IGNORED

DAC Manufacturer Aversion To External DSP

20 hours ago, Miska said:

And you can also consider T+A into similar category. They have their own filters for PCM side - that can be bypassed if you like. And separate pure bit-perfect discrete DSD side. They now even have built-in DSD1024 capable NAA in the SD(V) 3100 HV.

For my development headphone rig, I'm now testing the HA 200 headphone amp / DAC.

Jussi:  It appears that the newer T+A DACs use the new Thesycon U-HEAR USB receiver code.  Developers at Thesycon have confirmed that this code works with Native DSD to 1024 on Linux.  Can you confirm that the HA 200 works on Linux for Native DSD at 512 and 1024? 

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

6 hours ago, Miska said:

Just look for this badge:

spacer.png

Just remember, that this mark is a trademark.  This means that any company displaying this mark is paying for it, and adding that cost to the cable.  And some company which does the "certification" is likely getting a lot of money for it.

I am not suggesting the certification is not "real", and it likely does guarantee that the cable (or at least the sample which they tested) does meet specification.

As certification processes like this in the US (I cannot speak for what happens in the EU, I would expect that in the EU the Government is actually involved in certification) are done on a for profit basis by private certification companies, they really rub me the wrong way.  UL, for example, is basically a huge money grab-this very different from say, CE in Europe.

Every audiophile should keep at least one, properly verified, USB cable which meets the specifications, around for trouble shooting, and for reference vs. various "audiophile" options one might choose to try.  Certainly there are "audiophile" style USB cables which have proven to be problematic in some situations.  But my experience has also shown that some "audiophile" USB cables do have sound quality advantages (not all though).  I must say I am very skeptical of some of the "Audiophile" USB cables which appear to hand made (I mean the wire itself, not just the terminations): one cannot hand make a high speed data cable and expect it to meet stringent impedance specifications, as being tightly controlled for impedance requires very precise spacing of the conductors and geometry of the wires.  But there are plenty of "Audiophile" USB cables which do meet the impedance and performance specifications: I am also often more interested in "Audiophile" USB cables which actually do not adhere to the USB cable build specs (not the performance specs): as by using a different type of construction, these cables may be able to outperform cables which actually adhere to the build spec.  

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

28 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, of USB-IF, it is trademark to avoid people from randomly slamming it on something that has not passed the specified tests. Same goes for many other things like DLNA. Certification processes is not so different from FCC or similar... Or if you want to back yourself in electrical safety for CE marking, something like TÜV or FI approval. Similar approval / certification processes also apply to devices like mobile phones.

The certified cables I have cost between 10 and 20 EUR, so I don't hugely mind if part of the cost goes to the certification process. But when the cable has that badge, you know it complies to certain set of specifications.

Jussi, respectfully, I disagree.  I feel there is big difference between a government based certification, such as FCC, CE, vs. a private, for profit company which makes certifications like UL here in the US.  We have a lot of problems in the US when it comes to private for profit companies where profit is the only measure of success.  I consider, UL, for example, mostly a scam, although it is true that something which is "UL Listed" is likely safe to use in one's home, the way they collect fees for their "service" is highly suspect to me-many of their "requirements" appear to be arbitrary as well.  As an example, UL makes more money, the more times than can make a manufacturer "fail" testing before they achieve a passing grade and get "listed".  Of course manufacturers are allowed to self certify for CE, which is an interesting approach, but the EU sets the rules, not a for profit private company.  

What makes you sure that a USB cable bearing that badge actually meets the specification?  Are the cables individually tested and certified?  I would think not.  Given that many USB cables, bearing that certification, are manufactured in China, where I have had direct experience of cable manfacturing errors and outright scams (the sample cable for testing meets spec, but the subsequent production run cables do not), I would not be surprised if some cables bearing that  badge did not meet spec.

Of course for audio we only require USB 2 specifications be met.  And I am in favor of cables which meet the spec for impedance and bandwidth (the actual performance spec), I think it is possible that some "audiophile" USB cables which meet the performance spec (bandwidth and impedance) but do not comply with the construction spec, may perform even better sonically.

