IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Rob you’re spot on - Yggdrasil is still the one I want, but it’s power supply really isn’t up to scratch, grey and course sound that otherwise ruins an excellent experience for me.  There was rumour of a twin box Yggy MK2 (like holo May) but not sure if that was anything other than rumour.

Nenons DC4 Dave will be the nuts, I heard four legs version and it’s amazing.

I could only imagine! The fuse + LIM boards both improved grayness a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if my stock fuse was installed incorrectly. There is nothing coarse about my Yggy at this point 😎. Have you heard LIM?

1 hour ago, gererick said:

Did the QSA fuses replace stock fuses?

1 hour ago, gererick said:

In this order:

1.  ULPS V3 - Replaced ordinary ceramic fuse

2. Rogue ST-100 amp - Replaced Acme Sylver Cryo fuse

3. Yggdrasil LIM dac - Replaced standard glass body fuse

In 2 of three cases, yes.

On 11/13/2021 at 9:08 AM, CJH said:

I have put together a high power desktop to play my music files (via USB direct to a Holo DAC)  with HQPlayer Desktop powered by a 850W be quiet ATX supply. I am going to see if I can get some sonic improvement switching to a HDPlex 800. Since HDPlex is out of stock (next year?) on their 400W AC-DC (2 needed) to power the HDPlex 800, I am going to first try powering it with either two Mean Well 450-Watt 24Vdc, one Mean Well 750-Watt 24Vdc, or an 800-Watt 24Vdc unregulated analog supply. Any thoughts or suggestions on this. Thanks.

CJH

I'd like to help but i'm not sure i'm following what you plan to try. Are you saying you plan to switch from an ordinary ATX PS to the HDPlex 800W DC-ATX fed by a pair of meanwell SMPS's? 

If so, I do not know how much of an improvement to expect. What I do know is I have a single HDPlex 400W AC-DC I can sell. Two are not needed. You can start with one and add another later on. This sounded pretty good early on in my DIY Music server journey.

As far as what performance improvement to expect, I would recommend not going with the HDPlex AC-DC or meanwell SMPSs and going straight to something like a Keces P8 to feed the HDPlex 800W DC-ATX. I'm not sure it will be able to keep up with your HQPlayer demands though. Perhaps @StreamFidelity can help there. You may need a pair to handle your build + HQPlayer filters.

Cheers,

-Rob

1 hour ago, MarcelNL said:

using single leads from each cap to one point for the negative leads 

I will have to try this! Interested in learning why you suggest single leads vs lowering resistance with multiple leads for the negative leads.

31 minutes ago, RDOK said:

They are Neotech OCC by the way.

Was just going to ask you if this was Neotech UP-OCC. 16AWG?

Planning a full re-wire for scientific reasons with Neotech...

17 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

I was not implying single leads are better than multiple! I probably expressed what i was trying to say unclear!

I was trying to point at using one single reference point (ground) by using return leads from the negatove of the rectifier and each negative of each cap to a common ground point and keep the lead between the positive of the rectifier and each choke to the positive side of the cap as short as possible. All of this rather than using the wires as sort of bus bars.

Understood, yea, that I do. Star ground.

4 minutes ago, Mags said:

After taking some measurement it appears that Hypex softstart board would fit. The only problem is that shipping from the Netherlands to the US is more than the cost of the module itself!

Is there a US source to get these modules??

Had to get my last one from SoundImports. Interested in a US source as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, TimF said:

Couple of questions for you. Background on my set up first…

I have an Intel Gigabyte Auros Pro Z690 motherboard. I am up sampling to DSD256 in Euphony Stylus via the HQplayer plug in and seeing very little heat. 

1) For BIOS settings I’ve disabled network, SATA and audio. Set memory to the increased speed it can do. Any other settings recommended? 

2) I have a high pitched noise intermittently being made near the processor / hard disk. Makes a noise several times a second. Any ideas? Sounds a bit like morse code. 

Thanks, Tim

2) Do you have any peripherals installed? Perhaps a keyboard or monitor? I’ve heard such sounds a very long time ago (dead silent now) with a keyboard plugged into the Ps/2 port. Also with monitor plugged in. I run headless now that I’ve got everything dialed in.

It has been a very long time since I entered the bios. But if there are features that adjust speed or adjust voltage I tend to disable those features in an effort to reduce the changing of “states”. I disable all power saving features, I try to lock in at one frequency for cpu. Disable unused onboard USB ports if you aren’t using them. 

Edit: Worth noting that I do not upsample so some of this philosophy may not apply to your circumstances.

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Dev said:

I share the same thoughts but sometimes new tech doesn't translate to good sound. I read somewhere that Taiko had evaluated many many motherboards (I think they even designed one ?) at the time and choose the Asus sage. Moreover, the server grade CPU/motherboard doesn't see that often refresh as the consumer grades does and especially with EP series.

So true, and this is why i'm struggling to plop down the funds. You may have just helped lift my mental block. I've been building PCs (and servers) for too long and have never purchased such expensive, older hardware. But, for the sake of SQ it may just be a requirement.

That being said, there have only been bits and pieces of how to deal with process lasso, Windows LTSC licensing, etc. The chassis is another topic as well but I am confident the new HDPlex may fit the bill here, with its newer cooling compatibility with the longer Xeon CPU we want to use.

So yeah, not a lot out there to work with at this point. As the picture becomes clearer it may be more worthwhile to move in the direction of the proven dual CPU build..

9 minutes ago, Dev said:

What do you mean HDplex may fit the bill ? You mean DIY the Sage inside the H5 case and plop the Taiko on the outside (as Nenon did) ?

Yes and this may work out well for some. For example, I do not think my iteration of V3 will fit in the new Taiko chassis. So I’d have two chassis either way.

" I am looking for the dual Xeon as a base platform and then go from there and without having the platform ready, its very difficult to experiment."

On the same page as you here.

30 minutes ago, Dev said:

I do not think I have posted about this before but a while back I added couple more heatpipes to the older H5 case and it lowered the temps by 8-10deg C. My temps hoovers in the high 30degs now with the CPU un-throttled to its full potential. I used to run couple of external USB fans before but I later found that it somehow deteriorated the sound. With the addition of the heatpipes, I no longer need the fans with the added advantage of the server sounding better.

IMG_9346.thumb.jpg.cf4087821541cd74435ea9b7b8973161.jpg

1415472013_ScreenShot2022-03-21at12_10_16PM.thumb.png.f0e9e2ab7af94f970873e68df1b97fee.png

First of all, awesome accomplishment. Second of all, our builds are freakishly similar. I use the same Nic, USB card and Revelation SSD AND M2. adapter. The motherboard is different though.

Can you link us to the pipes you ordered? Interested in emulating this.

Also,

Yeah having a 2nd chassis is ugly but i've gotten used to it it. I now have:

PH SR7T

SJ DC3

ALS-HPULN

SJ DC4

ULPS V3

Keces P3 

LPS 1.2

All in my rather small listening space (my living room). How I manage to pull this off is beyond me but is is far from optimal!