IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

My BG7TBL clock arrived yesterday. Left it warming overnight and listened this morning. Nothing earth shattering but a nice improvement, mostly to the soundstage with more depth and focus, and also to bottom end detail. Certainly worth the money! I'm using the Geistnote Wyde Eye and the sine wave output to the MicroCircuits Filter. Power is by an Astron 7 amp linear, not great but better than the wall wart included. I'm awaiting on some of Alexey's LT3045 modules to improve the Astron ps. Then maybe some neoprene etc.

The ocxo looks to be a CMAC, but I can't identify the specific model. Here's a pic if anyone knows anything about it.

ocxo.jpg

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

Thanks Mihaylov. That mod looks pretty straight forward. I'm all thumbs with a soldering iron, so I'll have my brother do it when I see him next month.

Do you have any details on the ocxo?

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

Just received my Afterdark project Clayx Giesemann OCXO 10mhz Reference master Clock.

I will do some listening tonight.

The additional power cord is a Beldon Iconoclast BAV power cable.

I have some Beldon 4694R BNC cables on the way tomorrow.

BNC Connections:

1. EtherREGEN-->DirectStream DAC-->Blu Hawaii Amp/Woo Audio WA33 Amp

2. sNH-10G Audio Switch Hub--Chord Blu MK2-->DAVE DAC

3. Mutec MC-3+USB -->Mirus DAC

Model: Giesemann Eva

Phase Noise:

1Hz -121

10Hz-145

Afterdark.jpg

On 6/23/2022 at 8:21 AM, Mihaylov said:

It is better to use the oscillator output directly as shown in the photo. You can use any output of the device for this.

6A7909F7-7708-43B2-9552-BE8118E40FD2.thumb.jpeg.2ab90d3c08d2d2b5b3c6d995f3e72d69.jpeg

Hi Mihaylov, I am interested on this mod since inexpensive.  How was the conclusion reached and will this be sine waveform then ? I only need to solder this out eith some good coaxial cable to any of the 3 outputs and used it ? Any recommended trace locations to cut off to those 2 no longer usable outputs especially to square waveform if indeed remaining output is sine waveform ? Lastly and just in case I mess it up, left is the signal or the right while the other is ground? Many thanks in advance. Cheers.

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

Hi Richard!

On 6/29/2022 at 6:05 PM, richard_crl032 said:

How was the conclusion reached and will this be sine waveform then ?

Here is the waveform on the output of the oscillator.

E1A2EAA5-2157-497B-8BF4-831CD7F907F6.thumb.jpeg.29bf96bda110014ae8ea2261c8dc69dc.jpeg

On 6/29/2022 at 6:05 PM, richard_crl032 said:

I only need to solder this out eith some good coaxial cable to any of the 3 outputs and used it ?

Yes. But first the C32 capacitor must be removed and then the oscillator output will be disconnected from the circuit. You also need to remove the inductance L12 if the middle output of the clock is to be used (or L10 or L5 if the left or right outputs are used, respectively). 

Only one output of the clock will function, namely the one to which the output of the ocillator will be connected by a coaxial cable.

For my recommendations to be absolutely accurate, it would be good if you showed a photo of the back of your clock's board. If this board is different from mine.

• 2 weeks later...

@Mihaylov We made your mod for direct connection to the ocxo output today. I think a little improvement. However, the red error light comes/stays on. Is this normal?

Also, this was very easy. No desoldering necessary, the two parts just pulled out without any heat applied, not very well put together!

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys,

Regardless of what values a clock has in terms of phase noise, what is ultimately relevant is what is output from the Etherregen via Ethernet and arrives at the receiver.

Are there any measurements that can prove an improvement of the differential signal (e.g. Ethernet jitter) and common mode noise when using an external clock?

Hi guys,

my summary of the measurements of the EtherREGEN are currently published:
https://www.open-end-music.com/forum/pr ... post658415

I also measured the EtherREGEN with an external 10MHz clock to see if there is really any improvement on this.

Maybe this will interest one or the other.

I had also requested here in with the forum owner an article concerning the topic Ethernet sound with my measurements, on this unfortunately then no more answer received.
So you have to read the article with Google Translate and maybe accept small translation errors.

Best regards and happy reading,

Tom

46 minutes ago, dylanesque said:

Thanks for sharing the results @TomJ

intriguing that ext. clock measures poor. 
Could you please shed light if the Neutronstar 3 is sq wave output? Would’ve been very interesting with Mutec Ref10120 or Adark. 

Its sq wave.
But the users of this clock report a similar sound improvement as with the afterdark giesemann, but not as strong.

And here is a statement of Ed Meitner regarding external clocks (for DACs, but this is the same for switches):

https://www.stereophile.com/content/meitner-emm-dv2-dsd-mqa-digital-audio

Quote:

JVS: You don't believe in using an external word clock. Why?

EM: Because I think this is the most stupid thing I've ever heard in the audio business. That means you have a precision clock that you have to connect to a wire to connect to a DAC, when the clock should be straight away where it belongs, inside the DAC, beside the DAC chip, if there is such a thing—not through a cable in a different box. This is so idiotic, it's not even funny. It's a money grab.

30 minutes ago, Savolax said:

Did you find any improvement (or any difference) with external clock while listening?

As i am biased, i refer statements regarding sound improvements in this regard to the owners and users.

And as I said, they report an improvement in sound, which I do not question.

I also note once again that in order to evaluate the quality of a particular network audio device (for example, a switch in this case) using certain measurements, it is necessary to prove in one way or another that these measurements correlate with sound quality. It's a separate big time-consuming work and I didn't find that in the measurements.
Without this, it is better to evaluate any audio device by sound quality as is customary.

2 hours ago, Mihaylov said:

Neutron Star 3 does not have OCXO installed.

One could ask the guy's intentions. Or he is just a person that doesn’t know better. Reminds of a certain other guy that is showing of his measurements and screws things up.