IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

17 minutes ago, Clockmeister said:

My personal dac collection number over 100 now including some highly desirable audiophile delights plus some real howlers. Yet I use dac's between 28 and 16 years old simply because the make music correctly and place you firmly inside the recording environment. A lot of the new high-end bling infested are just merely polish hifi with zero grain and very little involvement. However, audio is very personal and what one man really enjoys the other is not so fussed.

Clockmeister,

Thanks for the extra detail and color commentary! I appreciate learning the perspective and context from which you're coming from because absolutely, one person's peach is another's, um, ploop. (Not that it matters, but I just read impressions of some rooms at the Pacific Audio Show here near Seattle. Wow, the reviewer's "most beautiful, lushest, hypnotic" was my worst or second worst-sounding room...and then there were a couple rooms we did agree on. Crazy hobby, this.)

DACs...thanks for that tidbit, and I have felt a tug in your direction (the past). I have been finding that there's a careful balance between "past" technological approaches versus/combined with modern noise "aware" designs and implementations.

Please don't let your digital testing fetish become too confident in its hypothesizing–words can't convey some of the things I hear (and love), and perhaps that's partly why this hobby is so wacky. Maybe you will help coin new expressions or words to bridge these sonic chasms, ha ha.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

On 7/8/2023 at 2:41 PM, Jakenz said:

I like that we both have Puritan + GM setup, albeit with systems at rather different levels. At the risk of going a little off topic, how did you initially signal ground with a Puritan PSM + GM prior to getting the Route Master?

@JakenzI have not had a PSM.  

Mike was kind enough to make a pigtails for me with the GM, in early days. 

DIY’ed leads and used a rather crude but neat way, using a Home theater panel with banana sockets, off Amazon. 

As I am having a lab re arrangement currently, I thought I would dust off the VNA (Vector Network Analyser) these are used for cable measurements, S11/S12 & S21/S22 return loss (dynamically), antenna setting up (SWR). circuit pathway measurements/ base and broad band emission monitoring and 5/6G & higher communication rf transmission decoding etc

VNA explanation

So I found an appropriate 'N' terminated 50Ohm T-flex 405 cable, let the instrument warm up for a hour or so, calibrated then looked at the results of investigation.

Now on this unit only looking up to 1.5Ghz (not quite DC to daylight lol) anyway these images are of the Smith chart/ phase response / Polar chart and S11 reflection coefficient (gamma) ideally as close to one is the goal. Phase response here looks odd but is actually very good. With the DUT (cable) showing just over 3.2 cycles in 1 GHz, that's equivalent to an electrical length of about 3.2 feet, the actually cable length is 90cm so pretty close I feel. light travels at about 1 ns per foot or in a typical plastic-insulated cable a physical length of about 2.2 ft / .67 m in that time period.

SVNAb1.jpg

SVNAb2.jpg

SVNAb3.jpg

SVNAb4.jpg

Reality is somewhat stranger than fiction with audio, beware those bearing audio gifts, all that glitters is usually poor sounding equipment contained within over engineered and nice looking cases with an equally impressive price tag to match.

Areospace & Audio designs with a retail outlet Musical Coherence

@Clockmeister Hi David:

I shared with @JohnSwenson your comments about the Crystek CCHD-575 (which we use a 25.0MHz instance of in the EtherREGEN as reference for the Skyworks clock synthesizer--though we are moving to two even lower jitter Analog Devices ADF-series synths for EtherREGEN Gen2).

Below were his comments:

"On the 575 it not so much that the 575 itself is radiating noise, but the current spikes on the power and ground when edges occur. You can decrease the spectrum of these spikes by slowing down the edges (a series resistor works for that). David is complaining about the broadband noise on the ground plane and power planes contaminating the clock receiver on chips receiving the clock.

If you make the edge slow the broadband noise on the planes goes way down but you get more jitter on the receiver from the slow edge. Of course the way to get around that is to use differential clocks that don't look at the planes at all, but you somehow have to get the single-ended clock converted into differential which can embed the noise on the planes into jitter on the differential signal. So this comes down to converting the single-ended clock to differential as close to the clock as is physically possible to cut down on the area that clock current is running through the board. Careful layout can drastically reduce such effects on the board.

Of course very few DAC designers know about such things so this issue is rarely optimal in DAC designs. As you know Alex, I HAVE very carefully worked out such things in the EtherREGEN to try and minimize these effects. And in EtherREGEN Gen2 the single-ended clock is only going to be from the 575 or BNC to the LTC sine-to-square chip which has filters that get rid of all that broadband stuff anyway. The clock from there on is fully differential. So these effects of the 575 are almost completely mitigated by the way clocks are being handled in the ER2."

On 7/8/2023 at 11:48 AM, Clockmeister said:

Grounding is a interesting subject one which I really could deleve into great depth, so many audio manufacturers white papers I've seen on this at quiet frankly they are very wide of the mark.

This is RF at work, primarily conducted emissions, however there are other reference rail issue to overcome as well.

The whole point of the exercise is to reduce the PD (potential difference) between each of the 0Vdc (reference rails) between the various connected equipment to a low a resistance as possible. Taking into account the whole transmission line itself and the following impedances. Absolute ideal is a single connection point rather than multiple boxes which will give you variously different PD's. I'm not saying they don't work, what I suggesting is that it's not as optimal as it could be.

Over the years I have collected pretty much all of the latest and greatest grounding boxes, measured them in NON-Amir way (lol) in working systems with a calibrated set up to specifically designed to record and identify this very issue.

Hi @Clockmeister , 

Your post raised interest among contributors to Head-Fi who are building grounding boxes. 

I have two questions for you on behalf of @cdacosta from Heaf-Fi. 

1. Were you referring to star grounding the chassis/earth grounding of all components or signal grounding?  

2. How are you recommending this be accomplished? If the earth ground from the wall is already being split off from say a PLC to all other parts of the system, wouldn't the ground potential already be very close in relation to one another?

I apologize for being slightly off-topic with the subject of this thread. 

Thank you for your inquiry.
Yes, it's perfectly fine to use 75ohm cables for 50ohm to 50ohm connections.
50ohm output ---> 75ohm cable ---> 50ohm input No problem at all, clock characteristics are preserved.
This has been confirmed using a measuring instrument and has no effect on the characteristics of the clock signal.

< For your reference >
This is a characteristic because the output format of our clock products is sinusoidal.
If you use other clock products, be aware that if it's a square wave, you'll need to match the impedance exactly
from cybershaft
Kenji Hasegawa
Cybershaft

16 hours ago, doitttt said:

< For your reference >
This is a characteristic because the output format of our clock products is sinusoidal.
If you use other clock products, be aware that if it's a square wave, you'll need to match the impedance exactly
from cybershaft
Kenji Hasegawa
Cybershaft

:D It is nice to see Cybershaft agree with what we keep explaining to people for the past couple of years: 

That impedance match of clock>cable>device matters only when square-wave clock is used; Does not matter at all for sine-wave clock.

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

:D It is nice to see Cybershaft agree with what we keep explaining to people for the past couple of years: 

That impedance match of clock>cable>device matters only when square-wave clock is used; Does not matter at all for sine-wave clock.

Indeed!

FYI Cybershaft repeat this as a standing statement on their product page for their new pure silver 75 ohm cable, without which assurance fewer of their target market of Cybershaft 50 ohm clock-owning clients would be interested methinks. 😉

https://cybershaft.shop/products/75ohm-pure-silver-bnc-cable

image.thumb.png.880c442bf441a87564cd83fb4e24cb52.png