn't really good sounding overall - great tone, space of instruments, etc. 

Sorry if this offends someone.

There’s a link in the article where Steve Hoffman expresses the same thing. I wouldn’t mind a remixed version without the echo, but the echo was part of the Chess sound, and I enjoy it. 

If you like a drier acoustic blues sound, listen to the Blues Hoot album mentioned in the first footnote. 

Thanks for such a detailed insight into this recording. My personal favorite version is the Mobile Fidelity One-Step vinyl that I ripped to 24/352 via an RME ADI-2 Pro and streamed from a Lumin A1. It sounds like the most  lifelike of the versions I have which are a 24/192 from Classic Records and a ripped 24/352 version of the AP 45 RPM

Josh. Thank you again for the in-depth. I LOVE these articles of yours. I happily own the MFSL Gold.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

I just published a brief update. I didn't wait to receive my own copy of the 2002 Discovery CD from overseas, since images online showed that it shared the same liner notes as the 2010 Master SACD that I already owned, as well as nearly identical catalog numbers. The 2002 Discovery CD arrived yesterday, and it's a different mastering. It's not good, but it's different. So, for completeness's sake, I've changed a few paragraphs in the TBVO to reflect this.