IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

On 7/8/2023 at 5:10 AM, Jakenz said:

To acknowledge the thread topic I'm not yet an EtherRegen owner... Waiting for the ER 2 release, but would suggest ER owners might wish to try fo.Q damping on their ERs given how potent an effect it has on my LHY switch.

I'm a big fan of fo.q both the thick and thin stuff which you can wrap around cables an uneven surfaces. I also employ lots of black ravioli pads, bases and footers on my whole system. Very noticeable improvement in bass and soundstage.

My ER is on Black Ravioli Pads with a heatsink on top and a granite coaster on that, topped with a Schramm weight.

It's not moving anywhere.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu Deluxe streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. Uptone JS-2 PSUs x 2.  PS Audio P3 & P12 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there! 

I just registered on the forum but I have been reading it since the fall of 2020 when I got my EtherRegen. 

Thanks to all of you who are contributing here. It is both interesting and informative. 

I have the BG7TBL clock and it has had quite an impressive effect on my setup (Naim ND555). I have been pondering a Mutec Ref10 for a while and will probably get the nano version now coming out. And down the line the ER-2. So my idea is to try to cascade my first ER with the ER-2. 

So my question: Will it make sense (technically) to use the Mutec nano clock on both EtherRegens? 

Or would it make more sense to use the BG7TBL clock on ER-1 and the Mutec on ER-2? 

The Clock and ER are each powered by a Farad Super 3. 

Unless you know the Mutec outputs are isolated, you don't want to short the two ER moats together with a common clock. Equally, don't use a common LPSU.

I use two grades of AfterDark clock, a King for the ER and an Emperor Triple Crown for the DDC/DAC. Use the best clock closest to the DAC.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu Deluxe streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. Uptone JS-2 PSUs x 2.  PS Audio P3 & P12 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

6 hours ago, MartinT said:

Unless you know the Mutec outputs are isolated, you don't want to short the two ER moats together with a common clock. Equally, don't use a common LPSU.

@Kobolt_Cortado

In case you don't quite understand the 'short', using the same clock provides an alternative route for noise to bypass the isolation (transformers, moats, etc), depending on how your gear is arranged.

For example, given the clock conne tion is on Side B, noise could travel ER 1 Side B > clock > ER 2 Side B.

If you use the same power supply for the clock and ER  It could be ER 1 Side A > PSU > clock > ER 2 Side B.

Well, that is my understanding.

Thanks for your replies!

It says the following on the Mutec website:

Galvanic isolation of the independently switchable BNC clock outputs for optimum interference immunity

According to the Norwegian distributor Mutec has received quite a lot of preorders. Hopefully someone will report their experiences on this forum in a little while. 

I would agree and I use two of them in the electroncs lab to slave my analysers including a UXA signal analyser as well in the audio systems which it delivers vary natural and articuate music.

Would also suggest the the Cyber Shaft & Abendrot Audio are also very good

Reality is somewhat stranger than fiction with audio, beware those bearing audio gifts, all that glitters is usually poor sounding equipment contained within over engineered and nice looking cases with an equally impressive price tag to match.

Areospace & Audio designs with a retail outlet Musical Coherence

I am looking at the Mutec Nano also after seeing what a nice bump I got from the LHY OCK 2 paired with a EtherRegen and a Bricasti M3. 
Any USA dealers/distributors that I may want to contact? 

thanks in advance

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

@JohnSwenson I have a question regarding the use of the unbuffered 75ohm output (OCXO output direct to BNC) of a BG7TBL connected in daisy chain to the unterminated input of a DDC through a T-BNC and then to the terminated 75ohm input of the EtherRegen. Is this possible with perfect performance? (I mean, without the clock signal suffering any loss or degradation)

Thanks!!

5 hours ago, realfx said:

@JohnSwenson I have a question regarding the use of the unbuffered 75ohm output (OCXO output direct to BNC) of a BG7TBL connected in daisy chain to the unterminated input of a DDC through a T-BNC and then to the terminated 75ohm input of the EtherRegen. Is this possible with perfect performance? (I mean, without the clock signal suffering any loss or degradation)

Thanks!!

This is called "bus architecture" and CAN work if everything has exactly the right impedance. If the impedances are not right you can get some nasty reflections that can mess things up. If the output is a sine wave you have a fairly decent of it working, if it is a square wave the probability of it working very well is low. Primarily because the BG7TBL clocks very rarely have the actual impedance they are supposed to have. I don't have yours and I haven't measured it, but the one I have is nowhere near the impedance it says on the case.  

John S.

52 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

This is called "bus architecture" and CAN work if everything has exactly the right impedance. If the impedances are not right you can get some nasty reflections that can mess things up. If the output is a sine wave you have a fairly decent of it working, if it is a square wave the probability of it working very well is low. Primarily because the BG7TBL clocks very rarely have the actual impedance they are supposed to have. I don't have yours and I haven't measured it, but the one I have is nowhere near the impedance it says on the case.  

John S.

Thanks!!

