IGNORED

The new Sonore opticalModule Deluxe

8 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

See the post Alex shared. It talks about the pin on the connector that is grounded on the SFP, an SFP+ port can apply a pull up on that port, when SFP is inserted it will be pulled down, an SFP+ will not pull it down so the switch can if it wants to, switch the speed. A switch with SFP+ port is free to either run at just 10Gb, have an external mechanism to change the speed (physical switch, web page configuration etc) or use the above property of SFP modules.

John S.

That’s what I was looking for. It would seem rather dumb if I could put an SFP in an SFP+ port and have it try to send at 10Gb with all kinds of issues rather than go down to 1Gb. 

Thanks John. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 3/18/2021 at 5:25 AM, R1200CL said:

@agillis or @vortecjr According to @AfterDark., It has being confirmed that the EtherRegen works with 10 GB SFP+ modules. The specific module that has been tested by him is the Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL. 
This is a pure 10GB transceiver only. No support for 1GB. 

As he is now selling these items in pairs to members here at AS, and I would also assume several of them has an opticalModule in the other end, (Like I will have later today), can you guys confirm this will work with the opticalModule as well, so there won’t be any surprises. 

(I’m claiming with great certainty that a 10 GB only SFP+ can’t auto negotiate with a 1GB SFP cage, and hence this won’t work). But maybe @JohnSwenson secretly has added 10 GB support in both the EtherRegen and both the versions of the opticalModule without anyone knowing this was feasible. Then I suggest Uptone as well as Sonore and SGC updates the data about their optical products. 

@Superdad You may comment on this as well. 

(I’m getting an error when trying to upload the data sheet, or even pictures).   

I have no idea why anyone would want to do this. 

Please note that these are not Sonore systemOptique certified. As such, we will not provide support for them. We have not tested them, do not plan to test them, they may create problems with your Sonore gear, and we reserve the right to limit your warranty accordingly. 

That said...we do like Finisar transceivers and have been working to provide a 1.25Gb/s one for sale on our website that is Sonore systemOptique certified. Special thanks to an AS member who has been providing information/feedback behind the scenes. Anyway, more information to follow...     

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

That said...we do like Finisar transceivers and have been working to provide a 1.25Gb/s one for sale on our website that is Sonore systemOptique certified. Special thanks to an AS member who has been providing information/feedback behind the scenes. Anyway, more information to follow...     

I can ensure you that the 1GB Finisar FTLF1421P1BCL SFP module works very nice into my opticalRendu. 
Using yellow singel mode fiber from EtherRegen for the last 6 months. 

Since cost is equal, the 10GB FTLX1475D3BTL SFP+ may very will be an excellent choice.

I have no idea why anyone would want to do this. 

Simply because of better SQ. It’s believed (is the correct word), that complying with the 10GB standards and above (even SFP28) will ensure lower jitter and phase noise distribution.

We have not tested them, do not plan to test them, they may create problems with your Sonore gear, and we reserve the right to limit your warranty accordingly. 

I’m sure John can assist regarding power draw, that should be the only real concern 😀

Many people experiencing SM better than MM.

I hope we one day will get an updated opticalRendu with external clock interface and official 10GB support.

Better clocks because of better phase noise has been proven to provide better SQ. 

On 3/21/2021 at 2:00 PM, vortecjr said:

Nice!

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm currently using a sfp switch to a oM, and I've been thinking about upgrading a bit. My roon server is an old lenovo laptop with a cheapo linear psu. What would give me the biggest bang for the money... A better server (maybe a nuc) or adding another oM upstreams? Basically my question is - how much does the devices and psu's upstreams an optical bridge matter? Best regards Steffen 

• 2 months later...
On 5/19/2021 at 7:32 AM, Steffenegede said:

Hi, I'm currently using a sfp switch to a oM, and I've been thinking about upgrading a bit. My roon server is an old lenovo laptop with a cheapo linear psu. What would give me the biggest bang for the money... A better server (maybe a nuc) or adding another oM upstreams? Basically my question is - how much does the devices and psu's upstreams an optical bridge matter? Best regards Steffen 

I don’t think either suggestion will rise SQ. Not knowing your full system. 
An EtherRegen after the oM may be something to consider. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/28/2021 at 3:19 AM, Mercman said:

Both Roon and Studio sounded much better with the Deluxe. The sonic difference between the two FMCs was significant.

This is surprising to me as I hadn’t seen any indication from Sonore that this might be the case.  Can you share details on how you are using this?

For me it’s OM->fiber->ER so the opticalModule is upstream of fiber so I wonder how much difference I’d notice.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

6 hours ago, Mercman said:

The OpticalModule Deluxe feeds a Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical that drives a Playback Designs MPD-8.

If you have the money available, you can try and replace the oM or add a 50 ohm EtherRegen into the chain while it’s still available, and then add the AfterDark clock you can afford. I can’t guarantee better sq. (Not sure if 50 ohm version is available). 

