IGNORED

Building an Unregulated Linear Power Supply

elan120

@Exocer, Yes, but not much during this holiday season.  Initial impression is very good, but I still need to make up the right cable as well as lots of burn-in to provide a better comparison between what I use now versus this one.  I do think, based on limited listening, this could end up be my long term reference.  I am planning to use this power supply for my next server build, it is still in parts gathering stage, and I hope to have it started around early Feb-2022.

@elan120, why did you opt for copper bars instead of wire?  Also, where did you get the copper?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

26 minutes ago, dminches said:

@elan120, why did you opt for copper bars instead of wire?  Also, where did you get the copper?

Copper bar in hobbyist lengths are from McMaster Carr. 

Copper is easier to connect on to large caps, rather than lugs and wires, makes for a neater install.

Although not necessary for low swinging current DC rails, to keep inductance low,  use Copper or tin sheets with insulation. This technique is used in VSD where there's a high rate of didt in the bus bars. Any amount of inductance makes a resonant circuit, but we are talking hundreds of Amps here .

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

11 hours ago, elan120 said:

In addition to what @One and a half mentioned, it also lowers the output resistance, which is part of the original design requirement.

Thanks.  Which width and thickness did you use?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Why not use multiple runs of Mundorf copper or even silver/gold foil?

Well you have to cut it to size because it’s probably to wide.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

3 hours ago, dminches said:

Thanks.  Which width and thickness did you use?

The one showing in the build has Thickness: 0.125" and Width: 0.5".

I purchased the bar from the same place @oneguy suggest, and is working very nicely.

1 hour ago, RickyV said:

Why not use multiple runs of Mundorf copper or even silver/gold foil?

That is also possible, but I was also trying to reduce the amount of joints, although not sure the difference in resistance, which could be interesting to test and compare.

I'm using Neotech UP OCC for the PSU, where possible keeping the wire uncut by removing the insulation and folding it back upon itself.

(My Common Mode choke circuit makes for shorter single runs anyway)

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

• 5 weeks later...

There are some missing components in your picture @rico25- don't forget the TAIKO is fed DC and will likely have 'noise feeding  back'.

You could list all the parts in the supply (including the rectifier, bypass caps etc and the MB/CPU /cards  you intend to use for better feedback from others (assuming that is what you seek)?

ATB

b.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2021 at 6:52 PM, elan120 said:

@Exocer, Yes, but not much during this holiday season.  Initial impression is very good, but I still need to make up the right cable as well as lots of burn-in to provide a better comparison between what I use now versus this one.  I do think, based on limited listening, this could end up be my long term reference.  I am planning to use this power supply for my next server build, it is still in parts gathering stage, and I hope to have it started around early Feb-2022.

@elan120 it is now early February. Do you have any interesting updates for us?

Also,do you plan to pick up the recently available Noratel transformer?

I have replaced my Toroidy with the Noratel but made some other changes in my chain that make a direct comparison impossible. What I will say is my system sounds the best it has ever sounded. Although the Toroidy was no slouch.

-Rob

10 minutes ago, bit01 said:

@oneguyDo you plan to fasten or brace the cases together in some way or is one simply sitting (with its feet) on top of the other?

When I was planning on putting the Taiko in the server chassis I was going to use and XLR connection to link the two (one on the top of the server and one on the bottom of the ULPS) which would have required precise mating and a guide. The method I described in my previous post wouldn’t require precise mating and unless there was an earthquake they would slide in relation to each other so no bracing is required.

It can certainly be added though

-Spiked feet isolators

-A cup and ball type system

-guiding rod and cylinder