IGNORED

Why you can't trust measurements

14 hours ago, Iving said:

But you weren't there. Chris was. But you weren't. And YT is no substitute.

Talking of Nagra at Munich, 2022 ...

Luckily, Chris bypassed that 'orrible YT "crap",

Here is an iPhone video clip of My Romance from Gene Ammons. The track sounded stunning, even though I was far from the sweet spot for this one. I could've listened to this entire album without moving. The sound was realistic, enveloping, and captivating.

:D

You see, you listen for what the playback is getting wrong ... not what it's getting right - if there are no audible flaws, then you are in pretty good territory ...

17 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Which brings us back to, "why you can't trust measurements" ... what use is acquiring a set of numbers, if it's almost of no value in deciding whether a particular component will be acceptable or not, in the flesh?

Yes, using an objective tool for a subjective criteria like acceptability makes little sense... 

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I've experienced the bizarre world of audiophile double think for too long, with regard to what they focus on when they listen, to be fussed about where they want to draw the line on the concept of "being objective" - if you're happy with your take on the matter, then all's good with the world ... ^_^.

19 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I've experienced the bizarre world of audiophile double think for too long, with regard to what they focus on when they listen, to be fussed about where they want to draw the line on the concept of "being objective" - if you're happy with your take on the matter, then all's good with the world ... ^_^.

Posts like this beg the question why you spend so much time and energy posting to a forum full of folks you consider to be bizarre... and vice versa...

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

22 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Posts like this beg the question why you spend so much time and energy posting to a forum full of folks you consider to be bizarre... and vice versa...

Logic 101 ... I've met some audiophiles who had bizarre thinking; therefore, all audiophiles have bizarre thinking ... :)

Luckily, in the presence of exceptional SQ there seems to be general agreement that it's at least acceptable - the frothing at the mouth normally occurs with discussions of how to get this.

38 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Logic 101 ... I've met some audiophiles who had bizarre thinking; therefore, all audiophiles have bizarre thinking ... :)

Luckily, in the presence of exceptional SQ there seems to be general agreement that it's at least acceptable - the frothing at the mouth normally occurs with discussions of how to get this.

🤦‍♂️ pot to kettle here 🤦

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Can we measure Frank?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

20 minutes ago, Jeff_N said:

Please no.

Me thinks imaginary numbers would be involved.....

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

6 minutes ago, Allan F said:

If so, presumably only to "a matter of degree".

Like this?

41gaorNcI7L._SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

5 hours ago, botrytis said:

Me thinks imaginary numbers would be involved.....

fas = square root 2?

9 hours ago, fas42 said:

Do you want to measure the interesting bits - or the boring stuff?

Both, we need an interesting bits to boring stuff ratio. (IB/BSr)

On 4/21/2022 at 1:07 AM, GoldenOne said:

I figured this may be something worth starting a dedicated thread for.
There are all sorts of reasons as to why measurements may be unreliable, misleading, confusing, or just inconsistent. And I've made a video discussing some of these topics.

Interesting watch, thanks. On a related note, I think it would be fun to measure "cherry picked" review units from certain manufacturers, to confirm or debunk that myth.