IGNORED

RAAL-requisite SR1a Has Landed

1 minute ago, Energy said:

I heard from reviews that some find the RAAL SR1a's a little bright. To me it feels like many ribbons and electrostatics do not punch as hard dynamic headphones or even planar's like Abyss, Audeze, or HiFiMAN and emphasizes the high frequencies. Is this true? I do know the new HEDDphone is more balanced but still has somewhat of a fixture on treble qualities that I don't find to be good sounding.

These headphones are so dynamic it's crazy.  On tracks with large dynamic range one has to adjust the volume up/down because it can get loud. Such is life with the very few recordings that have ultimate dynamic range. I can certainly see how people feel these are a touch hot in the top end, but I don't think it's an issue with the SR1a rather it's an issue with other headphones that aren't as linear in the higher frequencies. 

Bass is definitely there on the SR1a, all the way down to ~30Hz and it's accurate as heck all the way down. Because it isn't a closed design there is no pressure to build up and bass may seem a touch lighter than other headphones. I'll take this accuracy every day over something more boomy.

Much more to come in my full review. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks for giving me motivation to give them a try.

My headphone amplifier can only operate in Class-A to a certain degree, enough for all headphones including K1000.

Unfortunately at 50W into 8 ohms it changes to Class-AB operation.

I notice these SR1a's are 6 ohms with a power rating of 100W. If these are recommended 50W per channel, then it seems I have to use my 50W Class-A monoblock that's being using for the loudspeakers in living room just to power these.

It's going to be awkward having a headphone cable come from each monoblock but hey, it's audiophile right? 🙄

٩(●̮̃•)۶ Carbon (NET)  EtherRegen (NET)  Carbyne (USB)  Terminator-Plus (XLR)  β22 (XLR)  Diana TC (ง'-')ง

=  ︿  = 
21 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The MC275 just isn’t very refined when driving the SR1a. It runs out of gas and has too much color for me. 

The VT80SE is not analytical at all compared to solid state designs, but I suppose it could be considered analytical compared to the MC275. I wouldn’t classify it as such, but I can see how one would. The VT80SE is so far a wonderful match for the SR1a. I need to really push it to determine if I can find its limit, but I’ll do that in the coming days. 

Thanks for the perspective, Chris. Much appreciated. I was tending, after your first comments, to think the MC275 might be a good match, from the perspective I have, but both not being very refined, and also running out of gas definitely is not a way to go with the RAAL's. Thanks very much,  this helped me clarify some things. 

JC

9 hours ago, PeterG said:

That's it--THIS PSYCHIC ABUSE MUST END!!!

Pulled the trigger a few minutes ago.  Though with only an MC275, I will have to settle for "magical" instead of "stunning", haha.  I'll report back after some listening.  For others on the fence or in search of a demo, there is a 14-day risk-free return policy.

Thanks, Chris!

Public Service Announcement. It is not at all well known, or even clearly identified by RAAL, but be careful with the risk free return policy. It ONLY applies to those who purchase directly from RAAL, not any of their authorized dealers. I originally went to the RAAL site, playing nice, and looked at their authorized dealers and purchased mine from one of them. I later found out the above info. I complained that RAAL had nothing I could find on their website even indicating that they sold the SR1a, much less mentioning the limited conditions of the money back guarantee. The dealer talked to RAAL, and they compromised by giving me a 7 day home trial, but even that isn't exactly ideal. The dealer I purchased from is in California and I'm in Michigan. Thats normally 4 day shipping for FedEx or Brown (occasionally stretching to 5, of late). So, from the point I receive the RAAL's, to be safe, I essentially have exactly two days to listen to them before packing them up and shipping them back if I choose to get the refund. 

I'm not saying that I expect to return them, I don't. Only pointing out the situation so you are all aware of how you must purchase them to get the 14 day risk free trial. I almost lost the option completely.

JC

9 hours ago, Energy said:

Thanks for giving me motivation to give them a try.

My headphone amplifier can only operate in Class-A to a certain degree, enough for all headphones including K1000.

