IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

On 2/17/2023 at 5:52 AM, MartinT said:

have just received a Harmonic Technology Digital Copper III clock cable and it has improved the sound from my system to its best yet.  I will shortly be splitting it into two 0.5m lengths for running my EtherREGEN and Gustard U18/X26 Pro from the two clocks.

From where did you buy this cable?

8 minutes ago, ZeusOdin said:

Have you had a chance to compare the Rosanna with the SMS-200 Ultra Neo (my current streamer)? Was looking for a streamer-only solution without a DAC or other ancillary equipment. Any other high end suggestions?

I preferred Rosanne by a small margin but attribute this mainly to the use of Diretta, which is not supported by SOtM. However I heard through the grapevines that they are planning to add it in future.

DI20HE vs Mutec MC3+? I am trying to decide between the two. Leaning heavily toward the hefty DI20HE.

In my opinion you are leaning the right way :-) The Mutec MC3+ is a very good tool but the DI20HE works its special magic.

Amazing gear! Thanks.

The Rosanna has been replaced by its successor, the Diretta Network Bridge. And the Gustard by a Teac UD-701N (next to to an Audio-GD R8HE Mk2)

audio system

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 8:21 AM, Clockmeister said:

So far you are all getting bogged down with which is best (lol), now so far none of the cables being shown or testes are a good (imho) as some RG179 and matching crimped 75 connectors

https://uk.farnell.com/huber-suhner/23019104/coax-cable-wire-2-54mm-75-ohm/dp/3498647?st=75 ohm cables

From looking at the chaps posting on here with the equipment in the signature they are a couple with top quality sounding clock cables I have listened to, most of you will not wish to go to that level. However using something similar to above which will cost around between £75 and £125 will sound damn good for your applications more so than most up to £600 mark imho.

@Clockmeister, can you recommend a 50Ω version of this cable? Thank you for your thoughtful posts.

Greetings my Nordic mythillogical appreciator,

May I suggest this would be a more suitable cable for your device and available your side of the pond

https://fieldcomponents.com/t-flex-405-cable-assemblies.html

Reality is somewhat stranger than fiction with audio, beware those bearing audio gifts, all that glitters is usually poor sounding equipment contained within over engineered and nice looking cases with an equally impressive price tag to match.

Areospace & Audio designs with a retail outlet Musical Coherence

On 6/19/2023 at 11:27 PM, ZeusOdin said:

Do you disagree with the principles behind the ER or did you implement tech that obviates the ER?

My Nordic / Greek deity fan

As I do not using streaming as a main music delivery source The state of my internal network is not an issue for SQ.

I have many friends and clients who are way more analy retetive than I, some of them have happily spent in excess of $24K on the IP inforstructure BEFORE it is attached to the streaming / head unit.

I am not doubting the benefits of many of these types of equipment and the SQ improvements they can bring, my point is this you are at the mercey or your IP network construction, then you have that connetion form the road <> house plus the internal noise from the network it self, the issue connected with it.

One chap has a PS audio 20 mains regenny into eqitech BP unit into a conditioned distribution device that just feed quad series ether regen's with significantly ultra quiet power supplies around 4uV at max current draw slaved to a enhanced Mutec Ref10 SE-120 with significantly decent cables all in to a Aureneder all fully isotated and down stream of the streamer / Dac.

Yes it does sound rather good no question, however I can takle my N20 around and use the internal files and it sound sound more organic/natural and articulate. Granted the two drives carts can only hold around 60K amount of albums., however that enough music to a last a wee while.

If I need more I have 20 or so other carts with various drives and music selections available. The main deciated specially built server now tips in at just over 1PB.

Reality is somewhat stranger than fiction with audio, beware those bearing audio gifts, all that glitters is usually poor sounding equipment contained within over engineered and nice looking cases with an equally impressive price tag to match.

11 hours ago, Clockmeister said:

As I do not using streaming as a main music delivery source The state of my internal network is not an issue for SQ.

If your system is connected to a network, the network can have an influence on sound quality, even if you don’t stream.  See my above post.  I mostly play music off the internal drive of an Antipodes K50.  The ER helps even with local playback.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

12 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

If your system is connected to a network, the network can have an influence on sound quality, even if you don’t stream.  See my above post.  I mostly play music off the internal drive of an Antipodes K50.  The ER helps even with local playback.  

Again I'm intrigued with this suggestion Kenny?

Can you offer any reason why you feel this would so?

I possibly could see this if you were using a normal internal network that feeds all of the house devices/ family wifi etc.

From a single use dedicated 5G mobile (cell) router ( internally reworked & using an ultra low noise lps) that just feeds the the N20 or what ever streamer is being used that day and nothing else via a single  quality ethernet cable when this is purelt being used for control only.