Perhaps there are a few made in the US USB cables (certified, High Speed), that are perhaps less suspect than ones which originate in China.  Does Belden actually make a USB bulk cable here, i would trust them.  I saw that Ghent markets a USB cable using Belden wire, but it is not USB cable, and does not meet the USB specification, I am unsure why Ghent chose to make a USB cable using that wire.

SONORE computer audio

3 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Can you give me an example of a USB implementation "done well" were  swapping a USB cable or tweaking with the source has no impact on the sound quality? 

Source and cable still matters, why would it not?  This is no indication of there being anything "wrong" with USB as an interface. In fact, USB is the best digital interface we currently have for audio, yes, some USB inputs are better than others, as is the case with any input.

SPDIF: cables matter

Analog inputs: cables matter

Ethernet inputs: apparently, cables matter

just like any input, it can be done well, or not, thta is up the engineering.  But there is nothing inherently wrong with USB.

SONORE computer audio

4 minutes ago, hopkins said:

So what is your explanation for the fact that even with a "well implemented" USB input there is still an impact of cables and source tweaking? 

This has been discussed ad infinitum at other places on this site and I feel no need to repeat it here.

And remember, my best case scenario DAC project outlined here would utilize an optical ethernet input.  This does, however, require a very sophisticated onboard Ethernet receiver implementation and isolation.

SONORE computer audio

19 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

What is your best guess cost estimate for such DAC ? (I think XLR out).

HW cost. (As engineering may be harder to predict). What is your preferred DAC chip ?

Can we at AS challenge some DAC manufacturers to build a DAC according to such specs ?

Maybe some sort of group buy or crow founding ?

impossible to predict due to development costs, and engineering time.  My goal would be to have it be reasonable, as I have no interest in making 5 figure DACs.

This would be for DSD 256 input and above only, no PCM, US made,  I would like to target $7K or less, hopefully...  But remember this approach is all about less features: single input only, designed for oversampling in software, etc.  Sales would be somewhat limited, as this is special use case product, so development costs would only be spread over a handful of units.

No DAC chip, my preference would be for discrete DSD conversion stage, running at a high rate of DSD.  the exact topology of this conversion stage would be TBD, I have a heard a few different discrete DSD DACs here, and some of these approaches have some "problems" which would need to be ironed out.

Existing manufacturers want to build their own products, as well they should, and are unlikely to build something that few folks on the Internet want.  So this would require serious backing, and at least a year long development cycle, probably hiring at least two really sharp engineers-doing something like this is not simple, especially doing it right.

And there are plenty of good DACs out there already, which are close, like T+A and Playback Designs, etc, etc...  So I am not sure it would be a wise move to invest a ton of $$ into.

SONORE computer audio

6 hours ago, Summit said:

HDMI doesn’t sucks for audio. If it would no manufacturer would use it for AV.

When I say HDMI, I mean HDMI.  It is compromised for audio, if you do not believe me, do a little research.  Charlie Hansen (RIP) has explained why fairly well and his thoughts on this are available somewhere on the Internet, a Google search will find it.

My opinions are formed from technical facts, these are not things I am just making up.  HDMI was developed in order to provide a simple, easy to use, interface for home theater use, it was not designed to deliver the best audio performance possible.

I would suggest that anytime one combines a Television with an audio, one is making a compromise on audio performance, unless one unplugs all TV from the wall and connections between it and the audio system before listening to music.   

SONORE computer audio

35 minutes ago, 4est said:

I wouldn't get too hung up on having an uber expensive machine for starters. Even then they last for a long time if you are willing to stay put. Until my recent upgrade I was getting by with a i7 3770k with a 1060 video card. It would play- poly sinc/DSD7 at 512 just fine. The new filters are even better, but I didn't know what I was missing until I upgraded. It sounded great, and one can always upgrade computers as they go. When using an NAA one has already separated the functions and there are plenty of lower cost computers than can serve as an endpoint.

