IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

I was able to find 9 holes on the MB for the stand offs and they match locations on the H5.

On a separate note, the CPU bottom plate supplied with the H5 kit doesn’t have a hole for the 1700 socket heat sink mounts. The hole would be some where between the 1365 and 115x hole. I asked Larry if it’s ok just to make that one long hole as a work around. I’m waiting on the response but I imagine it should be ok and really it’s my only course of action unless they start making new CPU bottom plates. 

AC673110-461B-4DE7-8EEB-79D9B9D32B07.jpeg

5 minutes ago, oneguy said:

I was able to find 9 holes on the MB for the stand offs and they match locations on the H5.

On a separate note, the CPU bottom plate supplied with the H5 kit doesn’t have a hole for the 1700 socket heat sink mounts. The hole would be some where between the 1365 and 115x hole. I asked Larry if it’s ok just to make that one long hole as a work around. I’m waiting on the response but I imagine it should be ok and really it’s my only course of action unless they start making new CPU bottom plates. 

AC673110-461B-4DE7-8EEB-79D9B9D32B07.jpeg

That sounds good.

I also don't think making that one a long slotted hole be an issue.

Hmm, that is not great...one for the external network, one I2S out and a graphics card....and the I2S card is quite thick.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

7 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Your list is not the same as the original list by @oneguy

See the original list here

sure, I was referring to my own build thinking about an eventual upgrade (where I need the AMD socket version anyway) ..and not likely before M5 is released

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

I’ll probably open up a can or worms asking this but here it goes: what’s you guy’s preferred thermal paste? I was looking at TFX and Kryonaut Extreme. 

5 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

sure, I was referring to my own build thinking about an eventual upgrade (where I need the AMD socket version anyway)

If I end up with just the two JCAT cards as add ons I’ll have just enough but yeah for your situation this wouldn’t fly. AMD socket version may have more PCIe slots though?

I looked at various comparisons and decided the 1 'C is not worth bothering TOO MUCH about, I'm currently using Noctua NT-H2 

Mahler 8th (Synfonie der Tausend) by Kubelik w Bayerischer Rundfunk Orchester right now, I've never heard this much separation between all of the voices and instruments other than live!

Now that a few? many? have completed the build is it time to discuss OS and music players?

I'm using Daphile after having compared mostly Linux based OS, and want to do a comparison in the current state of affairs....

W10

W10LTSC

Wserver, if so which?

settings?

What player?

Do we need a separate thread, if at all?

I dabbled with AL, HQPlayer, Euphony, Daphile, and early on in my quest with W7, later W8 and W10. I do not need or want over- or upsampling, DSD, DSP, filtering etc, just redbook WAV/FLAC.

I think I should do another round of comparisons once the server is good to go and has a a couple of 100hrs under its belt.

Guys ,small update regarding my nenon server,( jcat xe usb ,taiko atx,analogue soul ulps,etc ..).

The server is sounding nothing shirt of fabulous specially of a new discovery with euphony player.

There s a future on euphony ,when you press play button long,you have the ability to listen to your listed album or tracks without streaming from internet,basically it cuts the internet flow,the bad think is that you need to finish the full list without any control to stop skip or change.

I tried it,and yes it sounds better in every aspect,but i couldnt stand the fact that ,it disconnect completely for an hour or more ,depends the list.

Well,i just discovered something similar today,and it sounds as good if not better.

I had some issues today with internet in my home ,it is disconnected.

So i tried playing some music from my usb drive connected to the server.

In the begining it wasnt comnecting,showing albums,but insisting  for some time ,like 1 mn or 2,music started....

All the album was buffered into the memory card,and boy! Again top quality!

Bass seems clearer ,more articulate,deeper,mire dynamic,more seperation,clearer..etc..

Playback is not smooth,when you choose an album,wait for it... Then it will start play...

My internet implementation is top notch,edgerouterx-vodka aq- optical module- fiber- ER- SABLON eth - server ,all ulps powered,but appearently it s not enough!

Enjoy!

On 12/26/2021 at 5:39 AM, oneguy said:

Has anyone ever thought about putting a bead of thermal paste between the heatsink and lower plate of the H5 case? Wondering if it could prove useful to help spread more heat around. 

I use a thin layer between all thermal junctions - I don’t see a reason why anyone wouldn’t do this

20 hours ago, sakso136 said:

Guys ,small update regarding my nenon server,( jcat xe usb ,taiko atx,analogue soul ulps,etc ..).

The server is sounding nothing shirt of fabulous specially of a new discovery with euphony player.

There s a future on euphony ,when you press play button long,you have the ability to listen to your listed album or tracks without streaming from internet,basically it cuts the internet flow,the bad think is that you need to finish the full list without any control to stop skip or change.

you can press Power button of the server once to exit "disconnect mode"