Both products ought to be very easy to sell again if you don’t hear any difference, and also the EtherRegen comes with a 30 day money back that to my knowledge only one person has ever used. Out of soon 2000 sold. 

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

(Not sure if 50 ohm version is available).

Both 50-Ohm and 75-Ohm clock input versions of EtherREGEN are sold out until end of January 2022 (darn global chip shortage!).  About 10% of each 250 unit production run are built as 50-Ohm and available on special request. 
But when using a sine wave output 10MHz reference clock impedance matching does not matter at all. It is only relevant when using a square wave clock.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

… also the EtherRegen comes with a 30 day money back that to my knowledge only one person has ever used. Out of soon 2000 sold. 

Actually about 8 people out of 2,900 have returned. That’s okay, tastes will vary… B|

17 hours ago, Superdad said:

Both 50-Ohm and 75-Ohm clock input versions of EtherREGEN are sold out until end of January 2022 (darn global chip shortage!).  About 10% of each 250 unit production run are built as 50-Ohm and available on special request. 
But when using a sine wave output 10MHz reference clock impedance matching does not matter at all. It is only relevant when using a square wave clock.

I got my EtherREGEN yesterday (in SE Asia, after a long journey from the US) so I feel extremely lucky now having ordered it a few weeks ago. I will connect it later today and then to my Mutec Ref 10 later. I was surprized to read that impedance matching doesn't matter. Although I still have a 75 Ohm output on the clock but the above information made me wonder:

- If impedance matching doesn't matter (REF 10 is generating a sine wave) then I could practically use any cable also? So it doesn't even have to be either 50 or 75 Ohms? 

- For now, I already have a streamer, a USB reclocker and two Mutec MC3+USB reclockers connected to the REF 10, the ER will be the fifth device. Should they be connected with the same cables and same lengths to work in sync or it makes no difference if cables are different?

- Bonus question: I possibly use my JS-2 to power the ER. Will sound better/run cooler at 9V or 12V, or makes no difference? 

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

4 hours ago, zoltan said:

- If impedance matching doesn't matter (REF 10 is generating a sine wave) then I could practically use any cable also? So it doesn't even have to be either 50 or 75 Ohms?

Actually, the excellent Mutec REF10 is one of the few clocks out there that is a square wave output.  So for you impedance matching and a cable with very wide bandwidth is important to preserving the shape of that. Fortunately your REF10 offers both 50-Ohm and 75-Ohm outputs. Please refer to our paper linked here:

- For now, I already have a streamer, a USB reclocker and two Mutec MC3+USB reclockers connected to the REF 10, the ER will be the fifth device. Should they be connected with the same cables and same lengths to work in sync or it makes no difference if cables are different?

Should not matter if the clock cables are same or different, but since your clock is square wave and two of its outputs are 50-Ohm and six are 75-Ohm, you’ll need to pay attention to that and use cables that match those outputs.  Again, see the linked paper with regards what matters in a clock cable for square wave (quite different than what matters for sine wave clocks).

Bonus question: I possibly use my JS-2 to power the ER. Will sound better/run cooler at 9V or 12V, or makes no difference? 

Due to the design of the EtherREGEN’s power networks, neither heat nor sonics will vary with input voltage. Wattage consumed is the same, so current draw is lower at 12V (0.8A) than at 9V (1.0A) or 7V (about 1.35A).

On 10/31/2021 at 8:04 AM, Superdad said:

Actually, the excellent Mutec REF10 is one of the few clocks out there that is a square wave output.  So for you impedance matching and a cable with very wide bandwidth is important to preserving the shape of that. Fortunately your REF10 offers both 50-Ohm and 75-Ohm outputs. P

I lucked out and scored a used REF10 and it arrived last week.  A 50 ohm Shunyata Delta v2 clock cable runs to my DAC and a 75 ohm Shunyata Alpha v1 runs to my ER.  Heck of an upgrade.

19 hours ago, R1200CL said:

What else will it power ? Only your EtherRegen ?

Actually, it's a bit of difficult situation. I have had the JS-2 for 4 years and I love it. Great sound, reliable and a beauty. It already powers four devices. A SOtM SMS-200 ultra and a SOtM txUSB ultra at 9V and two Mutec MC3+USB where the SMPS was removed at 7V. (There is an LT3045 based DC-DC regulator to bring the voltage down to 6.2 that the Mutec needs). 
I don't think it is a good idea to connect the ER parallel to the SOtM units, that would a bit excessive. I have a SOtM SPS-500 power supply that can be set to 7/9/12 V, so I can either put the SOtM units or the Mutec to run on that and power the ER from the JS-2, or power power the ER from the  SPS-500. That is why I said "possibly". The SPS-500 is good but not as good the the  JS-2. Well, half the price... I should sell that and just get another JS-2. The problem is that I live in SE Asia now and shipping a JS-2 here reliably is quite expensive I guess. 

1 hour ago, zoltan said:

I should sell that and just get another JS-2. The problem is that I live in SE Asia now and shipping a JS-2 here reliably is quite expensive I guess. 