Except that I would mention, at least for me, once I heard the EC modulators at DSD 256 through my (DIY) DSC-2 DAC, I would not be satisfied building a machine which could not run them.  This is actually why I am still using Roon for conversion to DSD, as I still have not gotten around to putting together a machine powerful to run the EC modulators at DSD 256 (my previous auditioning of them was brief, they would play on an I9 machine, not "K", for 20 seconds or so before stuttering).  

Ultimate goal became for me a non-compromised machine running I9-9900K or better so that I can run the EC modulators at DSD 256.  For me the EC modulators were so good, that I would not even bother building something which cannot run them reliably.  Jussi says for these modulators the base clock rate is the important factor, not so much Turbo boost, or number of cores.

I am looking forward to what Chris builds for the "Twenty" but the 10th Gen Intel processors are getting really, really expensive!  and then throwing in a Jcat NIC and, well...   I am hoping the price of I9-9900K might come down a little once the 10th Gens are established...

SONORE computer audio

54 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Maybe save the server discussion and HQPlayer requirements to CAPS Twenty part 2, or continue on the HQPlayer  tread 😀

Seems pretty relevant here?  Sending a DAC high rates requires oversampling in a server, so...

SONORE computer audio

5 minutes ago, wklie said:

I've given some thought about choice in the context of ESS DAC.  ESS offers multiple filters and a variety of register settings, many of which might affect SQ.  A whole spectrum of the range of choices would be possible.  At one extreme, I've seen an ESS DAC exposing almost the whole register set configurable via the front panel.  Except for the DIY community, it would be too confusing for most users.  A simple and valid question like "what settings sound best" would be unanswerable.

At the other extreme like our products, we leave no choice to users (other than DSD upsampling, which marketing considers to be important).  We never had selectable filter in our product line.  Before the release of our ES9038PRO based flagship product, I read a number of reviews of ESS DAC and gathered filter preferences from multiple reviewers.  I researched the public discussions of filters, read opinions from experts like Miska and other manufacturers, and consulted an expert in private.  I also had a group of users did a blind filter test for me and have come to the conclusion that a selectable filter would be worthwhile.  Instead of exposing all the ESS filters, in an attempt to balance between choice and confusion, I proposed that we should have two filters.  Unfortunately, it was unanimously banned by all our decision makers.  Anyway, we keep our "house sound".

Thanks for providing a manufacturer's perspective.

This leaves me, personally, even more convinced that there could be enough demand in the marketplace for a very simple DAC, designed specifically for users who desire to oversample in software.  I am thinking a DAC designed for DSD 256 input (and up) only, which would use a discrete DSD conversion stage, include enough oomph in the output stage to drive amplifiers directly, and have a bypassable analog volume control (for those who might not be willing to fully trust VC in software).

While HQPlayer would be recommended, outstanding performance would also be available form other players, such as Roon, and Daphile, which both have good conversion to DSD (unfortunately Audirvana still does not allow for DSD-DSD oversampling, although Audirvana would work for those people who have no DSD files). 

SONORE computer audio

15 minutes ago, One and a half said:

By simple DAC, do you mean an R2R type?

No, not for me, R2R is for PCM only, i prefer DSD conversion, as DSD conversion (at a high enough input sample rate) can be achieved by a fairly simple circuit, and have excellent linearity (unlike r2R for PCM with is fraught with linearity problems).

There have been a number of DSD conversion approaches done discretely, but most of them use some kind of high speed switch, followed by a filter circuit.  I do not know what the "best" approach of these is, figuring that out would likely take some development.  A version of Jussi's DSC approach is likely to produce very good results with enough attention to the details and excellent engineering.

When I say simple, mainly I am referring to not having any (or possibly just a simple bit to a much higher rate from an already high rate input) processing on the signal in the DAC, so no need for FPGAs or DSP chips doing all kinds of digital manipulation, instead, just the receiver circuit (USB or optical Ethernet) and the re-clocking stage, then input direct to the discrete converter.

SONORE computer audio