Unfortunately at 50W into 8 ohms it changes to Class-AB operation.

I notice these SR1a's are 6 ohms with a power rating of 100W. If these are recommended 50W per channel, then it seems I have to use my 50W Class-A monoblock that's being using for the loudspeakers in living room just to power these.

It's going to be awkward having a headphone cable come from each monoblock but hey, it's audiophile right? 🙄

I think you're in serious trouble powering the SR1a's with 50wpc. 150wpc solid state, and 100wpc tubedis what is recommended . I have read every available review, and even talked to two of the reviewers who got early SR1a's for review. I've not seen any reviewer that was able to power them with much less successfully (without running out of gas for anything but string quartets). One reviewer found that the otherwise excellent ARC Reference 75 tube amp (with 75wpc) couldn't cut it, and you may have noted earlier that Chris himself said the famous McIntosh MC275 tube amp which offers 75 wpc into 4,8 or 16 ohms ran out of gas. A number of 100wpc solid state designs have also worked disappointingly with the RAAL's. Be advised, they NEED power to perform optimally. Unfortunately, 50 wpc just isn't in the cards, I strongly suspect. 

JC

4 hours ago, TubeLover said:

I think you're in serious trouble powering the SR1a's with 50wpc. 150wpc solid state, and 100wpc tubedis what is recommended . I have read every available review, and even talked to two of the reviewers who got early SR1a's for review. I've not seen any reviewer that was able to power them with much less successfully (without running out of gas for anything but string quartets). One reviewer found that the otherwise excellent ARC Reference 75 tube amp (with 75wpc) couldn't cut it, and you may have noted earlier that Chris himself said the famous McIntosh MC275 tube amp which offers 75 wpc into 4,8 or 16 ohms ran out of gas. A number of 100wpc solid state designs have also worked disappointingly with the RAAL's. Be advised, they NEED power to perform optimally. Unfortunately, 50 wpc just isn't in the cards, I strongly suspect. 

JC

@The Computer Audiophile, sounds like you have to hook your Constellation Audio Inspiration Mono Amps.  If true what was quoted above, class D amps may be needed to provide that massive power and maintain a small footprint for headphone listening.  If not, I've got an Emotiva XPA-2 350 watt stereo amp in a box somewhere you can use.  Very affordable but not ergonomically friendly for headphones, would be funny though to have a 100 pound amp taking up over half your desk space for headphone listening. 

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Watts are a funny beast. The MC275 doesn’t cut it for me but the ARC VT80 SE has been fabulous.

So far I don’t have a hard and fast rule about wattage with these headphones. People will have to listen to the SR1a with the music of their choice at volume levels they like, in order to reach a conclusion that’s right for them. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

14 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Chris, given how much you enjoyed the VT80SE with the RAALs, this would seem to be what you need to try next. And look at the deal on them! This would almost certainly be one of the most imposing and impressive headphone/ear monitor system setups in the entire world! :)

JC

https://www.paragonsns.com/product/audio-research-ref750/

Amazing amps! That’s an incredible price as well. I have a new found respect for ARC amps since I’ve been listening to the VT80SE through the SR1a headphones. These headphones enable one to hear absolutely everything. 

Would love to hear your CJ amp on these!

10 minutes ago, Summit said:

Well, maybe you didn’t get my point…

1: CC wrote “Fired up the MC275 and immediately blew a tube & fuse”.

2. @PeterG asked CC “Do you know why you blew tube/fuse?”

3. To which CC answer was “Nothing to do with the headphones / interface box. The tubes were from 2009 and were getting long in the tooth.”

4. I wanted to inform that tubes don’t blow because they are old. Or that tubes from 2009 is considered old.

5. Every hour tubes are being used is an hour closer to the end of their life. The end of audio tubes is not ending abrupt and is instead a study degradation of the sound and performance until they both sound and measure bad.

No, I understood you just fine. I just assumed the tube had been in use since then... How they stop working is up to each tube.

No electron left behind.