IGNORED

Purifi Class D

9 minutes ago, Jud said:

The  first CD players used "brickwall" digital filters without upsampling. It was only a little while later that they began to employ first 4x then 8x upsampling.

If am not mistaken this was a filter at 20khz. Which means that the first mirror image started at 24.1Khz, and then they had to use a steep analog filter. They moved quite quickly to 2x upsampling (so with the first image from 68.2khz, allowing for gentler analog filtering) but they started advertising the upsampling with 4x.

14 minutes ago, mocenigo said:

The sigma-delta modulation is not to enable a "simpler, less expensive final analog reconstruction filter", it is a conversion process and in fact it requires a more significant investment analog reconstruction filter. What it does is that it makes the DAC cheaper and at the same time more precise (except the very first iterations which had problems such as potentially unbound settling times and the like).

@Miska, writing in 2019:

That is one of the purposes of SDM DACs, that as much as possible things that require accuracy and complexity are done in digital domain using DSP, rather than in analog domain on hardware. This improves reliability and precision while also being cheaper at the same time.

It is possible I am confused between less expensive hardware overall and less expensive analog reconstruction filter hardware, though I thought I recalled reading that the latter was true.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 minutes ago, mocenigo said:

If am not mistaken this was a filter at 20khz. Which means that the first mirror image started at 24.1Khz, and then they had to use a steep analog filter. They moved quite quickly to 2x upsampling (so with the first image from 68.2khz, allowing for gentler analog filtering) but they started advertising the upsampling with 4x.

Yes, exactly. Upsampling made better filter design easier. (Yes, I do realize that upsampling in itself necessitates filtering.)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

6 hours ago, Jud said:

@Miska, writing in 2019:

It is possible I am confused between less expensive hardware overall and less expensive analog reconstruction filter hardware, though I thought I recalled reading that the latter was true.

I wrote more investment, i.e. there is some R&D that is more significant. The actual HW, including then analog filter, can be cheaper.

On 7/16/2023 at 7:44 PM, PeterG said:

I have not listened to Shokz, but this is an interesting idea.  I think one reason that some people prefer vinyl is that they are feeling certain sounds that are not on a CD and may not be audible

Exactly, like crackles, pops, low frequency rumble, feedback, and a higher noise level overall!

5 hours ago, Miska said:

it is not absent, it is already created in the ADC as result of that band-limiting. I have demonstrated this also in practice.

Do not misquote me. I did not write that it is absent. It is for audibility purposes.

12 hours ago,  mocenigo said: 

No processing of the signal will reduce them.

5 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes it does, they get further apart and lower in level due to transfer function of sample-and-hold process. This makes it easier for the analog post-filter to remove what ever remains

Please do not reply out of context. I was referring to a NOS context. In that case at most you filter at 20khz and then you eliminate the components of the image between 22.05khz and 24khz.  Not much. 

54 minutes ago, mocenigo said:

Do not misquote me. I did not write that it is absent. It is for audibility purposes.

12 hours ago,  mocenigo said: 

No processing of the signal will reduce them.

Please do not reply out of context. I was referring to a NOS context. In that case at most you filter at 20khz and then you eliminate the components of the image between 22.05khz and 24khz.  Not much. 

To eliminate any confusion, you're now agreeing (as shown in the graphs Miska provided) that oversampling can make it easier to do good digital filtering (though oversampling itself necessitates digital filtering steps)?

7 hours ago, mocenigo said:

I wrote more investment, i.e. there is some R&D that is more significant. The actual HW, including then analog filter, can be cheaper.

I believe it is rather common for businesses to invest in technologies that will create better economic return in the end.

8 hours ago, Jud said:

To eliminate any confusion, you're now agreeing (as shown in the graphs Miska provided) that oversampling can make it easier to do good digital filtering (though oversampling itself necessitates digital filtering steps)?

we can say this. I would phrase it differently but I can agree that we agree.

(Miska however interpreted some data in a misleading way. You are not reducing the resolution of a system to just 4 bits if the artifacts are not in the audible band. And even a 10khz artifacts does not mask a less loud 440hz sound.)

