IGNORED

Purifi Class D

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Speaking of that specific Belafonte LP, I had an interesting session at the Sydney audio club meeting many, many years ago. A supposedly pretty decent vinyl rig was set up, and played the copy that someone had ... God, it was awful!! The vinyl tracking distortion was atrocious - for me, it was, unlistenable ... yet other members around me were listening with a rapt expression on their faces ...

And every now and again someone claims I'm against audiophiles - oh dear, 😆.

You're wired different... 

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2021 at 5:32 PM, jaytor said:

The Purifi modules have an input impedance of 4.4K across the differential inputs (2.2K to ground). The general rule of thumb is that you want to have a source output impedance that is at least 10 times lower than the input impedance. So if your source has a differential output impedance under about 450 ohms and plenty of drive, and you are using short interconnects, you might be happy with the results. 

I tried bypassing the input buffer, and even though I have a low 66ohm differential output impedance from my preamp, I thought the sound was more dynamic with more weight with the input buffer active. However, I do have long balanced interconnects (~8M). So your results may be different. You won't hurt anything by trying it. 

I forgot to give some feedback on this. Bypassing the input buffer with my DAC gave excellent results: https://www.ecdesigns.nl/en/shop/powerdac-r

It has 32 ohm output impedance, and the volume control is very transparent. Interconnects used are 1 meter long. The sound was really dynamic, no issue at all, and the amp was dead quiet. 

My speakers are 90db, and lowest gain is OK. 

This was with the Audiophonics HPA-S250NCI. did not try other modules, but concluded  that the input buffer is really the weak link in that purifi implementation.

41 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Matias - Thanks for the heads up.

Wonder what kind of power supply will be required to supply the juice to output 40 amps of current?

I guess there is the one that is used to power the Hypex Ncore NC1200.

Yes, the regular Hypex SMPS1200 should do, I suppose the higher voltage version, SMPS1200A700.

By the way forgot to post the excellent measurements. Almost as fine as the 1ET400A but with tons of current, probably more expensive though. Bruno really outdid himself.

1ET7040SA

1ET7040SA.jpg.7dc472b414c0bff35e0a30ead527b28d.jpg

1ET400A

1ET400A.jpg.d1ba9cfb7877ced6a45b4e260d2274c0.jpg

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2021 at 6:29 AM, 57gold said:

Haven't seen anything more on this new unit.

Given its capabilities, you'd think amp builders would be jumping on board, scrambling to announce a new unit?

I don't think PuriFi has released it yet. It's not on their Web site.

• 1 month later...

I have just been informed by Australian March Audio that everyone is still waiting for Purifi to actually start mass production of the new module, which should be “very soon.”

Al Jones

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

This just in direct from Purifi re the new module:

“Hopefully early in the new year. But it’s difficult to say for sure due to the ongoing component scarcity situation.”

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

• 11 months later...

Is the Purifi 1ET7040SA ( High 40A Current Output) for "professionals" only?  I don't see it on the Purify website, only the 1ET400A.   

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

6 minutes ago, PYP said:

Is the Purifi 1ET7040SA ( High 40A Current Output) for "professionals" only?  I don't see it on the Purify website, only the 1ET400A.   

Yeah, no DIY option with the higher power modules it seems.  I might just purchase an affordable build from a manufacturer and then DIY it to be better.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 11/11/2022 at 12:06 PM, barrows said:

Yeah, no DIY option with the higher power modules it seems.  I might just purchase an affordable build from a manufacturer and then DIY it to be better.

Apart from the higher current, do you know if the sound quality of the Purifi 1ET7040SA module is superior to that of the 1ET400A? As you note, there are manufacturers offering Class D amplifiers using this new module.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

3 minutes ago, Allan F said:

do you know if the sound quality of the Purifi 1ET7040SA module is superior to that of the 1ET400A?

AFAIR, no.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, John Hughes said:

@Barrows. This is a smart answer!  My speakers are super efficient so these differences won't be audible.  But I'd bet the higher power modules would make a difference in speakers at 4ohms and less than 88db efficiency.

Yeah, I suspect there is some level of efficiency where more headroom will not bring improvements, but without trying one never knows for sure.  My own speakers are 4 ohm, and rated 90 dB for 1 watt, but I suspect that rating is a bit generous, as the speakers do appear to like some more power.  Theoretically, the 400 Watts at 4 ohms should be much more than enough, but the amp with even more headroom has sounded better in the past.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

12 hours ago, barrows said:

Yeah, I suspect there is some level of efficiency where more headroom will not bring improvements, but without trying one never knows for sure.  My own speakers are 4 ohm, and rated 90 dB for 1 watt, but I suspect that rating is a bit generous, as the speakers do appear to like some more power.  Theoretically, the 400 Watts at 4 ohms should be much more than enough, but the amp with even more headroom has sounded better in the past.

Usually it is the loudspeaker's complex impedance that matters from amplifier perspective. Not the absolute resistive impedance power. And that combined with amplifier's damping factor.

If you don't have complex impedance curves of the loudspeaker, minimum EPDR gives a good idea how difficult the loudspeaker is to drive. Something like 2.5 ohm EPDR is not unusual, and these appear usually around mid bass frequencies for conventional dynamic speakers. And around treble area for electrostatic speakers (electrostatic is essentially a capacitor, higher the frequency, closer it gets to short-circuit). Magnetostatic speakers have their own unique behavior.

High damping factor vs minimum EPDR is best comparison if you want to get idea of how much the amplifier has control over the speaker.

If you have electrostatic, it is essentially a short-circuit for class-D's switching frequency.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers