IGNORED

RAAL-requisite SR1a Has Landed

12 hours ago, davide256 said:

Seems one reviewer liked these with the inexpensive Schiit VIdar. Kind of crazy that these need such high wattage, rules out the LTA products for amplification.

And they really do need the wattage recommended. I've ready every review and commentary on these, and its 150-200wpc solid state and 100wpc tube. A couple reviewers have been able to listen to quieter music, at quieter levels with a bit less, but no one wants those limitations. One reviewer tried them with the otherwise excellent Audio Research  Reference 75 tube amp, which produces a very solid 75wpc, and stated that it was clear the RAAL's were still a bit underpowered! 

JC

5 minutes ago, PeterG said:

A much happier read than State of the Union!  I have been looking at these for a few weeks, and Danny at Requisite has assured me that the MC275 will do well with them.  You might drop him a line to ask why the blown tube/fuse. 

Also, one of the amazing things about your impressions here is that your alternative is not some sort of mid range compromise set up--it's your Wilsons.  To read that you're excited to ignore such magnificent speakers has me on the edge of my seat.

Rock on!

I’ve been communicating with Alex from RAAL-requisite today via email. Very nice guy who has offered to provide whatever information I need to help the review process. 

The new tubes are on the way. Luscious listening impressions also on the way. 

Yes, my main system is the best I’ve ever had. I’d put it up against almost anything, based on the sound I’m getting now. That said, I’ve been on the SR1a headphones almost exclusively since I got them. So great!

8A79A217-1E73-4C8A-9688-A397965D70D8.jpeg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

6 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Well, after reading the incredible reviews and your ongoing commentary, Chris, including  sleepless, and sometimes foodless  nights since you got them,  I took the leap and ordered a pair of the SR1a's earlier today. Can't wait to hear them. 

While I do have a high quality integrated amp available for use, at least temporarily, what really pains me is something else. I 

have available what might be one of the absolute best possible power amps to match with the RAAL's, a Conrad Johnson

limited edition ART sa tubed power amp (140wpc). This was their specialty flagship prior to the more recent release of the ART 150's. 

And, in some ways (warmth in the midrange and a lovely dose of overall tube magic, without stinting on bass control ) it betters the 150. 

The really sad part is that I do not have a preamplifier currently available to use with it so I can hear what magic the ART might make with the SR7a's. :(

JC

Awesome!!!!!!

What DAC are you going to use? Can you try volume control in the DAC or a playback app? 

Cant wait to hear about your experience!!!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Awesome!!!!!!

What DAC are you going to use? Can you try volume control in the DAC or a playback app? 

Cant wait to hear about your experience!!!

The DAC in my office/den system, where I will be listening to the RAAL's,  is the Modwright Elyse (no volume control). The source is a Sonore UltraRendu., so, again, no way to control volume that I can think of. I made an attempt to borrow a very good preamp that a reasonably nearby audiophile friend had, which he wasn't using, but he literally just sold it on Wednesday of this week. :(

JC 

6 hours ago, TubeLover said:

The DAC in my office/den system, where I will be listening to the RAAL's,  is the Modwright Elyse (no volume control). The source is a Sonore UltraRendu., so, again, no way to control volume that I can think of. I made an attempt to borrow a very good preamp that a reasonably nearby audiophile friend had, which he wasn't using, but he literally just sold it on Wednesday of this week. :(

JC 

What playback app are you using, Roon, JRiver? They have great 64 bit volume control. 

18 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Definitely worth a shot. Can’t wait to read how it goes. That amp should be amazing. 

I can hardly wait either. Quick question, does bypassing having a preamp, and using the Roon volume alone cause any sound degradation or limitations? If this does not represent any limitations, as I am only using the single device (my DAC, with source information coming from my UltraRendu), adding a good preamp to the mix, would, at least theoretically, be a waste of money.

JC 

2 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

I can hardly wait either. Quick question, does bypassing having a preamp, and using the Roon volume alone cause any sound degradation or limitations? If this does not represent any limitations, as I am only using the single device (my DAC, with source information coming from my UltraRendu), adding a good preamp to the mix, would, at least theoretically, be a waste of money.

JC 

There’s no simple answer to this one. Roon’s volume control is great but so can preamps (be great). I always try without a pre first. 

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The Audio Research amp is in place and boy is it luscious or should I say lush-ious :~)

IMG_1563_VT80SE.jpg

wow that look awesome. I wish I could have listen. 
Are you going to pair sr1 also with the schitt JOTUNHEIM R?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Sweet! I hope the tubes aren't making your Rossini sound like Rosh-ini!

Just kidding - I love A-R gear.

Have you tried the Raal’s yet? Love to hear what you think.

48 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The Audio Research amp is in place and boy is it luscious or should I say lush-ious :~)

IMG_1563_VT80SE.jpg

Also wondering if all that ribbon speed spoils listening to speakers? 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2