IF this is the case, then if could a deisgn in thr streaer issue (I do have a K50 I took in p/x a month or so back) in which case I could look atb the RF ingress while this happening?

Just the internal circuit board layout or the ethernet control fpga (micro processor) is used for some other control metric?

Genuinely intrested in you thoughts here Kenny

CM

18 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

+1 I am convinced that everything has an influence, power, LPS, cables etc on your internet installation

58 minutes ago, Johnnydev said:

+1 I am convinced that everything has an influence, power, LPS, cables etc on your internet installation

I agree. The SMPS my internet provider supplied with their modem was negatively affecting the sound of my main audio system, even though it was not directly in the chain from the NAS source. Both modem and NAS were connected to the same Furman power conditioner, which has EMI/RFI protection. I upgraded the modem PSU and heard a cleaner sound in the audio system, 15 meters from the network gear.

A friend said he heard an improvement by adding a Melco network switch, even though he was playing files from his K50 and the network was only used for control with his phone.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

This one popped up in a daily AliExpress promo email I just received:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804282600991.html?ug_edm_item_id=3256804282600991&pdp_npi=3%40dis!USD!%249.98!%245.59!!!!!%40214125b316884871709097257d74b6!12000033976075945!edm!!&edm_click_module=alg_product_1_8235702680&creative_img_ind=1&edm_log_data=edm-item-list-one-column.store-product-log-link&tracelog=rowan&rowan_id1=aeug_edm_23867_1_en_US_2023-07-04&rowan_msg_id=cresCOWS_23867_%244fd28b391cbb476ba2fde93e53e3a95d&ck=in_edm_other&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Wow, $5.98 for a complete board with OCXO—though the page says $10 with a 90% discount, bringing it to just $0.98!

Should I ask for an individual phase-noise plot? O.o

This might work well in the sound system I was going to build for the $600 electric sports car that is also on AliExpress. x-D

C14776F4-7EA1-4D3B-B162-8A2047E10491.webp.70162d3ed02247a54890a2cce9d18e66.webp

On 7/3/2023 at 3:52 AM, Clockmeister said:

Greetings my Nordic mythillogical appreciator,

May I suggest this would be a more suitable cable for your device and available your side of the pond

https://fieldcomponents.com/t-flex-405-cable-assemblies.html

I run the gamut from mythlogical to mythillogical. It makes listening to music quite heaven-like (either Valhalla or Olympus is fine). Call it a childhood with an obsession with Greek and Norse mythologies.

Obviously, I purchased the 405s. Thanks for the copious amounts of empirical observations. Invaluable in settings such as these. 

1 hour ago, ClothEars said:

Through another thread I was prompted to detach the ethernet cable whilst a playlist was running and I got the shock of my life.  The sound was substantially improved in every regard.  This was a very unsettling discovery as it meant that even though the network connection was not in the file signal path it was certainly affecting the quality of the sound.  Oh, how I wish this was not the case.

Good for you that you took up the challenge and tried this yourself.  While it can be unsettling for sure, it can also serve as a tool to let one know how well they are progressing at minimizing the harm.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

19 hours ago, ClothEars said:

Through another thread I was prompted to detach the ethernet cable whilst a playlist was running and I got the shock of my life.

What brand of cable do you use? Perhaps this is a shielded cable and the shield is connected to the connector housing at both ends of the cable, and this is wrong. The shield should connect to the connector housing from only one end of the cable, because noise from the local network can be transmitted through the screen.

3 hours ago, Mihaylov said:

What brand of cable do you use? Perhaps this is a shielded cable and the shield is connected to the connector housing at both ends of the cable, and this is wrong. The shield should connect to the connector housing from only one end of the cable, because noise from the local network can be transmitted through the screen.

I now use a Curious Cable Ethernet for the final connection to the network. There is no shield connected to the connector housing.  Once I heard the system without the network connected I had a reference sound that I set about trying to get as close to as possible but still connected to the network.  As @Dandou has pointed out, without the network connection you cannot control the MPD playback which is impractical for a listening session.  So down the rabbit hole I went and this is my network signal path now, which gets me to about 90% of my reference sound (ie. no network connection).

Frtizbox 7490 modem/router (with linear power supply) -> Cat6 ethernet cable -> Netgear GS105E switch (with linear power supply) -> Curious Ethernet Cable -> SOtm SMS-200 Ultra Neo (with SOtM sCLK OCX10 clock) and USB attached 4Tb HDD library.

To try and get that last 10% I'm waiting to see the new EtherRegen offering and hopefully I'll be able to use the SOtM clock with it.