IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

13 minutes ago, FredM said:

Spoiler alert

The first comparison with MU1 & Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC is in: MU2 wins. Elsewhere a Rossini is sold

spoil me completely, please.  Who has written that the MU2 wins?  

Of course, I want to make this comparison myself (especially given my use of Mola Mola amps which might influence my own conclusion).  Since I'm addicted to simplification, reducing the number of boxes is attractive.   But it would also mean that the possibility of the LS1 speakers in the future would be eliminated.   The MU2 makes sense if I want to keep (or upgrade) my passive speakers.  

Grimm Audio MU2 > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

59 minutes ago, Vincent des Champs said:

Stromtank 💪🏻 other ‘power enhancers’ all have downsides..

Stromtank has downsides as well:

It is AC > DC > AC then in the device downstream the Stromtank AC > DC, too much conversions.

Much better than Stromtank is the upcoming Taiko BPS. Even the price might be competitive as Stromtank is expensive.

If someone is interested I would recommend to do search on WBF about Stromtank. I would never buy one.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

13 hours ago, Vincent des Champs said:

Good ol’ Matthias always having his opinion without even having first hand experience…  enjoy your Taiko 40k+ BPS 👋 

Usually "argumentum ad hominem" like this one is not allowed on forums.

If this is different here then @The Computer Audiophile can comment on this.

After reading the comments of very experienced Stromtank users on different forums it is impossible to claim that it is the only one solution that works/improves on all aspects.

Matt

7 minutes ago, Vincent des Champs said:

Please allow me to clarify: in my experience the Stromtank does have no downsides regarding SQ.

OK, no problem this sounds much better.

The great advantage of forums is that you get a broad spectrum of opinions. And like a puzzle at the end there might be a certain picture.

So it is not only about your or my opinion.

Matt

Let’s stay on topic: the MUx are wonderful products that make us Dutchies proud! However, I moved on to a different streamer and so from my personal experiences no input here anylonger ☺️

[SOURCE] Ideon Absolute Stream -> Ideon Absolute Time -> [DAC] APL Hifi DSD-MR SE -> [AMP] Dan d’Agostino Progression INT -> [LS] EgglestoneWorks Savoy SE (supported by Stealth Audio cabling, Ansuz network, Stromtank power)

When the MU1 was first available, there were many reviews using the Mola Mola Tambaqui, probably because of availability (two Dutch brands) and exceptional quality/execution of design.  Perhaps there will also be many reviews that compare the MU2 with this synergistic combination.  I look forward to those while the supply of MU2 ramps up and makes an in-home demo possible.  

Innovation is always good.  Moving the art of design forward is always good.   Competition based upon ideas is always good.  The Tambaqui is also software driven.  Might there room for improvement? 

Grimm Audio MU2 > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

4 hours ago, Ronnie112 said:

I do agree with his conclusion, the MU2 seems to be a clear bargain

And for simplicity reasons, the cost for things like cables, platform and footers weren't even included in the comparison.

Loved his smile at the end 🙂

11 hours ago, matthias said:

OK, no problem this sounds much better.

The great advantage of forums is that you get a broad spectrum of opinions. And like a puzzle at the end there might be a certain picture.

So it is not only about your or my opinion.

Matt

The problem is that your contributions are often unfounded. How can you say that product X, which is not even on the market yet (if it ever will), is better than product Y? Do you have shares in Taiko or otherwise affiliated?

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

Hmmn, well the Mu2 is obviously going down well and it will be great to hear it. Ultimately for me the MU1 (into an ARC6 Dave) lost out probably mainly due to what Roon was doing to the sound. 

The big question for me will be whether Roon also drags down the sound of the MU2. 

I will look out for the Mu2 arriving at my dealer so I can have a listen. 

Owner Wave High Fidelity digital cables :

Antipodes Oladra (WAVE Storm BNC spdif RF noise filtering cable to Mscaler)

Dave (with Sean Jacobs ARC6 and SJ Cap Board) + WAVE Storm dual BNC RF noise filtering cables

ATC150 active speakers.

1 hour ago, Fourlegs said:

The big question for me will be whether Roon also drags down the sound of the MU2. 

Since the MU2 uses the exactly same digital frontend as the MU1, the degredation in SQ will be equal I suppose.. I never really did in depth research about the influence of Roon on SQ.. but with my new streamer offering Roon endpoint functionality and an internal (MPD based) web player, I did: the differences are real and not subtle at all (at least the character of the sound is altered: Roon sounds rounded and woolly/ less precise, MPD is far more dynamic and expressive indicating the noise floor is lower). Of course Grimm Audio pulls fancy FPGA tricks to minimize the difference/ influence but (as Christiaan Punter suggested in his reviews on HFA) the working of those tricks differ from one Roon version to another.

With the upcoming MUx SW update offering different streaming protocols I realize maybe I have let go my MU1 streamer a little too soon…  MU2 will enter the building here someday for a fair comparison 👌

[SOURCE] Ideon Absolute Stream -> Ideon Absolute Time -> [DAC] APL Hifi DSD-MR SE -> [AMP] Dan d’Agostino Progression INT -> [LS] EgglestoneWorks Savoy SE (supported by Stealth Audio cabling, Ansuz network, Stromtank power)

19 minutes ago, Vincent des Champs said:

Since the MU2 uses the exactly same digital frontend as the MU1, the degredation in SQ will be equal I suppose.. I never really did in depth research about the influence of Roon on SQ.. but with my new streamer offering Roon endpoint functionality and an internal (MPD based) web player, I did: the differences are real and not subtle at all. Of course Grimm Audio pulls fancy FPGA tricks to minimize the difference/ influence but (as Christiaan Punter suggested in his reviews on HFA) the working of those tricks differ from one Roon version to another.

With the upcoming MUx SW update offering different streaming protocols I realize maybe I have let go my MU1 streamer a little too soon…  MU2 will enter the building here someday for a fair comparison 👌

Yes it will be interesting to see what software protocols are enabled by the impending firmware update to the MU devices. From my own experience LMS + Squeezelite is much better sounding than an MPD based player and streets ahead of Roon.

Owner Wave High Fidelity digital cables :

Antipodes Oladra (WAVE Storm BNC spdif RF noise filtering cable to Mscaler)

Dave (with Sean Jacobs ARC6 and SJ Cap Board) + WAVE Storm dual BNC RF noise filtering cables

ATC150 active speakers.