IGNORED

Why you can't trust measurements

15 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

This is something that I personally feel is very important. For various reasons.

Firstly, I've noticed that some of the devices with stronger 'House Sounds' including DACs such as the Schiit Yggdrasil, show quite drastic changes in distortion level and profile in relation to amplitude.
image-6.png?resize=624%2C468&ssl=1

In addition to this, some devices have slightly different distortion at their very uppermost output levels than they do in the rest of the output range.
The Gustard X26 pro for example, which is an excellent DAC, does seem to be somewhat 'optimising' for full scale output to look better on ASR-style tests.

image-79.png?resize=624%2C468&ssl=1

You can see that distortion drops a few dB in the top ~6dB.
And in fact even when not limited by THD itself, you can visually see how the harmonics change.

At full scale 0dBfs output it looks like this:
image-94.png?resize=1024%2C773&ssl=1

All harmonics at or below about -140dB

But then take it to -3dBfs output and suddenly the 3rd order harmonic jumps up almost 15dB.
image-96.png?resize=1024%2C773&ssl=1

But ignoring DACs and just looking at amps, as has been mentioned, we don't listen to amps at 4v output. In fact on the vast majority of headphones that level would probably destroy your ears. So it's much more apt to test the device in the range that you're likely to use it.
Personally I offer measurements at 4v (to compare to ASR if people wish), 700mV (as this is a reasonably loud listening level on a few over ear headphones like an Arya) and 50mV (as this is appropriate for IEMs).

If you test something like an HE9 at 4V on 32 Ohm, you'll get about 0.3% THD+N (50dB SINAD). 
But if you test at a more realistic 700mV, you get a reduction to 0.02% THD+N (23dB increase to 73dB SINAD)

It seems silly to me to only test things at 4v as it's not realistic for amps in most cases.
But more to the point, on both DACs and Amps THD+N vs Level behaviour can reveal some pretty interesting stuff

I don't find reports on headamps at what will be ear-damaging levels for 99% of headphones to be very helpful, either. 

As far as DACs, I wonder if such issues at least partly account for differing subjective opinions. If one's listening to mostly clipped, "loudness wars"-era files, their impression of a DAC might be very different from someone listening to more dynamic, softer masterings, particularly if odd-order harmonics creep into audible territory at some levels but not others. IOTW, the original "Californication" CD isn't likely to sound the same as the original "Peter Gabriel IV" CD on DACs with distortion profiles that vary significantly by level. 

• 2 months later...

'To get an obvious question out of the way: Yes, I did listen to the Ayazi without the Master Time. By its lonesome, the Ayazi reproduced music with less resolution and timbral accuracy and created a spatially smaller, less lifelike sound. Music sounded duller and less compelling.' Alex Halberstadt

Overall, Ideon's Ayazi did well on the test bench. I didn't find any difference in its performance when fed USB data directly or via the 3R Master Time Black Star.—John Atkinson

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ideon-audio-ayazi-mk2-da-processor-3r-master-time-black-star-usb-clock

35 minutes ago, Confused said:

There are at least two possibilities here:

1. Mr Halberstadt was imagining the improvement from the Master Time, hence the measurements correctly show no improvement in performance.

2. The improvement in sound quality from the Master Time is real, but the correct measurements to show why this might be the case were not performed.

If I was the editor of a magazine that planned to publish this, I would set up a blind test with Mr Halberstadt (and any other golden eared hacks that I had available) to see if he can reliably pick up the resolution and timbral accuracy and the spatially smaller, less lifelike sound, without the Master Time.

If he could not, I'd get him to rewrite the article. If he could, I'd get Mr Atkinson to take another look at how to perform his measurements.

As things stand, the article does not tell us much, apart from demonstrating that the audio press can be a bit useless at times.

The fact is the reviewer heard a significant difference which was not measurable. What fact(s) lead you to believe either the reviewer was wrong or the measurements faulty?

26 minutes ago, Superdad said:

This. 9_9

Do you think that it is 100% impossible that the reviewer was not influenced by expectation bias?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

7 minutes ago, Iving said:

only an intervention study where sound environment manipulated to observe a corrrsponding subjective delta starts to establish causal relationship.

This ^ the starting point for development of theories about how sound accounts for subjective musical enjoyment.

and even if this high ambition approached experimentally, we have only measured pre-ear. What the brain does with sound deltas we can barely fathom.

there is no advanced explanation of human consciousness.

we have a long way to go and a lot of scope for disagreement before "truth" eventually revealed.

22 minutes ago, Iving said:

convincing data near impossible with single reviewer - 

and multi participant studies all sorts selection and expense problems.

