IGNORED

Article: The Immersive Audiophile Update 4

Your set up will be interesting.  I am glad to see that you are incorporating both multichannel and stereo into a single system.  I have been doing multichannel since the great DVD-Audio/SACD wars and have gone through multiple iterations.  I currently have the following paths:

Movies and music that I want room corrected except for DSD audio

NAS/Disc/Internet ->Home Theater Computer -> HDMI -> Pre/Pro -> Amps -> Speakers

Music that I do not want room corrected and DSD audio

NAS/Disc/Internet -> Home Theater Computer -> USB -> External 8 Channel DAC -> Pre/Pro (with digital bypass on) -> Amps -> Speakers

Analog

Source -> Pre/Pro -> Amps -> Speakers

I have found this set up to be the best for my situation.  I can do everything (audio/video) from my phone or a tablet.

Let me know when DSTOM and Apocalypse Now are playing...I might have to cruise up I-35 from Austin...maybe @austinpop will carpool.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Great series of articles on ATMOS music.  I am looking forward to your processor selection.  The dealer that supplied most of my 9.1.6 system (used primarily right now as a home theater, and I have a separate 2 channel system in another room) recommended Lyngdorf MP60 2.1 over a Trinnov due to the differences in room correction.  He felt that Lyngdorf's Room Perfect worked without changing the basic sound of the speakers, while Trinnov's Optimizer did change the basic sound of the speakers.  As the Trinnovs were out of my budget (the Lyngdorf was as well, but not so much) I was happy to go with the Lyngdorf.  I like my Lyngdorf and am interested in your evaluation.

19 minutes ago, JHG said:

Great series of articles on ATMOS music.  I am looking forward to your processor selection.  The dealer that supplied most of my 9.1.6 system (used primarily right now as a home theater, and I have a separate 2 channel system in another room) recommended Lyngdorf MP60 2.1 over a Trinnov due to the differences in room correction.  He felt that Lyngdorf's Room Perfect worked without changing the basic sound of the speakers, while Trinnov's Optimizer did change the basic sound of the speakers.  As the Trinnovs were out of my budget (the Lyngdorf was as well, but not so much) I was happy to go with the Lyngdorf.  I like my Lyngdorf and am interested in your evaluation.

Great to hear @JHG I love hearing what everyone is using and their experience. I know @ted_b also has a Lyngdorf. Word on the street is that the McIntosh processor is a Lyngdorf under the covers :~)

I talked to a rep from Lyngdorf and like what they products offer for the money. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

10 minutes ago, bobflood said:

If I had this system and being a former pilot, I would want to put a huge screen in front and hook-up a monster computer to run MS Flight Simulator. That way I could re-live the thrill of flying through a thunderstorm and hear the torrents of rain beat the hell out of the windscreen. Add in loud turbine engine noise and I would feel right at home. Then I would add a shaker seat so I could again get that visceral feeling of terror from the turbulence trying to tear the airframe apart. But, how beautiful it is when you emerge on the other side.

I love that!

It’s theater of the mind, audio only for me, but I love hearing what others enjoy. 

@AudioDoctor may want the sim as well. I believe he’s in the air today. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

32 minutes ago, bobflood said:

If I had this system and being a former pilot, I would want to put a huge screen in front and hook-up a monster computer to run MS Flight Simulator. That way I could re-live the thrill of flying through a thunderstorm and hear the torrents of rain beat the hell out of the windscreen. Add in loud turbine engine noise and I would feel right at home. Then I would add a shaker seat so I could again get that visceral feeling of terror from the turbulence trying to tear the airframe apart. But, how beautiful it is when you emerge on the other side.

It's all fun and games till you're at 43,000 feel trying to figure out why your fuel burn is completely out of whack so you start looking for divert options and there is no reset button.

19 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I love that!

It’s theater of the mind, audio only for me, but I love hearing what others enjoy. 

@AudioDoctor may want the sim as well. I believe he’s in the air today. 

I prefer my emergencies to only happen in the sim.  

44842654_10161121017635720_6079505084838838272_o.jpg

I wasn't planning on being in Denver today, but her I am anyway. No emergency, just weirdness I'd rather figure out on the ground than in the air.

No electron left behind.

1 minute ago, AudioDoctor said:

It's all fun and games till you're at 43,000 feel trying to figure out why your fuel burn is completely out of whack so you start looking for divert options and there is no reset button.

I prefer my emergencies to only happen in the sim.  

44842654_10161121017635720_6079505084838838272_o.jpg

Takes me back a long while. The Sabre 60 sim was night only and glass cockpits were a dream. Thanks, Doc

6 hours ago, JHG said:

He felt that Lyngdorf's Room Perfect worked without changing the basic sound of the speakers, while Trinnov's Optimizer did change the basic sound of the speakers.  A

I'm using a Trinnov and it does change how my speakers sound, but I'm not sure I get what he means by "basic sound."

If I walked out of the room and came back in, I would have to listen for a while before I told you if the processor (what they call Optimizer) was on or off, so in that sense I would say the basic sound is the same. However, switching it on and off while seated, it is very obvious which is which. With it on, and I'm talking 2 channel here, things open up, soundstage increases and deepens, it gets smoother like butter in a good way, not a glossed over way, and it just sounds better. I attribute that more to phase correction than frequency as my speakers are plus/minus 5 dB in my room uncorrected. They are flatter corrected but not dramatically  (the slight rise below 100 and roll off above 2K is programmed into my target curve) so that can't explain what is happening. 

Capture.JPG

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

14 hours ago, bobflood said:

My game was EF2000 for DOS and later Windows.  Actually had 4-5 hour missions...thank heavens there was a fast forward button.  IL-2 would be awesome in an Atmos setup!

I have to stop thinking like that...

PS - Sorry but my Dad was a B-52 Navigator (among other planes) and I think in the military spectrum...I tried MSFS but grow bored after a few minutes if no Migs are about.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

36 minutes ago, PeterG said:

You've definitely answered my question of a few weeks ago--how does 7.1.4 reconcile quality with budget when so many more speakers and other hardware are necessary?  Answer: stop worrying about trivial things like money when music is involved. 

OK--I'm in!  Very excited to hear how it sounds...

Many roads lead to Rome. This is the road I selected :~)

8 minutes ago, bbosler said:

so now we are curious... how do you intend to wire all of this up?

It is going to take quite a bit of speaker cable and interconnects. Can't imagine using zip cord with speakers like that 😄 That's a LOT of Transparent cables

are you going to do a permanent install, run the wires inside the walls?

Wire..? That's old-school..surely they should be wireless, right..😇