IGNORED

Purifi Class D

I built a pair of monoblocks with a (way overkill) linear power supplies incorporating a custom Toroidy 1500VA transformer, 134K uF caps for the high voltage rails, 54KuF for the low voltage rails. This is for each monoblock. I have experimented with a couple of different input buffers. I currently have the VTV tube input buffer installed which uses a single 6DJ8 and a pair of Weiss discrete op amps. 

The amp sounds very nice, but doesn't quite match either my Pass XA60.8s or my DIY PSET 300B monoblocks which use the Western Electric reissue 300B tubes. I've had the 300B amp in my system most of the time over the past year - definitely my favorite.

I have another Purifi stereo amp built with an SMPS and Neurochrome buffers. The monoblocks have a deeper sound stage, more natural decay, and a bit more meat on the bones in the upper bass (most obvious with male vocals, saxophone, etc.). 

top 1200.jpg

SGC i9, Sonore Signature Rendu SE, Denafrips Gaia, Denafrips Terminator Plus, DIY Preamp, DIY 300B SET monoblocks, DIY GR-Research Line Force speakers with Triple-Threat subs, PS-Audio P12, Iconoclast XLR, Kimber KS-3035.

NAD's C298 is based upon the Purifi module.  $2,399 online.  According to NAD:  "Our line inputs, both Balanced and Single-ended, can accommodate all kinds of analog source components by offering ideal input impedance characteristics with linear ultra-low-noise buffer amplifiers to prevent any sonic degradation caused by inappropriate loading of the source device. "

They also have the higher priced "Masters" amplifier.  Both amps have a bridged option so that the two stereo amplifiers can be used as mono amps.

NAD is clearly a fan of Bruno's designs.  Earlier Masters amps used the Hypex module (which I happily used for years) and at least one of their current DAC+Amp designs uses the Philips UcD module, which I believe Bruno designed when he worked there.    

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

5 hours ago, Jud said:

Grateful thanks for this.  During the interview, as noted previously in the thread, Bruno says the TI OPA 1656 op amp will sound better than the TI OPA 1612 op amp he includes with his eval board (and that ships with various Purifi-based amps, including my Apollon).  Barrows tried the OPA 1656 and told me he liked it, so I got hold of a couple (at least for the Apollon, you want the DIP8 modules - readily available on eBay in the US for less than $20 the pair; don't know about availability in other countries).  Surprise, I think Bruno was right; I feel that I like the sound better.  Subjective impression (so to be taken with a grain of salt) is richer, more reverberant, more musical, sweeter, without being overly warm or less accurate.

I doubt that "a grain of salt" need be taken  Glad to hear that you prefer the OPA 1656 op amps and the reasons why. OTOH, I'm not sure what to make of your comment that their sound is not "overly warm". I can't recall anyone ever describing Purifi based Class D amps as being "warm" in nature. On the contrary, while they are generally praised for their extreme clarity and transparency, they have been criticized as lacking in warmth compared to solid state Class A or Class AB amplifiers.  

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

15 minutes ago, Allan F said:

OTOH, I'm not sure what to make of your comment that their sound is not "overly warm". I can't recall anyone ever describing Purifi based Class D amps as being "warm" in nature. On the contrary, while they are generally praised for their extreme clarity and transparency, they have been criticized as lacking in warmth compared to Class A or Class AB amplifiers.  

This should be read in the context of my remarks that the sound seemed to me richer, more musical, more reverberant, sweeter. I was saying it did not seem to me to cross the line into excessive warmth at the cost of accuracy (again, subjective impression). Vocals and instruments seem to me quite “present” and realistic, to have an “in the room with you” quality.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Who is producing high powered/high current Purifi amps?  

Have read that they require separate power supplies to deliver specified output/current.  

Also read that Hypex has/will introduce an updated high power/current amp board that may outperform the Purifi version.  Anyone heard or seen one of these units?

Tone with Soul

2 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Appollon, VTV, and Nord do.  I suspect there are, or will be, others soon.  And yes, to achieve full output power a single Hypex SMPS1200 is inadequate, one would use two such power supplies, or equivalent alternatives.

Hypex already produces the higher power Ncore amplifier, are you suggesting they have newer model with an improved design?  Do you have any details?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

2 hours ago, 57gold said:

In addition to the manufacturers mentioned by @barrows the following are also offering Class D amps based on the Purifi 1ET7040SA module:

boXem Audio of Europe: Arthur 4222/E1 mono amplifier - currently available on their website.

Rouge Audio of Italy: Studio N8 stereo amplifier - currently shown as "Out of Stock" on their website.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Yeah, really cool to see that Hypex has developed the new Nilai amp for DIY, with a matching improved SMPS to replace the NC400 and SMPS 600.  Also really cool that they incorporated discrete circuitry for the input buffer and onboard regulators, which is a similar approach to what the NC-400 used.  Keeping a single board design with the dedicated onboard input stage is really cool as well.  I suspect they will be able to sell a whole lot of these.  I am looking forward to hearing them!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

7 hours ago, 57gold said:

We have taken our existing control-loop topology to a whole new level resulting in an immense performance upgrade compared to NCORE®. The overall performance has increased by not less than 10 times!