Some very fine wise words in your earlier post Mr Iving. You kind of stated what I am thinking, although you have phrased it far better than I could.

Although re the quoted words above, I do not think we need expensive multi participant studies in this particular case. What we have is a reviewer who has clearly stated that he can hear very specific differences with the $4K Master Time in the chain. This would take only two people and a couple of hours to establish if he could do this "blind". If he could, this would be convincing data from one reviewer, and thus provide good reason to investigate further in the measurements.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

3 hours ago, Confused said:

Do you think that it is 100% impossible that the reviewer was not influenced by expectation bias?

I was not in the room where it happened so have no idea what was actually heard or imagined.

Then again, I don't see why IDEON charges $4,000 for what is essentially a copy of our original 2015 USB REGEN ($175) with exact same SMSC hub chip, some enhanced power networks, and some unknown clocking. (And that whole layout with the daughter board is terrible for USB signal integrity.) 9_9

image.thumb.jpeg.cdfbb08fcebf5d966ccdb2480c4a6aed.jpeg

6 hours ago, Iving said:

all the uncertainty makes a lot of room for individual hobby fun, forum conflicts - and industry confidence trickery.

antidote to all above is education of all types - and learning to think for ourselves

There's lots of uncertainty ... but very little trickery, in the normal sense. The whole thing falls in the same arena as the massive, personal cosmetics industry - do you want to send all the executives of these companies to prison, for defrauding the public?

It's interesting how so many people can't stand back from what results after making some changes to a system; there is almost a gritted determination to find some improvement - there must be, because I have put so much energy, or money into doing this; it better be better !!! x-D

I have had far too many disappointments over the years to see any use for this attitude - a rig is what it is: it may be incredibly expensive, with layers of bling to bedazzle, but if it sounds like a mess, well, it is a mess ...

6 hours ago, fas42 said:

The whole thing falls in the same arena as the massive, personal cosmetics industry

no it doesn't

6 hours ago, fas42 said:

very little trickery, in the normal sense

confidence trickery - believe what i say because of the way i say it - don't examine merits 

it's clear what i mean

6 hours ago, fas42 said:

do you want to send all the executives of these companies to prison

don't be silly

all goading and off topic

1 hour ago, Iving said:

confidence trickery - believe what i say because of the way i say it - don't examine merits 

it's clear what i mean

It is? From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confidence_trick,

A confidence trick is an attempt to defraud a person or group after first gaining their trust. Confidence tricks exploit victims using their credulity, naïveté, compassion, vanity, confidence, irresponsibility, and greed. Researchers have defined confidence tricks as "a distinctive species of fraudulent conduct [...] intending to further voluntary exchanges that are not mutually beneficial", as they "benefit con operators ('con men') at the expense of their victims (the 'marks')

So, say, every person who was purchased an expensive audio cable, which costs many, many times more then any person could conceive that it would cost to manufacture, has been defrauded ... correct?

55 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Yes, silly of me to be annoyed by the seemingly obligatory put down of people who produce tweaks - who are supposedly always doing for the money, as compared to having a belief in the value of their product.

“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. One may protest against evil; it can be exposed and, if need be, prevented by use of force. Evil always carries within itself the germ of its own subversion in that it leaves behind in human beings at least a sense of unease. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. In all this the stupid person, in contrast to the malicious one, is utterly self satisfied and, being easily irritated, becomes dangerous by going on the attack. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one. Never again will we try to persuade the stupid person with reasons, for it is senseless and dangerous.”

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/what-is-a-mob-mentality ...

Mob mentality, herd mentality, pack mentality, groupthink, or crowd psychology — the concept has many names. These all boil down to the same idea: Individuals are influenced by a larger group. Regardless of whether that group includes people in your class, your neighborhood, or an entire nation, you may experience mob mentality.

In the 1950s, researchers conducted a famous conformity experiment that showed how readily people conform or change their behavior to match social norms. It involved:

• A single participant was put in a room with seven undercover accomplices.
  • Asch presented the group with four lines, and the goal was to determine which two lines were the same length.
  • Even though the answer was obvious, the undercover accomplices purposefully gave an incorrect answer.
  • The real participant answered last.
  • The intent of the experiment was to see if the real participant would give a false answer — conforming with the accomplices — even if the correct answer was clear.

‌The results were surprising. About one-third of the real participants answered incorrectly. They conformed to the wrong answer given by the rest of the group

Why did they do it? When the participants heard the incorrect answer, some started to believe the incorrect answer was actually correct. The participants conformed mainly because they wanted to fit in with the rest of the group and thought the rest of the group was more informed than they were.

Maybe it is more along the lines of this paper. It applies to many thinks taken to religious extremes....

nihms868078.pdf

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects