IGNORED

NVMe SSD designed for audiophiles

• 1 month later...

Why would anybody think reading from any type of disk (hdd, ssd, nvme, m.2) would make any difference to the sq? Since you read data into memory from a storage device before it exits the computer, any benefits of the storage device would end when the data gets written to memory. 

IMO, ssd/nvme/m.2 storage technology benefits are the speed increases of data access over hdd. IMO, ssd/nvme/m.2 storage is I’ll used as a caching device because the cheap consumer ssd/nvme/m.2 devices aren’t built with the appropriate overprovisioning that is needed to handle a lot of caching. In the enterprise arena, I would ask a client if they were going to use these types of devices for caching, then they would get the appropriate device with the correct endurance to handle the DWPD/TBW so the device will last 3-5 years

Before the NVME standard appeared, in the early days of JPLAY, I built a custom audio PC for my friend and we found audio improvements by isolating the power line to the SATA SSD drives. We fed the drives via battery power supply instead. Also saw the same improvements powering the JCAT USB output card with its own battery supply.

Given that experience I have no doubt a custom NVME drive that attempts to reduce noise may have some positive effect.

indeed, and there is clear effect even when you power this drive from the motherboard, and that is even more clear using a good external LPS.

There also is no clear reason why listening to the same file coming from RAM, loaded from SSD or NVME SSD or a USB stick should sound different...yet it does.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

What we can hear doesn't even come close to what can be measured nowadays, in terms of signal AND noise. Human senses are nothing to write home about. If you can hear that some sounds are noisy or distorted, it WILL show up on even an entry level spectrum analyzer.

And you can trust me on that : measuring small signals which are unaccessible to our senses is a huge part of my job as a researcher. From measurements down to ADC conversion.

3 minutes ago, Ghmi said:

What we can hear doesn't even come close to what can be measured nowadays, in terms of signal AND noise. Human senses are nothing to write home about. If you can hear that some sounds are noisy or distorted, it WILL show up on even an entry level spectrum analyzer.

And you can trust me on that : measuring small signals which are unaccessible to our senses is a huge part of my job as a researcher. From measurements down to ADC conversion.

I totally believe you can measure small signals, trust me, in the objectivist thread they'll agree, I however disagree that you can define what we can hear with your measurements and you seem to limit what we can hear to what you can measure...

not only that; this discussion adds nothing to the topic as I reckon you did not measure anything of the sound produced from the disk at hand and you seem to ignore the more important bit about the TYPE of memory cell that is important.

please feel free to start a topic here;

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/forum/13-music-analysis-objective-subjective/

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

The disk does not produce any music. The DAC does. Up to this point, there's no concept of music or sound : it's all binary data and none of it will change with filtering, not a single bit.

What can happen though is either EMI or digital noise creeping through the supply during read operations. In this case, the SSD is the least of your worries: your CPU, GPU and RAM are basically noise-production machines compared to a standard SSD. Particularly the CPU and GPU, which will generate regular voltage drops on power rails which carry several amps , which you cannot filter out. Filtering on the digital side is like trying to empty an ocean with a scoop. Focusing on the digital side makes no sense at all : it's all noise anyway, whatever you do.

That's actually not unusual for digital noise to creep into small amplified signals, most PCs show signs of that. But the way we deal with that in engineering is by isolating the (external) DAC and amplifiers. That's the real solution: put all your analog circuit in a faraday cage and on a separate stable and filtered power supply (preferably a dedicated battery). Instead of trying to filter out a random potential source of noise within an ocean of noise, isolate the analog circuit from it all. It may not be as cheap as the audiophile SSD, but it makes a world of difference, not just a subjective difference only few will feel. If done properly, you can even get the same delivery as a fully analog system, providing you use high resolution audio files and DACs.

I worked for 1 of the largest hdd and solid state storage manufacturers in the world and I worked in the solid state technology side of things. At an audio show many years ago, I had an audio manufacturer tell a group of people that he can hear the difference in sq between hard disk drives and he only uses a specific drive in his equipment. I looked at the drive and told him that drive is actually made by us and rebranded. So in reality, if he heard a difference between the original manufacturers drive and the rebranded drive, he was full of *&^%, they were the same drive with 2 different vendor names.

You can actually test the effect a drive has on audio data itself : write an audio file on it, read it back, and compare the binary sequences. If there's even a 1 bit difference, that's not normal : any properly working HDD will give you exactly what you write on it.

Any difference in sound comes from the analog part of the circuit. Not the digital part. The analog circuit, DACs, amplifiers, cables, speakers are sensitive to noise and distortions. Not the HDD, RAM and CPU.

I have two hints...read up on the topic, and counting bits is not the answer.

As much as using a different network card, network switch, putting a LPSU on computer, SSD, switch, router matters for sound it's NOT changing one bit...and that point we all agree

Rather than excluding the possibility that HDD RAM and CPU matter I'd suggest start reading here (beware, it's long but packed with information)

Just because somebody says doing X will boost your sq, doesn’t mean it’s true. You have to judge the change yourself. I did a test between 2 servers a few years ago: mac vs. enterprise server costing high 6 digits with 256G ram, ecc memory, many Intel procs, over a dozen enterprise ssd/nvme/m.2/pcie sss, using Ubuntu with Roon, the sq wasn’t any different. The enterprise server sounds like an airplane taking off because of all the fans going full throttle, but since both servers were located in a different part of the house, you couldn’t hear any of the noise. Plus, all of the noise coming from the enterprise server didn’t have any impact on the sound coming out of the Ethernet port going to my dac.

After reading part of this building a diy server, I stopped when I saw 1 statement: using usb! Here is someone spending time and some decent money on a server trying to eke out the most sq from a custom server, and he is using the worst interface to a dac: usb. How many tweaks is this guy going to apply to usb to try to get better performance out of usb? Most of the audiophile community use usb because their cheaper dacs is all they have. So they buy a usb dac then spend hundreds or more $$$ on reclockers, ifi cables, separate boxes, whatever they can get to improve the sound. I was there many years ago and sold all that crap. Now, some of the better dacs aren’t even including usb and if you’ve seen many reviews of dacs over the last few years, the reviewers have preferred the sq using the non-usb inputs.

So if I see someone with ideas on how to improve sq of a music system but they also use usb, I stop reading at that point.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, darkfrank said:

I stopped reading when someone said he couldn't distinguish any SQ difference between a Mac and an enterprise server, lol.

some folks would not hear any difference between a live violin and one reproduced off a recording...

• 2 months later...