IGNORED

CPU Load and Sound Quality

STC

9 hours ago, STC said:

Amplifier, Preamp, source and cable should not impart any coloration of their own

The operative words here are should not.   In practice, it is an entirely different matter .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

9 hours ago, davide256 said:

My observed results are that CPU load under 50% doesn't  degrade what I hear with the caveat that I don't use/like oversampling/PCM to DSD conversion.

And that given two like computers playing complex music pieces, the computer with the faster CPU will resolve better even if CPU usage is approximately the same.

Agreed, but the usual suspects will refuse to accept that this is possible.

Have you also ever tried running a full Security scan at the same time on a Computer with a slower CPU and noticed any SQ degradation.?

I certainly have on a Windows XP and Windows 7 PC.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

5 minutes ago, STC said:

And how do you know that they are not?  

Why don't you start a Poll on this subject ? :D

2 hours ago, STC said:

So you have no idea about it but relies on polls?

I was attempting to humorously suggest that you do this to show you what a silly statement you had made.

Almost all Amplifier, Preamps, sources and quite often cables, impart some degree of degradation or coloration of their own .

1 hour ago, STC said:

Why? Any evidence?  

Are you by any chance related to either Ralf11, Marce or Mansr ? :P

Audiophiles do not normally have the background knowledge or test equipment needed to take such measurements and the Objective members here refuse to accept the results of correctly performed DBT sessions.

This is the job of qualified members in that field !!!

26 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I was attempting to humorously suggest that you do this to show you what a silly statement you had made.

Almost all Amplifier, Preamps, sources and quite often cables, impart some degree of degradation or coloration of their own .

Yes. But do you have the evidence?  Or is there a reason for you to believe a 100W amplifier Amplifier to sound a like the 100W Bryston?  Both are 100W, right?

24 minutes ago, STC said:

Yes. But do you have the evidence?  Or is there a reason for you to believe a 100W amplifier Amplifier to sound a like the 100W Bryston?  Both are 100W, right?

This is getting ridiculous . I

f you can't hear, say the difference between a 100W Class A amplifier from Nelson Pass, a typical not too expensive 100W Class D

amplifier, and a 100W Vacuum tube amplifier then you have major problems with the rest of your system.

8 minutes ago, sandyk said:

This is getting ridiculous . I

f you can't hear, say the difference between a 100W Class A amplifier from Nelson Pass, a typical not too expensive 100W Class D

amplifier, and a 100W Vacuum tube amplifier then you have major problems with the rest of your system.

I can make both Amp to sound alike or even could make Nelson Pass to sound worse than the cheap 100W. So now how do tell which one is really a better amp. Still by listening only?

2 minutes ago, STC said:

Why @Teresa why? At least say why you are disagreeing. You don’t believe I can make the Bryston or Nelson to sound inferior to the cheap Amp by subjective listening?  What is the conclusive evidence that would show these two amplifiers better than the cheap amp. 

Because it sounds like complete nonsense to me. Such an extraordinary claim would need ironclad  proof.

Bob Carver with internal component changes was able to make his amp sound like a highly regarded tubed one. Carver equipment is not cheap, though. And redesigning an amp to sound like another would not satisfy your bizarre claim.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

49 minutes ago, Teresa said:

Because it sounds like complete nonsense to me. Such an extraordinary claim would need ironclad  proof.

Bob Carver with internal component changes was able to make his amp sound like a highly regarded tubed one. Carver equipment is not cheap, though. And redesigning an amp to sound like another would not satisfy your bizarre claim.

43 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Let's hope that you don't do that for the owners of the amplifiers that you repair ! :D

23 minutes ago, davide256 said:

I’m sure that you can make any amp sound worse 😝

Unbelievable that you guys find it so hard to admit that measurements should show which is a better amp or not.  Trying so hard  NOT to say the word.

Measurements determine what is good bad. 

Once your reach the threshold of human hearing than whatever subjective opinion that you make is subjective and cannot be proven.

IF YOU WALK IN TO A ROOM BLINDFOLDED and unable to confidently guess the speaker, cable, amp, source than you are wasting your time chasing the minute difference. 

4 minutes ago, STC said:

Measurements determine what is good bad. 

I will say the word for you  -

Bullshit!

Current measurements can only suggest a possibility as to how a component may sound