IGNORED

The new Sonore opticalModule Deluxe

New upgraded (and expensive) FMC

http://sonore.us/opticalModule-Deluxe.html

https://forums.sonicorbiter.com/forum/support-for-sonore-products/announcements/559-introducing-the-sonore-opticalmodule-deluxe

Somehow it’s at this time not clear exactly what speeds supported. I expect Sonore will update their website. But quite sure it’s the support of 100Mbps is the news. 

• Supports both 100 speed and 1000 speed network devices
  • For 1000 speed capable networks only

I would like to see SFP+ supported. Maybe next year 😀

Other than the 100 mbps speed compatibility, the +45 usd only brings "Improved circuit layout" to performance?

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Supporting 100 speed seems to indicate that you could now place this new oM between the etherREGEN (b-side out at 100 speed) and an opticalRendu.

Currently, you have to switch the eR around so the a-side connects to the oR via the SFP connection which means you "lose" the use of the a-side Ethernet ports.

51 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hmm. I better ask Jesus what this means.

DELUXE FEATURES

• Supports both 100 speed and 1000 speed network devices

FEATURES

• For 1000 speed capable networks only

Probalby means a copy-paste from the opticalModule Original and forgot to edit the text in the bottom. :D

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

A lot of high end streamers use only 10/100 inputs for ethernet (i.e. Naim) so this has been an issue with the oM. It should have been 10/100 to begin with imo. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

It's in the larger opticalRendu/LPS 1.2/etherRegen case as well, so one can use the double face plate. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 4:42 AM, Foggie said:

Flow control, I don't think the orig handled that spec eloquently or maybe not at all

I agree. Its not handled eloquently, nor is it informative. Its not at all clear to me why one would purchase this as opposed to the original OM, other than it has the RJ45 port and SFP cage on the same side of the device. What I would to know is if the new ultlralow noise voltage regulators, or crystal oscillator are higher specification that in the original OpticalModule, or not. And if so, which ones are used? 

Also, what does "supports flow control" mean, exactly?

So, my question is, why would I decide to buy this as opposed to the original OM? 

It's not clear from the web page or specifications. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

1 hour ago, Puma Cat said:

So, my question is, why would I decide to buy this as opposed to the original OM? 

One reason might be compatibility with an EtherREGEN - i.e., using the EtherREGEN with an external OM rather than the internal optical cage of the EtherREGEN. The "B" side of the EtherREGEN operates at only 100mbps, and the new OM can accommodate that rate, whereas the original OM will not because it only operates at the gigabit rate.

EDITED to note that @ericuco already saw this use case and explained it better, too!

• 1 month later...

Here is an example of optical isolation of a 100 speed or 1000 speed network device.

1182235967_ScreenShot2020-12-26at10_17_02AM.png.11ccd1354e88f4126d5cad948efeb3c9.png

Fiber optical cable (orange) in this example is coming from a switch with SFP port or a second opticalModule.

Copper cable (white) is going from opticalModule to endPoint.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 9:59 PM, Superdad said:

No, the reasons for the creation of the opticalModule Deluxe were:

a) Having the copper port able to negotiate down to 100Mps ... This new version allows for that.

b) Having added a small Ethernet switch chip in the oM Deluxe provides support for flow-control pause packets, bringing better compatibility with HQ Player NAA.

Hope the above is helpful.

--Alex C.

@Superdad, if we're connecting a streamer (e.g., UltraRendu) via the EtherREGEN's 'B' port, does the ER provide all the flow control support we might need (and thus obviate the need for an oM Deluxe) when utilizing HQ Player NAA?

Or does every device that touches the packets all the way to the server running HQP have to understand Flow-Control Pause packets?

22 minutes ago, Jeremy Anderson said:

@Superdad, if we're connecting a streamer (e.g., UltraRendu) via the EtherREGEN's 'B' port, does the ER provide all the flow control support we might need (and thus obviate the need for an oM Deluxe) when utilizing HQ Player NAA?

Or does every device that touches the packets all the way to the server running HQP have to understand Flow-Control Pause packets?

The EtherREGEN has always supported flow-control/pause-packets.

Thanks, @Superdad!

Regarding my second question, is it enough for ER to support flow-control, or does the rest of the network hardware have to as well? (I would hope that the packets, like the spice, must flow... and thus if an endpoint says 'wait a minute!' then the flow-control request will be dutifully delivered to the source even by the least intelligent of ethernet devices...)

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2020 at 10:48 PM, jaaptina said:

I'm using the OM on the streamer side and TP-Link on the network side as a budget friendly solution. No problems between OM and streamer. 

@jaaptina Hi! I am using a setup like yours... Can you please tell me what is the length of the ethernet cable you use to connect the OM with your streamer? I got OM Deluxe a few days ago and in my case I cannot use anything shorter than 31 inches, because then music stutters and in the worst case my streamer does not even get an IP address. Previously, when I was using TP-Link for the job, I had no problem with very short cables (2.5 inches). I try to understand whether this is a design issue of the OM Deluxe, or my unit is faulty. Thank you  

Analogue: Michell Orbe SE,  SME IV, Van Der Hul MC10 special, Parasound JC3 (phono stage)

Digital sources: Sony SCD 1, Ayon S-10 II (network player / DAC)

Amplification: Krell KCT (pre), FBP-350mc monoblocks (x2)

Speakers: Dynaudio Evidence Temptation

Wiring: Atlas

9 hours ago, sot13 said:

@jaaptina Hi! I am using a setup like yours... Can you please tell me what is the length of the ethernet cable you use to connect the OM with your streamer? I got OM Deluxe a few days ago and in my case I cannot use anything shorter than 31 inches, because then music stutters and in the worst case my streamer does not even get an IP address. Previously, when I was using TP-Link for the job, I had no problem with very short cables (2.5 inches). I try to understand whether this is a design issue of the OM Deluxe, or my unit is faulty. Thank you  

I use a 3 meters DIY ethernet cable with Telegartners. Never had any connection problems. 

I installed the OM Deluxe in December and added it upstream to the ER. I just ran into a problem that appears to be the OM Deluxe issue.

I'm running DSD512 into a Auralic Aries G2 using Roon. I'm getting errors when running at anything above DSD128. When I take the OM Deluxe out of the configuration, everything works fine. When I add the OM Deluxe, I get errors.

Is this the problem that people are talking about here?

On 2/16/2021 at 10:58 PM, jaaptina said:

I use a 3 meters DIY ethernet cable with Telegartners. Never had any connection problems. 

@jaaptinathank you for replying. If you don't mind me saying so, using such a long cable (3m) from OM to your streamer, you somehow are defeating its purpose which is to eliminate all the RFI etc. Have a look at this short video How to isolate a network device from noise on your network using the Sonore opticalModule Deluxe - YouTube.

Anyway, is there a possibility of running a small test for me... i.e. connect your OM to the streamer with the shortest ethernet cable you have and see if it works? Thank you!

Analogue: Michell Orbe SE,  SME IV, Van Der Hul MC10 special, Parasound JC3 (phono stage)

Digital sources: Sony SCD 1, Ayon S-10 II (network player / DAC)

Amplification: Krell KCT (pre), FBP-350mc monoblocks (x2)

Speakers: Dynaudio Evidence Temptation

Wiring: Atlas