IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

Are you referring to the first capacitor after the rectifier? That is where the ripple current always is going to be highest, it's the ripple current after the last capacitor that counts.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

high current caps should be able to cope, or you can try  an LCLC config?

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

so, I finally got the PSU components in house, I'm just a bit puzzled by the power in Molex plug for the Taiko ATX....does anyone know what type that is? 

forget it , it's a PCI-E cable connector, I sprang one loose of an old PSU harness :-)

Does nobody wonder how that Saligny active rectifier can be fotted with the tiny connectors it has? I do, and even more when pondering how I shall connect it to the transformer secondary winding....soldering 2mm in diameter to something like 5mm diameter??

I am so used to hardwiring due to building tube amps that I cannot bring myself to use a PCB for this purpose....I'm mostly puzzled by the size of the Saligny's legs when considering it can do 20A continuous....those legs must be glowing at that current...

so the prototype PSU build is done, steady 36.1 V DC (without load)

500VA Toroidy, Saligny rectifier, Neotech UP OCC in 14AWG (single stretch for now)

Two Rifa 169  in 47.00uF , two Lundahl LL2773 in CMR and finally a Mundorf HC 47.000uF, no bypasses just yet.

IMG-20211209-WA0024.thumb.jpeg.fc8c63a5ec7c6757977565ff2c99fc8a.jpeg

Привет, пока шли заказанные детали, не удержался и собрал из подручных средств прототип блока питания для Atx.

Отключив Hypsos Ferrum от ATX и подключив этот прототип (Hypsos подключил внешнюю USB-карту SOTM + CLOCK) - получил настоящий прирост звука! Спасибо за отличный совет, как улучшить звук!

Screenshot_20211210-004458.png

1 minute ago, Medeo said:

Привет, пока шли заказанные детали, не удержался и собрал из подручных средств прототип блока питания для Atx.

Отключив Hypsos Ferrum от ATX и подключив этот прототип (Hypsos подключил внешнюю USB-карту SOTM + CLOCK) - получил настоящий прирост звука! Спасибо за отличный совет, как улучшить звук!

Screenshot_20211210-004458.png

While the ordered parts were going, I could not resist and assembled a prototype of a power supply unit for Atx from improvised means. Disconnecting Hypsos Ferrum from ATX and connecting this prototype (Hypsos connected an external card to USB) - got a real boost in sound! Thanks for the great advice on how to improve the sound!

On 12/8/2021 at 4:31 AM, oneguy said:

-HDPLEX H5 $398

-HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX + 300W LPS $695

-Intel i9-12900K $565

-Gigabyte z690 aorus master rev 1.0 $390

Have you check with Larry from HDPlex to see if HDPlex H5 case can physically accept the Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master motherboard you plan to use?  According to HDPlex website, H5 case can accept ATX, mATX, and mITX,, but not EATX.  Since Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master motherboard is an EATX motherboard, you might want to confirm with Larry to make sure.

image.png.d83407678b817712f54968ba29cc5cb1.png

image.thumb.png.7b3ed89e496e505fa1bdb748fe98f3a7.png

33 minutes ago, oneguy said:

I didn’t but I based my assumption that I could make it work on the following:

-says any size motherboard

-E-ATX is 12x13”

-internal floor space is 13.3x14.2”

The DC—ATX will be mounted in the inside of the front face. It is only 1” tall

B4D9E9F3-F5E8-492A-89AC-6567B7881450.jpeg

AED09160-863E-4E4D-AAEE-7AD8ABD2B979.jpeg

16D64567-234C-4932-A9F9-8B2A8CB16FDB.jpeg

DC-ATX is only 1” thick. I think that is a little less confusing to convey what I mean. 

NOt there yet, but the ATX module is now connected to my 36V, no magic smoke or anything else to show for....I tried to see if the 12V rails are powered but these only show 0.5V but that SATA connector has 5V....

For lack of any description is that JMPR 01 needed for anything or is connecting the EPS and ATX cables enough to allow me to use the MB pushbutton to power on and off?

(still working on the EPS and ATX cables.. or I'd simply try)

44 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

NOt there yet, but the ATX module is now connected to my 36V, no magic smoke or anything else to show for....I tried to see if the 12V rails are powered but these only show 0.5V but that SATA connector has 5V....

For lack of any description is that JMPR 01 needed for anything or is connecting the EPS and ATX cables enough to allow me to use the MB pushbutton to power on and off?

(still working on the EPS and ATX cables.. or I'd simply try)

If you are referring to the jumper on the Taiko ATX, that is an always-on jumper. I used it to force the Taiko ATX to provide 12V EPS after I killed one of the ATX rails early on before Taiko added protection. 

Without the jumper, the Taiko ATX is controlled by the motherboard (after you connect the 24-pin ATX of course). With the jumper, all rails are always on all the time. 

Think of the jumper as jump starting an ATX power supply - 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

17 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

Neotech UP OCC in 14AWG (single stretch for now)

I will repeat what @Nenon already said, wiring matters a lot, so consider to do that once and good. I know it's difficult to not check immediately, how it will sound, but if you will change wiring after, you will go through burn in process twice. BTW DC connection to Taiko ATX also impacts on sound ( a lot ). I just changed that few days ago and I was surprised, how big impact it has. 

17 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

no bypasses just yet.

I already had Vcaps ( x 3 ), KBG ( x 4 or 5 ) Mundorf Supreme SGO ( x 2 ) and Miflex KPCU ( x2 ). Each of them impacts on the final sound signature. VCaps gives lot of space, details, micro information, Miflex gives more bottom and reduces micro information. So, rolling them you can voice the ULPS to your liking. At the moment I have 1Vcap, 1 KBG, 1 Mundorf and 2 x Miflex. Still no 100% my cup of tea.

Are there any users here that changed regular chipset oscillator / quartz on computer motherboard for Crystek or similar quality clock?

I changed LAN clock twice and worked like a charm, but I am unable to successfully replace clock on the Asus motherboard chipset. Both times I tried computer does not boot and nothing I tried (bios reset, different points of clock signal injection) helps.

what are other users experience?