IGNORED

The new Sonore opticalModule Deluxe

1 hour ago, gherman said:

I installed the OM Deluxe in December and added it upstream to the ER. I just ran into a problem that appears to be the OM Deluxe issue.

I'm running DSD512 into a Auralic Aries G2 using Roon. I'm getting errors when running at anything above DSD128. When I take the OM Deluxe out of the configuration, everything works fine. When I add the OM Deluxe, I get errors.

Is this the problem that people are talking about here?

I don't think so... It might be related, but no. My connection is OM deluxe-> Streamer/DAC via ethernet cable. Yours is I understand OM->ER->streamer(?)

Analogue: Michell Orbe SE,  SME IV, Van Der Hul MC10 special, Parasound JC3 (phono stage)

Digital sources: Sony SCD 1, Ayon S-10 II (network player / DAC)

Amplification: Krell KCT (pre), FBP-350mc monoblocks (x2)

Speakers: Dynaudio Evidence Temptation

Wiring: Atlas

5 minutes ago, gherman said:

So you streamer has fiber input?

No... I connect the OM deluxe with ethernet cable... For your understanding my network is Network switch->TP link fiber converter->OM deluxe->Streamer/DAC

Analogue: Michell Orbe SE,  SME IV, Van Der Hul MC10 special, Parasound JC3 (phono stage)

5 hours ago, gherman said:

So, you're not using any LAN re-clocker? 

The opticalModule contains a good clock, Per their website it contains a "fixed frequency high-quality ultra low jitter FEMTO oscillator".   As such I count it as a LAN re-clocker.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

On 2/16/2021 at 12:20 PM, sot13 said:

@jaaptina Hi! I am using a setup like yours... Can you please tell me what is the length of the ethernet cable you use to connect the OM with your streamer? I got OM Deluxe a few days ago and in my case I cannot use anything shorter than 31 inches, because then music stutters and in the worst case my streamer does not even get an IP address. Previously, when I was using TP-Link for the job, I had no problem with very short cables (2.5 inches). I try to understand whether this is a design issue of the OM Deluxe, or my unit is faulty. Thank you  

Have you tried different Ethernet cables between the OM and your streamer ?

Normally you should have a minimum of one meter cable. This isn’t a problem for any of John’s design and you can use shorter cables. However your streamer may like a one meter option. 

From SMG:

Webinar - Networking for Audiophiles

We have partnered with the team at AXPONA (Audio Expo North America) to put together a live webinar called Networking For Audiophiles.   

Learn how to set up a low latency, low noise network that will help your digital source operate with high reliability and amazing sound.

We have put together a brief presentation and will have a Q&A session afterward.  

When: Thursday, February 25th

Time: 7:00 PM Eastern, 4:00 PM Pacific

Where: Zoom Presentation

<<REGISTER NOW>>: 

Please feel free to post your questions in advance on the registration page.  

Don't miss out on this great opportunity to significantly improve your digital audio network.  

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Have you tried different Ethernet cables between the OM and your streamer ?

Normally you should have a minimum of one meter cable. This isn’t a problem for any of John’s design and you can use shorter cables. However your streamer may like a one meter option. 

@R1200CLYes, I have tried different cables, of different lengths. The "Normally you should have a minimum of one meter cable" statement is not true by ethernet standards - there is no min length requirement. I have also tested my streamer with a different FBP and it had no problem with a 2.5 inch cable!!!

Something must be strange with my sample of OM Deluxe though. I did the test of connecting it to my laptop (i.e. not my audio device / streamer). When connected with a 31 inch cable everything was fine. However, when I used a shorter cable (the shorter... the worst), the link speed dropped from 1000Mbps (that it should be) to 100Mpbs and using the Ping command, I experienced 4-6% packet loss! I think, either my OM Deluxe is faulty, or there is a design issue!

The eR does more than reclock. I have a eR and added an OM, and it made audible difference. The biggest improvement however was the eR. In fact an OM and eR made alarge enough a difference that I dumped the audiophile switch. (Whether I used or not used the switch it made no impact.)

The problem is I never tried greater than DSD128. I'm getting excessive errors with the OM -> eR and it get nothing but hiss when they are reversed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 5:59 AM, Superdad said:

No, the reasons for the creation of the opticalModule Deluxe where:

a) Having the copper port able to negotiate down to 100Mps (the smaller original was Gigabit-only) allows people to us the oM Deluxe as an FMC facing to those streamer/renderer endpoints which are only 100Mbps. There are many of that sort.

Alex or @JohnSwenson

There is a “new” important reason to purchase this oM. 

If you’re using the EtherRegen in reverse ( normally to feed the opticalRendu. Can’t think of any other HW at the moment), you’re actually more or less guaranteed to break the “moat” of the EtherRegen, and hence an opticalModule powered by an LPS 1/1.2 is the only solution. This is even more problematic if an external clock is added to the EtherRegen. But that discussion add other issues, so we can continue those in the clock or isolation treads. 

