IGNORED

Why you can't trust measurements

18 hours ago, firedog said:

The recent extremely positive reviews of the Topping DAC (Absolute Sound, subjective only) and and Pre (Stereophile, subjective plus measurements) in which there was agreement that the two under $1000 pieces were as good SQ wise (and for the pre, measurement wise) as pretty much anything on the market in their segment is telling: Even the mainstream publications are feeling the pressure from the market to review such relatively inexpensive devices that measure as state of the art. Once upon a time, neither of those publications would review such products, as they don't have dealer networks and are only available online.

I found the Topping DAC review deeply disappointing, even disturbing, from a publication I have often relied upon.  They did indeed assert the SQ was "reference level".  But then the only comparison offered was to a $600 DAC, and then concluded that you might go either way.  So these are two world-beaters at less than $1000?  It also bothered me that they repeated the no euphonics chant numerous times, almost as if to hedge their assertion--I am not aware of any euphoric reference level DACs.  This was very different than a few years ago when a number of publications asserted the Yggy was better than anything up to $X in price or something like that--it was much less credible.

Similarly, the Absolute Sound rave review of the B&W 805 D4 seemed to evade the near universal question around the 800 series--too much treble?

I'm not big on measurements in general, but they sure would have helped ground both of these discussions

1 hour ago, PeterG said:

I found the Topping DAC review deeply disappointing, even disturbing, from a publication I have often relied upon.  They did indeed assert the SQ was "reference level".  But then the only comparison offered was to a $600 DAC, and then concluded that you might go either way.  So these are two world-beaters at less than $1000?  It also bothered me that they repeated the no euphonics chant numerous times, almost as if to hedge their assertion--I am not aware of any euphoric reference level DACs.  This was very different than a few years ago when a number of publications asserted the Yggy was better than anything up to $X in price or something like that--it was much less credible.

Similarly, the Absolute Sound rave review of the B&W 805 D4 seemed to evade the near universal question around the 800 series--too much treble?

I'm not big on measurements in general, but they sure would have helped ground both of these discussions

I think that yes, Steven Stone was basically saying the sound was reference level. The impressive thing to me was that he did blind testing of the two DACs, and he also used his own master recordings of acoustic music, which he obviously knows very well. He said they sounded exactly as they should. I think that's a pretty impressive recommendation. I haven't heard the Topping DAC, but if I was in the market to spend that kind of money and couldn't audition, that to me would be a serious recommendation.

The pre and DAC have measurements elsewhere (ASR, Stereophile, and a couple of other places).

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

11 hours ago, Archimago said:

Again, what does this mean "sonic differences that cannot be measured"? Since we're talking about a DAC, other than reproducing the intended digital data as analogue electrical waveforms, what does he think is still out there to be "discovered"?

11 hours ago, Archimago said:

Jitter has been discussed since the first decade of the release of CDs! Even if it was "ignored", that was just for a few years while there were other more pressing issues to deal with (like achieving a full 16-bit resolution)... "So, Ed, can you give me an example of what newly discovered measurement was found in the last decade?"

Re "sonic differences that cannot be measured", I believe that he means that listening to its sound may result in specific changes to a circuit's design that are not suggested directly by the DAC's measurements themselves.

Discover has more than one meaning. It can mean gain knowledge of, as in learning the significance of something that was previously ignored or unappreciated, e.g. jitter.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

19 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Wow, talk about missing his point and redirecting!

But perhaps you are a person who weighs your food and measures its salt content to decide how it will taste. Of course the chefs don’t do that…

My suggestion would be to ask more questions, not less. Certainly some manufacturers would rather not have their customers ask too many questions. Saying things like believe me we know what we’re doing, we’ll measure it soon, we have many happy customers, so it must be good, etc.

Of course, chefs create art, but audio systems don’t. They reproduce art. Asking a question about how good is your reproduction equipment is not just a reasonable question, it is a must-ask for any educated consumer.

16 hours ago, firedog said:

I think that yes, Steven Stone was basically saying the sound was reference level. The impressive thing to me was that he did blind testing of the two DACs, and he also used his own master recordings of acoustic music, which he obviously knows very well. He said they sounded exactly as they should. I think that's a pretty impressive recommendation. I haven't heard the Topping DAC, but if I was in the market to spend that kind of money and couldn't audition, that to me would be a serious recommendation.

The pre and DAC have measurements elsewhere (ASR, Stereophile, and a couple of other places).

I disagree--Stone provided virtually no substantiation for his assertion that the Topping is reference level.  As you note, there were no measurements. (I'm OK with that)  Worse, there were no meaningful comparisons--a $600 Gustard?  Please, be serious.  Who's even heard of Gustard?  Also--"sounded exactly as they should"--what does that even mean?  Compared to what?

Compare this with Chris's  much more meaningful substantiation of his assertion that the Yggy is top shelf, from the AS (CA) 2015 review--" It's one of my favorite DACs available today. In fact, I will happily mention the Yggdrasil in the same sentence as some of my other favorites, the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC RS ($16,000) and the EMM Labs DAC2X ($15,500)"

When I read that the Topping compares favorably to the Yggy, Berkeley, EMM, Lampizator, Bartok..., then I'll be impressed

21 hours ago, Archimago said:

Again, what does this mean "sonic differences that cannot be measured"? Since we're talking about a DAC, other than reproducing the intended digital data as analogue electrical waveforms, what does he think is still out there to be "discovered"?

What needs to be "discovered" is that digital replay requires exceptional "hygiene", compared to the typical analogue based setup, for the subjective SQ to switch into, 'magic' mode - every system I've played with over the decades has needed love and attention to detail to get this; the need for this doesn't go away just by throwing enough expensive, street cred gear at the situation. The industry still hasn't properly woken up to the requirement that the "minor things" like noise isolation, and reduction of spurious causes of interference have to be taken really seriously - until this happens it's always going to be a lottery as to whether a particular rig just goes through the motions of playing some recording, as compared with conjuring up an enthralling, immersive listening experience ...

1 hour ago, PeterG said:

When I read that the Topping compares favorably to the Yggy, Berkeley, EMM, Lampizator, Bartok..., then I'll be impressed

I severely doubt you'll ever read such a thing in an advertiser-funded magazine. Which is of course the 800lb gorilla in the room.

59 minutes ago, opus101 said:

I severely doubt you'll ever read such a thing in an advertiser-funded magazine. Which is of course the 800lb gorilla in the room.

It's your lucky day! 

Here's Absolute Sound with a similar Yggy review to CA--"I can’t tell you how Moffatt did it, but I can describe how the Yggy sounds, and why its one of the three best DACs I’ve heard regardless of price. (The other two are the $19,500 Berkeley Alpha Reference and the $35,000 dCS Vivaldi. I suspect that the MSB Select is outstanding, after hearing it many times at shows, but I haven’t evaluated it in my own system.)"

'One of the best 3' is suitably vague - I'd interpret that to mean 'its number 3, after those two'. But doesn't say how close it gets to them. If the reviewer mentioned which other DACs he'd heard above Yggy's price point that would set some valuable context.

7 hours ago, PeterG said:

Stone provided virtually no substantiation for his assertion that the Topping is reference level.  As you note, there were no measurements. (I'm OK with that)  Worse, there were no meaningful comparisons--a $600 Gustard?  Please, be serious.  Who's even heard of Gustard?  Also--"sounded exactly as they should"--what does that even mean?  Compared to what?

You are arguing with yourself. Of course he didn't - it's a subjective review, just like 99% of audio reviews. Gustard is a pretty well known brand, with some highly regarded PRO and consumer devices. That YOU haven't heard of them doesn't mean much. It's common to compare similar items in a hi-fi review. That's what Stone did. 

Meaningful comparisons? What do think is meaningful? He compared it to another under $1000 DAC under blind conditions - rarely done in the audiophile reviewing world.

He played back his own master recordings. "Sounded exactly as they should" - the meaning is totally clear, except if you are making a special effort not to understand the sentence. If you make your own recording, you know exactly how it "should" sound. And he said the DAC did exactly that level of reproduction. Maybe he should have phrased it differently so it would be phrased the way you'd like it to be.

In the end, it's a subjective review. If you think it's worthless, don't read it. IMO it was more substantial and more seriously done than virtually all other subjective reviews of audio equipment we commonly see. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

On 5/5/2022 at 6:38 PM, JoshM said:

I agree. I think it would be perfectly fine and ethical to say, “I’m not mentioning warranties, or reliability, or conducting teardowns. Just the same suite of measurements. Caveat emptor.” But I don’t think it’s ethical to conduct teardowns and speculate about reliability for some reviews, but not others. 

Apropos of the previous discussion about reliability, I happened upon this exchange while perusing a review over at ASR. This poster’s experience is very similar to (though worse than) mine.

FB3E2AFA-6051-44F5-BEDF-A9112238E530.jpeg

Here’s Amir’s response:

C9EE93ED-5D58-406E-BC33-9843E95F27C1.jpeg

Also, relevant to @GoldenOne’s video, it thought Bob’s illustration of how amplifier distortion interacts with level was fascinating:

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/tutorial-amplifier-distortion-vs-amplitude-a-visual-guide.12279/

It’s worth pondering what level is most realistic for one’s use of a product, and it might not be the level at which most measurements are performed. 

13 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

To me, this reads like, "it would be tragic if newcomers to audiophilia were able to achieve the same level of gratification as those spending orders of magnitude more money".

Again with fallacy. Didn't I make myself clear enough that there was attempts to change design philosophy to get better measurements on "one aspect" and explain how good sound was from improvements in "all aspects".

And not to mention how newcomers having zero experience will have expectation bias on products with better measurements from one thing leading to better sound quality than another product that lose one measurements but win others that were not measured.

If you want to make a valid counter argument, we should talk about how we can make sure we have proper measurements with same standards and how we can avoid using selected samples as references. Quoting one thing you think you can make come back and ignore the main points I raised was not what objectivist should do.

Regards,

Keetakawee

Happy Emm Labs/Viola/Karan/Rockport audiophile

Fidelizer - Feel the real sound http://www.fidelizer-audio.com

3 hours ago, JoshM said:

I think this is all correct. What I find puzzling (even concerning) is that many of these folks seem to be constantly “upgrading” their DACs to more expensive models, despite already owning “perfect” measuring DACs. In that sense, I don’t quite get the brand of objectivism at play. Indeed, it looks a lot like the old subjectivist FOMO/FOTM pattern, and certain ASR-favored brands seem to be fueling this by constantly introducing new models.  

The early Topping DACs reviewed by ASR were generally $100 to $200 and measured “perfectly,” but perhaps lacked reliability and customer service. Now, however, many of those models are out of production, and there are new Topping DACs in the $500 to $900 range. 

But what’s the point, from a measurements-first perspective? Something like the Modi 3 is $125, has “perfect” measurements, and has good reliability and customer support. I can’t see someone who’s a hard-core measurements-only objectivist doing anything other than buying a Modi 3 and being done with DACs forever. 

At ASR they have difficulty when you ask them why the measurements matter when they are beyond what is considered "audibility". Does my Chinese DAC with Sinad of 113 or 114 sound as good as their "state of the art" DACs with SINAD of 121? And does it sound better than a DAC with SINAD of 109?

Some of them will say all DACs with measurements past a certain threshold sound the same. But others will buy the best measuring DAC they can afford, even if it is well above that threshold. It's either: a version of FOMO; a kind of obsession with the numbers; or (and some of them acknowledge this) buying something that they consider to have the best engineering, as shown by the best measurements. 