Door-to-door FedEx Express shipping of a JS-2 in its 7Kg double-boxed carton to any location outside of North America is the same $95 we have always charged. 
(arrangement regarding lowered customs value declaration is discussed privately).

Presently accepting reservations for the next build batch, begun today, for shipment by November 23rd.

Contact me via e-mail or our web site if you indeed wish to obtain another lovely JS-2.  B|

11 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Door-to-door FedEx Express shipping of a JS-2 in its 7Kg double-boxed carton to any location outside of North America is the same $95 we have always charged. 
(arrangement regarding lowered customs value declaration is discussed privately).

Presently accepting reservations for the next build batch, begun today, for shipment by November 23rd.

Contact me via e-mail or our web site if you indeed wish to obtain another lovely JS-2.  B|

Thank! I will. 

Hello hello. Will appreciate if someone can point me to the right info... I'm about to get the OpticalRendu. SGC has a bundle that with a Fiber Media Converter. Does it make sense for me to get the OpticalModule instead of the FMC? I'm assuming the SQ is better with OpticalModule?

My understanding is:

Option 1 = Switch with optical > direct to OpticalRendu > DAC

Option 2 = Switch with cable > FMC > OpticalRendu > DAC

Option 3 = Switch with cable > OpticalModule > OpticalRendu > DAC

Is (3) the best for SQ? Or no big difference?

And (2) is better than (1)?

(I'm a little delirious now:/ after reading dozens of pages from forum discussions. Also viewed almost all of SMC's lovely videos... but can't seem to find the right answer for this question.)

Thanks!

P.S. Still building my system. OpticalRendu + Holo May DAC + Preamp? + Tube Monoblocks + Focal Sopra

Roon Rock (Intel i5) > HQPlayer (Win11 Intel i9-12900, 32Gb DDR5 6000MHz, 360mm AIO, RTX3080TI 12Gb) >

WiFi > Sonore opticalRendu > USB >Holo Audio May >

Luxman C-900u > Luxman M-900u > Focal Sopra 2💙💛

Option 3, though as one works their way down your list, the improvements are there, though may be subtle at first. I actually have a triple fiber bridge before my oR - Cisco 2960 fiber out>oM>oM.oR. 

The oM (original) sounds better to me than a TP-link FMC, and a 10Gtek FMC I was given when I bought the demo oR is better than the TP-link. Power to the oM is important. But if I'm correct, the oM deluxe is sold out - thinking about adding a third for my office setup which is 10/100 only. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

14 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

The oM (original) sounds better to me than a TP-link FMC, and a 10Gtek FMC I was given when I bought the demo oR is better than the TP-link. Power to the oM is important. But if I'm correct, the oM deluxe is sold out - thinking about adding a third for my office setup which is 10/100 only. 

Thanks! Reassuring that the FMCs can be plugged in many places. You're right about the OM... I missed the Sold Out sign. I'll proceed with the bundle FMC first... get the OM later when it's available... and re-cycle the bundled generic FMC somewhere else.

But I thought I read elsewhere too from Sonore/SGC folks that adding fibre upstream (dirty side) doesn't help much.

Roon Rock (Intel i5) > HQPlayer (Win11 Intel i9-12900, 32Gb DDR5 6000MHz, 360mm AIO, RTX3080TI 12Gb) >

19 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Option 3, though as one works their way down your list, the improvements are there, though may be subtle at first. I actually have a triple fiber bridge before my oR - Cisco 2960 fiber out>oM>oM.oR. 

I also found my original OM to be better sounding than the FMCs I had. The OM Deluxe blew my OM out of the ballpark sonically. It is just that good in my system.

Steve Plaskin

On 11/5/2021 at 2:05 PM, ArcticSapien said:

Option 1 = Switch with optical > direct to OpticalRendu > DAC

Option 2 = Switch with cable > FMC > OpticalRendu > DAC

Option 3 = Switch with cable > OpticalModule > OpticalRendu > DAC

You forgot option 4: Switch with fiber ($99 Mikrotik) > opticalModule > EtherRegen in B>A > fiber to > opticalRendu

Or use the switch as FMC, hence suggesting Mikrotik, and leave out opticalModule. 

Main point being using the EtherRegen as last interface to your opticalRendu. 

@JohnSwenson

Since the clock in EtherRegen is located on B side, and there is a minor increase  in phase noise crossing the moat going from B to A, can one assume the opticalModule deLux may have better phase noise numbers out on the SFP side, compared to the EtherRegen ?

Could actually EtherRegen A>B + opticalModule > opticalRendu be the way to go ?

18 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

You forgot option 4: Switch with fiber ($99 Mikrotik) > opticalModule > EtherRegen in B>A > fiber to > opticalRendu

@JohnSwenson

Cool. Looks like a double switch + triple fibre solution? 

Is there a trade-off between more moats vs. more devices creating new interference? 

Both OM+ and ER are out of stock now. Just realised too that with all the LPS to support them, the total cost will creep towards that of the Signature Rendu SE.