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, Allan F said:

I notice that, according to the Apollon Audio website, the Purifi 1ET400A Mini Stereo Amplifier - also referred to as the Purifi 1ET400A ST Lux Stereo Amplifier - now comes equipped with the OPA 1656 op amp as standard instead of the OPA 1612. This presumably is in response to both reviews suggesting that the OPA 1656 provides better sound quality and the recommendation of Bruno Putzeys himself. FWIW, boXem also uses the OPA 1656 op amp as standard for its Purifi 1ET400A based amplifiers.

This was discussed lately from Apollon in the asr-Forum. While the OPA1612 tests slightly better, the OPA 1656 may offer better compatibility with upstream devices, iirc.

1 hour ago, DuckToller said:

While the OPA1612 tests slightly better, the OPA 1656 may offer better compatibility with upstream devices

Bruno Putzeys of course is very big on measurements, so one wonders what he's testing that varies from ASR.

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

Bruno Putzeys of course is very big on measurements, so one wonders what he's testing that varies from ASR.

Jud, could you explain that for me?

He had a video interview where he mentioned the OPA1656, which may have changed the tide, and Apollon had added some flesh on his opinion, if I understood correctly.

2 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

Jud, could you explain that for me?

He had a video interview where he mentioned the OPA1656, which may have changed the tide, and Apollon had added some flesh on his opinion, if I understood correctly.

Hi. 🙂

Yes, Bruno said in the interview OPA1656 was superior, while you mentioned the discussion at ASR where the OPA1612 was said to test better. Since Bruno's MO is to test rather than rely completely on subjective impressions, I wondered whether he had done some different tests in which the OPA1656 excelled.

3 hours ago, barrows said:

The 1612 has slightly better specs when it coms to distortion than the 1656, but if one looks closely, both of these ICs have  distortion specs which are comfortably below levels anyone would consider audible, so there are no worries there...

Bingo!

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/11/2023 at 12:57 PM, Jud said:

Yes, Bruno said in the interview OPA1656 was superior, 

On 9/11/2023 at 1:35 PM, barrows said:

and I also preferred the 1656 (to the 1612) driving the Purifi modules in my own DIY Purifi amplifier.

I had the 1656's installed in my Apollon NCx500. Tibor said he preferred these as well. When I received the amp last year I went back and forth between these and some Sonic Imagery 994's I had from my Nord's. I prefer the SI's. They sound smoother and less congested to my ears. Maybe there is a little more treble information with the 1656 but I feel it is not as well resolved. The one exception was brass/horns- I feel with just these instruments the 1656 I prefer, for whatever reason.

After reading this thread yesterday (quite a few twists and turns in between the Purifi discussions :) I just put them in again today as I have changed my front end, and was curious if they would be any different, but no, I came to same conclusion. Bass remained the same of course as this is done with a different amp in my system. 

Roon/Squeeze>Cisco2960>EtherRegen>SOTM DCBL Cat7>Antipodes K50>Jorma AES>WeissDAC501>Acoustic Zen Silver ref II>Marchand XM44>Acoustic Zen Absolute>Apollon NCx500 / Acoustic Zen Matrix II>VTV NC500>modified Magnepan 3.6R: Audioquest Hurricane & Zavfino Silver Dart power cords, Solid tech reference rack of silence with feet of silence, PSM156 power conditioner/ultimate PC, Plixir BDC power supply, Audio Sensibility DC, Gaia II, Primacoustics absorption and DIY diffuser room treatments

We would never judge sound quality on looks, of course, but which of these op amps look like they might sound better? 

image.thumb.jpeg.cbe6380a78a7bfcab37f5bdf8b1dc660.jpegIMG_3653.thumb.JPG.79fc506d032eb5616baec3af39673c91.JPGIMG_3653.thumb.JPG.79fc506d032eb5616baec3af39673c91.JPG

Roon/Squeeze>Cisco2960>EtherRegen>SOTM DCBL Cat7>Antipodes K50>Jorma AES>WeissDAC501>Acoustic Zen Silver ref II>Marchand XM44>Acoustic Zen Absolute>Apollon NCx500 / Acoustic Zen Matrix II>VTV NC500>modified Magnepan 3.6R: Audioquest Hurricane & Zavfino Silver Dart power cords, Solid tech reference rack of silence with feet of silence, PSM156 power conditioner/ultimate PC, Plixir BDC power supply, Audio Sensibility DC, Gaia II, Primacoustics absorption and DIY diffuser room treatments