On 5/21/2022 at 5:49 PM, Allan F said:

Re "sonic differences that cannot be measured", I believe that he means that listening to its sound may result in specific changes to a circuit's design that are not suggested directly by the DAC's measurements themselves.

I admit the possibility that this exists. What would be interesting to hear from manufacturers that measure, then listen, and then "adjust by ear" - what they think is happening when they reconfigure a device, the measurements stay the same, yet they think it sounds different?  And I'd be interested to know if they blind test their two versions of the component, or is it possibly self induced confirmation bias?

Bruno Putzeys has said (at least as far as amps) that very extensive measurements ( I believe he referred to about 20 different ones he conducts, some of which put the amp in extreme situations) of the right type WILL predict amp performance and sound. Sort of not just what you measure, but how you measure it. He said when he gets those right, he knows the amp will sound good and the way he intended. He also said he can color any amp to sound as he wishes. As an  example, he said he could give the MacIntosh sound to Class D - if he wanted to.

My takeaway from this is that perhaps Amir and some others aren't doing all the right measurements, not that the right ones don't exist yet. If I was Bruno, and I'd figured this out, I certainly wouldn't make it public knowledge, it has great proprietary value. 

4 hours ago, JoshM said:

Apropos of the previous discussion about reliability, I happened upon this exchange while perusing a review over at ASR. This poster’s experience is very similar to (though worse than) mine.

FB3E2AFA-6051-44F5-BEDF-A9112238E530.jpeg

Here’s Amir’s response:

C9EE93ED-5D58-406E-BC33-9843E95F27C1.jpeg

He really posted that? Wasn't the point in his website is about recommending budget products with good measurements to his readers? If products have a lot of reports about defects, he should put his priority on readers' interests first. This made me wonder if it's either his pride / ego of being right or he has some companies invested on his website and need to keep that up.

Happy Emm Labs/Viola/Karan/Rockport audiophile

Fidelizer - Feel the real sound http://www.fidelizer-audio.com

1 minute ago, Windows X said:

He really posted that? Wasn't the point in his website is about recommending budget products with good measurements to his readers? If products have a lot of reports about defects, he should put his priority on readers' interests first. This made me wonder if it's either his pride / ego of being right or he has some companies invested on his website and need to keep that up.

Can't say it really bothers me. Don't disagree with Amir. If I order a Chinese DAC from AliExpress, I'm taking into account that I am unlikely to get warranty service for it in a reasonable or cost effective manner. I'd assume that people buying these devices are taking that into account. But if I buy a Topping DAC that's supposed to be "state of the art" and "reference quality" for $700, then I'm figuring that if  it's defective, I can get another and I still won't have spent as much as I would have on a much more expensive 
DAC from a "conventional" supplier. Same for if I don't agree after purchase that it is truly state of the art. I took a relatively small monetary risk that's supposed to give me a non-proportional sonic payoff. If I don't really get that, I haven't lost a significant amount relative to buying something much higher priced with warranty and service. 

If you aren't willing to take those risks, you shouldn't be buying such products.

And when Stereophile and TAS recommend those same products, I don't think they are standing behind them any more than Amir is. 

On 5/23/2022 at 11:37 PM, JoshM said:

I think this is all correct. What I find puzzling (even concerning) is that many of these folks seem to be constantly “upgrading” their DACs to more expensive models, despite already owning “perfect” measuring DACs. In that sense, I don’t quite get the brand of objectivism at play. Indeed, it looks a lot like the old subjectivist FOMO/FOTM pattern, and certain ASR-favored brands seem to be fueling this by constantly introducing new models.  

The early Topping DACs reviewed by ASR were generally $100 to $200 and measured “perfectly,” but perhaps lacked reliability and customer service. Now, however, many of those models are out of production, and there are new Topping DACs in the $500 to $900 range. 

But what’s the point, from a measurements-first perspective? Something like the Modi 3 is $125, has “perfect” measurements, and has good reliability and customer support. I can’t see someone who’s a hard-core measurements-only objectivist doing anything other than buying a Modi 3 and being done with DACs forever. 

I don't have any Topping DACs, but I do have their PA5 amp. I rarely upgrade, precisely because I've achieved the sound quality I love and enjoy. When I do upgrade, I buy DACs with good measurements, but more importantly, with the features I want. Mostly professional interfaces, no audiophile DACs in 5+ years. Last audiophile DAC was Holo Spring, and that one was to satisfy my curiosity about modern R2R DACs -- something I liked and thought of very highly 25 years ago (I still have a few of the old ones for comparison). And of course, Holo Spring is also a well-measuring device.

PA5 is an example of a risk of buying equipment from a small Chinese manufacturer. Mine is working great, but I bought it from the first batch, which appears to be doing well for me and for others. Newer batches of PA5 seem to exhibit a high failure rate, which Topping has not addressed so far. The amp is excellent, but the high failures and no response from manufacturer is disturbing. I'd be cautious about purchasing any new and untested products from them in the future, especially those shipped directly from China. These become more expensive to replace or fix, even under warranty.

On 5/23/2022 at 11:50 PM, JoshM said:

Also, relevant to @GoldenOne’s video, it thought Bob’s illustration of how amplifier distortion interacts with level was fascinating:

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/tutorial-amplifier-distortion-vs-amplitude-a-visual-guide.12279/

It’s worth pondering what level is most realistic for one’s use of a product, and it might not be the level at which most measurements are performed. 

That's why a sweep of THD+N over level is useful. Even for DACs, but even more importantly, for amps. A 4v or 2v DAC output is useful for standard comparisons, and when the system includes a preamp. If the DAC feeds directly into the amp, these levels are unlikely to match actual levels in use.

4 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

This is something that I personally feel is very important. For various reasons.

Firstly, I've noticed that some of the devices with stronger 'House Sounds' including DACs such as the Schiit Yggdrasil, show quite drastic changes in distortion level and profile in relation to amplitude.
image-6.png?resize=624%2C468&ssl=1

In addition to this, some devices have slightly different distortion at their very uppermost output levels than they do in the rest of the output range.
The Gustard X26 pro for example, which is an excellent DAC, does seem to be somewhat 'optimising' for full scale output to look better on ASR-style tests.

image-79.png?resize=624%2C468&ssl=1

You can see that distortion drops a few dB in the top ~6dB.
And in fact even when not limited by THD itself, you can visually see how the harmonics change.

At full scale 0dBfs output it looks like this:
image-94.png?resize=1024%2C773&ssl=1

All harmonics at or below about -140dB

But then take it to -3dBfs output and suddenly the 3rd order harmonic jumps up almost 15dB.
image-96.png?resize=1024%2C773&ssl=1

But ignoring DACs and just looking at amps, as has been mentioned, we don't listen to amps at 4v output. In fact on the vast majority of headphones that level would probably destroy your ears. So it's much more apt to test the device in the range that you're likely to use it.
Personally I offer measurements at 4v (to compare to ASR if people wish), 700mV (as this is a reasonably loud listening level on a few over ear headphones like an Arya) and 50mV (as this is appropriate for IEMs).

If you test something like an HE9 at 4V on 32 Ohm, you'll get about 0.3% THD+N (50dB SINAD). 
But if you test at a more realistic 700mV, you get a reduction to 0.02% THD+N (23dB increase to 73dB SINAD)

It seems silly to me to only test things at 4v as it's not realistic for amps in most cases.
But more to the point, on both DACs and Amps THD+N vs Level behaviour can reveal some pretty interesting stuff

Of course, the third harmonic jumping up 15dB still remains well below any levels of audibility and better than probably 99% of DACs out there, so not a major concern. Interesting nevertheless.

4v or 2v output measurement is completely realistic if one is planning to use a preamp or an integrated amp. You're right that it's not a level anyone would normally use when feeding the amp directly. That's one reason why a sweep of THD+N vs. level is important.