This also raises the question if power side of the oMDL is on the copper side or optical side, but maybe there isn’t a moat on the oMDL, so it’s not a relevant question?

Meaning to get full benefit of a isolation done by copper side of the oMDL you must use the special Uptone ultraCaps power supply. 

Please confirm I’m correct. (No need to comment on the rest of the sketch in this tread). 

C5405974-E92A-4013-B23B-3A3921296197.jpeg

@agillis or @vortecjr According to @AfterDark., It has being confirmed that the EtherRegen works with 10 GB SFP+ modules. The specific module that has been tested by him is the Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL. 
This is a pure 10GB transceiver only. No support for 1GB. 

As he is now selling these items in pairs to members here at AS, and I would also assume several of them has an opticalModule in the other end, (Like I will have later today), can you guys confirm this will work with the opticalModule as well, so there won’t be any surprises. 

(I’m claiming with great certainty that a 10 GB only SFP+ can’t auto negotiate with a 1GB SFP cage, and hence this won’t work). But maybe @JohnSwenson secretly has added 10 GB support in both the EtherRegen and both the versions of the opticalModule without anyone knowing this was feasible. Then I suggest Uptone as well as Sonore and SGC updates the data about their optical products. 

@Superdad You may comment on this as well. 

(I’m getting an error when trying to upload the data sheet, or even pictures).   

29 minutes ago, Superdad said:

As long as the switch at the other end is also a 1GB SFP port then two SFP+ modules will work fine.

Exactly my point last 24 hours. 
Thanks for confirming. 

Only SFP+ modules that also supports 1GB will work. Simple as that.
The data sheets for SPF+ modules specifies supported data rates.

I’ve suggested some possible nice ones in AfterDark’s tread.

Still testing is a good idea.

There is always one guy out there that will find a product combination that won’t work  😀

29 minutes ago, Superdad said:

It is all up to the Ethernet PHY/processor in the equipment itself.

And doesn’t the EtherRegen and opticalModule share this ?

Alex, your are normally very precise when technical issues is discussed.

If that PHY really supports 10 GB transfer rate by SFP+, just say so. It’s simple as that 😀

It seems the Buffalo switch may support 10GB, but not official, so it may be a possible hidden feature of EtherRegen PHY even the designer didn’t knew about until recently.

Looking forward to John’s post. 

16 minutes ago, Superdad said:

No, not simple as that!  SFP/SFP+ optical transceivers do not have clocks, do not negotiate data rates, do care about data rates or even protocols.  SFP+ optical transceivers are capable of 10Gbe--or 6.789467xx or whatever--it is all set by the driving circuitry in the gear at each end. So ALL SFP+ transceivers can also run at 1Gbe.

16 minutes ago, Superdad said:

No, they specify maximum rates supported.  As mentioned, one could design a circuit to plug an SFP transceiver into and transfer any sort of LVDS date at any unique and bizarre rate--as long as you are doing the same at both ends.

Thanks. This indicates that a (two) 10GB specified SFP+ module actually will or can work in a SFP port. No matter what articles on the net says. 

So @AfterDark. plan of making a compatibility list is probably the only way to go. 

Looking forward to John’s post.

4 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

This indicates that a (two) 10GB specified SFP+ module actually will or can work in a SFP port. No matter what articles on the net says. 

So @AfterDark. plan of making a compatibility list is probably the only way to go. 

"Compatibility list" is really not necessary.  All you need to do--if you wish to use a pair of SFP+ fiber optic transceivers in a device whose SFP port is 1Gbe-only (such as EtherREGEN, opticalModule, opticalRendu, etc.)--is to be certain that the cage at the OTHER end (switch typically) is also a 1GBe-only SFP port and is NOT a device that supports 10GBe (so-called "SFP+ port"). The connections are all electrically the same between SFP and SFP+. And the transceiver modules themselves do not negotiate anything. It is all about the devices you plug them into!:D

41 minutes ago, Superdad said:

"Compatibility list" is really not necessary.  All you need to do--if you wish to use a pair of SFP+ fiber optic transceivers in a device whose SFP port is 1Gbe-only (such as EtherREGEN, opticalModule, opticalRendu, etc.)--is to be certain that the cage at the OTHER end (switch typically) is also a 1GBe-only SFP port and is NOT a device that supports 10GBe (so-called "SFP+ port"). The connections are all electrically the same between SFP and SFP+. And the transceiver modules themselves do not negotiate anything. It is all about the devices you plug them into!:D

But 1Gb SFPs won’t do 10Gb in 10Gb ports. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

There must be something in the SFP+ telling the switch that it handles 10Gb, else the switch would just try to send 10Gb in a 1Gb SFP. 

See the post Alex shared. It talks about the pin on the connector that is grounded on the SFP, an SFP+ port can apply a pull up on that port, when SFP is inserted it will be pulled down, an SFP+ will not pull it down so the switch can if it wants to, switch the speed. A switch with SFP+ port is free to either run at just 10Gb, have an external mechanism to change the speed (physical switch, web page configuration etc) or use the above property of SFP modules.

John S.