7 hours ago, 57gold said:

Hypex Electronics announced a new and improved iteration of its popular NCORE Class-D amplifier technology and unveiled the NCx500 OEM, the first of a new NCOREx family of modules to be launched. According to the Dutch company, the new technology will afford at least 2x better performance compared to original NCORE

A rather significant difference in the description of the performance improvement of the NCOREx compared to the original NCORE. And I very sincerely doubt that the difference can be attributed to semantics, i.e. that, technically, one could argue that an increase of not less than 10 times is at least 2x better. 🙂

Who knows what all the promotional language (what my real estate financier friend calls NYC developer speak, versus lies and misleading statements) means.  Not sure which prior amps and power supplies are being compared to the new units.

Was trying to find third party data on these new products, and this is what's out there, so far.   There is some chatter that the Hypex NCOREx "leapfrogs" (whatever that means) the new high powered Purifi amps...

Watching these developments for a high current version as my DNA-500 is nearing 20 years in service and I need that kind of power to light up my beloved Aerial 10Ts, which still sound pretty fine. 

Tone with Soul

3 hours ago, Allan F said:

A rather significant difference in the description of the performance improvement of the NCOREx compared to the original NCORE. And I very sincerely doubt that the difference can be attributed to semantics, i.e. that, technically, one could argue that an increase of not less than 10 times is at least 2x better. 🙂

it may also be that in one case they measured the power of the residual noise (which is measured in V but assume constant I…) and the corresponding subjective intensity change. Then 10=2.

Roberto 

3 hours ago, 57gold said:

Be interested in your listening tests.  

Though, DYI is NCD (no can do) for me.  I burn myself every time I try to use a soldering iron.

Well, these amps sound incredibly neutral and especially the Purifi ones have very smooth treble, with an absence of grain that I heard before only with small power DHTs.

They are also the most silent and clean amps I have ever heard, even with very sensitive speakers. Details and dynamics are just right.

They are also brutal - no defect in a recording will be masked, which I consider a good thing. 

1 hour ago, mocenigo said:

They are also brutal - no defect in a recording will be masked, which I consider a good thing. 

They also reveal whatever feeds them.  Reducing the noise in the components that are upstream is worthwhile, as is reducing the noise from the electrical system.   

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1 hour ago, Miska said:

I believe latest NAD M-series?

I am pretty sure that the NAD M-series is based on the original Purifi 1ET400A module, not the newer high current 1ET7040SA that is the subject of this discussion.

24 minutes ago, Allan F said:

I am pretty sure that the NAD M-series is based on the original Purifi 1ET400A module, not the newer high current 1ET7040SA that is the subject of this discussion.

It appears to be some variation of the 1ET400A -- from the NAD website (bolding added):  "NAD’s renowned designers worked closely with Purifi Audio to customise the Eigentakt implementation to ensure every product featuring the technology would meet the high standards NAD is known for. For this reason, NAD manufactures its own Eigentakt modules rather than buy off-the-shelf."

15 hours ago, PYP said:

They also reveal whatever feeds them.  Reducing the noise in the components that are upstream is worthwhile, as is reducing the noise from the electrical system.   

My approach is mixed objectivist/subjectivist in the following sense: the sound is fundamentally characterised by the speakers and the listening environment – and these two are so fundamentally imperfect, that, within the best we can afford to purchase or build ourselves, we have to pick by necessity what we like most.  But electronics are a solved problem, so by picking them intentionally components that reproduce the signal as perfectly as today's technology can do (which is achievable at modest expenses, and after that there are differences that are either deviations from fidelity or indistinguishable – of course provided that the measurement set is complete as of today's tech, not according to the marketing of the 80s) I remove them from the equation, provided of course that electric matching is appropriate. At this point, to finish setting up the system I only have to play with the speakers and the room.

(As for the electronics: even TAS, when they listened to the Topping D90SE, had to admit https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/topping-d90se-digital-to-analog-converter/ that "What I heard was reference-level digital reproduction without any sonic bromides." Reference level. Other DACs may be able to drive amplifiers that require stronger output circuitry from their sources, or a lower output impedance (the D90SE is not perfect from these points of view) to avoid either distortion or uneven frequency response, but if the electrical matching is correct, this is reference. That's why I use a D90 to drive the Neurochrome Buffer and the latter drives the Purifis.)

8 hours ago, PYP said:

It appears to be some variation of the 1ET400A -- from the NAD website (bolding added):  "NAD’s renowned designers worked closely with Purifi Audio to customise the Eigentakt implementation to ensure every product featuring the technology would meet the high standards NAD is known for. For this reason, NAD manufactures its own Eigentakt modules rather than buy off-the-shelf."

The modules they use are indeed 1ET400A's. They look mostly the same and I cannot tell where the differences in the circuits are, if any, but the modulator boards appears to have a little shielding of their own.

Over at ASR (the test/no listen crowd) they tested the various NAD amps and found them noisier than other implementations of Purifi amps, but with an enhanced power supply that generates more output than Purifi/Hypex combinations.  

Purifi announced a while back that they were developing their own power supply(s), but do not believe they are yet available.  

Guessing that all this Class D new product has been greatly slowed down by the mess in China over COVID and supply chain issues.

Tone with Soul