Let me ask you a last question. Assuming the clock has really a 75ohm impedance output (I’m planning to upgrade the clock to an Afterdark Clock that I think are higher quality than BG7TBL clocks), would it be possible to use one mini-circuits filter in the unterminated DDC input (being the filter in the DDC plugged directly in the DDC’s input BNC and then the T-BNC plugged to the filter) and another filter in the terminated 75ohm EtherRegen input?

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, realfx said:

Thanks!!

Let me ask you a last question. Assuming the clock has really a 75ohm impedance output (I’m planning to upgrade the clock to an Afterdark Clock that I think are higher quality than BG7TBL clocks), would it be possible to use one mini-circuits filter in the unterminated DDC input (being the filter in the DDC plugged directly in the DDC’s input BNC and then the T-BNC plugged to the filter) and another filter in the terminated 75ohm EtherRegen input?

Thanks again!

Nope that won't work, the filters are designed to work into a specific impedance, feeding one into a very high impedance will not do what you want.

John S.

I am trying to find out if a Mutec reference se120 clock used as a  master and reference for a 22/24 or 45/49 mhz pair internal clocks (likewise for a 25mhz clock).

How much will it matter to use the best/lowest phase noise pair internal clocks in this instance.

Which would be a a priority for upgrade for best results or of more importance.

13 hours ago, justubes said:

I am trying to find out if a Mutec reference se120 clock used as a  master and reference for a 22/24 or 45/49 mhz pair internal clocks (likewise for a 25mhz clock).

How much will it matter to use the best/lowest phase noise pair internal clocks in this instance.

Which would be a a priority for upgrade for best results or of more importance.

Does the equipment have a clock synthesizer? You need some form of clock synthesizer to get those frequencies from the Mutec. If the device that uses those clocks has built in frequency synthesizers it depends on what the internal clock is and how good the synthesizers are. If the device does not have a synthesizer inside then you need an external one. These can vary all over the place. If you have good synthesizers then a Mutec driving them will probably be better than what you will commonly have inside the device. Without some model numbers there is no way to make any attempt at answering this question. If the driven device does not have clock synthesizers that can run from an eternal reference, then what synthesizers are you looking at?

For example the ER includes a clock synthesizer that generates the required frequencies from an external clock, it's built in so an external synthesizer is not required.

John S.

Hi John,

Thanks for your questions.

I believe some dacs  have external 10m inputs to help or prove the performancenof the clock inbuilt, dual frequency pairs of say 22/24mhz or 45/49mhz to cover these frequencies for digital sample rates. 

Would these also have a sythesizer, in which if externally clocked would not need a sythesizer since there are a pair of clocks and would tjen not require a synthesizer because there are the 2 audio clocks already.

Or will it make these internal 22/24 or 45/49 clocks redundant?

This would be an FDN frequency dividing network.  As John has pointed out. However every time you use one of these to change / split the frequency you will incur noise and artefacts you really do not wish to have imho, some of these can be mitigated however not all.

Many of the chifi dac's use a 100Mhz master clock generator (some synthesised) which is then broken down (internally via FDN etc) to the required sample frequency for the incoming audio serial data rates.

The Mutec ref10-SE-120 uses a single frequency 10Mhz OXCO clock (Not Axtal) to generate its ultra-pure low phase noise reference 10Mhz signal. I recently designed an FDN/Synthetisers one for a Merging dac which uses 625Khz Master clock input frequency.

If you are referring to the individual sample rates such as 44.1-768Khz such as dcs et al, then usually the SE-120 or similar is used to slave the companies proprietary word clock device.

I did some serial data measurements not so long ago on the SE-120 see below. I know Leo Bodnar is in the process of purchasing either a R&S FSWP or Keysight UXA for ultra precise phase noise measurements. I have something a wee bit special coming for this every purpose towards December that will sort the wheat from the chaff as far as genuine clock measurements go.

John, I know has a phase station which is very fine tool for this also and he is well versed in PN measurements no question.

SG120b2.jpg

SG120b3.jpg

SE-120 wavepro jitter kit--00000.jpg

SE-120 wavepro resjit histogram-00003--00000.jpg

SE-120 wavepro SDA full0002--00000.jpg

SE-120 wavepro wfa--00000.jpg

Reality is somewhat stranger than fiction with audio, beware those bearing audio gifts, all that glitters is usually poor sounding equipment contained within over engineered and nice looking cases with an equally impressive price tag to match.

Areospace & Audio designs with a retail outlet Musical Coherence

Thanks Clockmeister, takes a fair bit to digest.

"you are referring to the individual sample rates such as 44.1-768Khz such as dcs et al, then usually the SE-120 or similar is used to slave the companies proprietary word clock device"

I was wondering as opposed to a DDS Synthesized  frequencies.

If the master 10M's phase noise was 120db.

The proprietary wordclock 100db. 

How would one rate in order of overall importance /phase noise if

A)10M clock at 120db  slaving a word clock of 100db phase noise

B)10M clock at 115db slaving  a word clock of 105db

How would these compare.

In short, which clock would be of greater significance ?

10M or proprietary word clock in your experience?

Thanks for your comprehensive insight.