IGNORED

CPU Load and Sound Quality

STC

3 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Let's see YOUR system, Sandy

My system is mainly DIY, and the internals as well as photos of my DIY Preamp etc. have been posted on numerous occasions already. These days I listen mainly on headphones due to other family members working mainly night shifts

Attached is an internal photo of my DIY Class A Preamplifier and 15W /Ch. Class A Amplifier. which like the rest of the system is Direct Coupled. i.e. NO capacitors in the signal path. They also use external toroidal transformers in a separate 2 rack case for best noise performance.

Current Class A Preamp 2017.jpg

15W Class A with new gen G.E. JLHs.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Just now, sandyk said:

I am being consistent. I find that recordings of performances captured in a room  from a pair of speakers, and then posted on YouTube are damn near useless for most purposes !!!

It is the same even If you capture a world class live concert hall performance and post them via YouTube. It will be a compromised version. BUT only a deaf would unable to rank the performance and SQ even with YT quality. 

Just now, STC said:

It is the same even If you capture a world class live concert hall performance and post them via YouTube. It will be a compromised version. BUT only a deaf would unable to rank the performance and SQ even with YT quality. 

Side-note, mildly off topic, but statement of fact  -- a lot of the commerical recordings on YouTube are infested with missing DolbyA decoding...  Just FYI.  I can clean many of them up A LOT, but of course usually only starting with 160k or 128k opus type source.

If someone masters their own material, of course the DolbyA problem won't exist.

John

Just now, John Dyson said:

Side-note, mildly off topic, but statement of fact  -- a lot of the commerical recordings on YouTube are infested with missing DolbyA decoding...  Just FYI.  I can clean many of them up A LOT, but of course usually only starting with 160k or 128k opus type source.

If someone masters their own material, of course the DolbyA problem won't exist.

John

John, I don’t think they still use DolbyA for recording nowadays. I could be wrong. 

57 minutes ago, sandyk said:

My system is mainly DIY, and the internals as well as photos of my DIY Preamp etc. have been posted on numerous occasions already. These days I listen mainly on headphones due to other family members working mainly night shifts

Attached is an internal photo of my DIY Class A Preamplifier and 15W /Ch. Class A Amplifier. which like the rest of the system is Direct Coupled. i.e. NO capacitors in the signal path. They also use external toroidal transformers in a separate 2 rack case for best noise performance.

which headphones?

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

It looks nice, but what is the source of the music, the type of amplification etc. ?

No, you don't come remotely close to the vocal members that I am referring to .

QNAP NAS, MacMini/Roon, opticalRendu, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, Audio Research Ref 3, Audio Research Ref 75SE, Wilson Sasha II’s, wire by Audioquest except for Curious Cable USB. 

22 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I am being consistent. I find that recordings of performances captured in a room  from a pair of speakers, and then posted on YouTube are damn near useless for most purposes !!!

They are very useful, because they make it trivially obvious when the playback has significant issues - you see, you're not trying to determine how good it is; rather, you're wearing the cap of a troubleshooter - there are very few videos of good sounding systems on YT ... because, well, they are not good sounding in the flesh, 😉.

19 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

which headphones?

Audio Technica ATH-M70x are the best I can afford these days after an earpiece went o/c in my original ATH W1000
 with Bubinga wood cups, which were way more expensive, and had a thin layer of butyl applied inside the cups to reduce resonances.
 They have an extended frequency response to 40kHZ (no details provided), and have a flatter frequency response  than most headphones in the critical VF area. 

ATH M70x.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

13 minutes ago, sandyk said:

They have an extended frequency response to 40kHZ (no details provided), and have a flatter frequency response  than most headphones in the critical VF area. 

ATH M70x.jpg

Massive spike in the response around 10kHz - no wonder you like what John Dyson is doing to tame the HF stuff ... 😀

16 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Massive spike in the response around 10kHz - no wonder you like what John Dyson is doing to tame the HF stuff ... 😀

Bullshit !

Have you checked out the Frequency response of most pairs of headphones ?  Many die in the arse just around the 9-10kHz area .

Do you think that nobody else except  yourself is capable of taking into account things like this , which are also later compared by me via the main system where there are no such anomalies, and the DAC is of an even higher quality ? This is trivially easy for me to do because all of John's samples are saved to USB memory stick initially..

What's your excuse where you prefer the accentuated HF response of the non decoded Dolby A original recordings ?

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Yahoo Serious ? :o

Systems with subtle but worthwhile differences will never be accurately captured for listening to crappy YouTube Audio.

Of course, if you are capturing Frank's laptop speakers vs. any decent system that will be a different matter.:D

Do you know why it is even posted in YouTube?  Or is it just a convenient excuse?  How would you propose this comparison be done? 

8 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Bullshit !

Have you checked out the Frequency response of most pairs of headphones ?  Many die in the arse just around the 9-10kHz area .

Do you think that nobody else except  yourself is capable of taking into account things like this , which are also later compared by me via the main system where there are no such anomalies, and the DAC is of an even higher quality ? This is trivially easy for me to do because all of John's samples are saved to USB memory stick initially..

What's your excuse where you prefer the accentuated HF response of the non decoded Dolby A original recordings ?

Take it easy, Alex, I was taking the pi.. 😄

What's the magic problem with headphones, in the 10k area, anyway?

You know I'm taking this Dolby A thing with a huge grain of salt - there are plenty of recordings with balances which provoke the replay chain into sounding unpleasant - this current laptop of mine, with 'micro' speakers, is no different from everything else out there. Which is why I'm using my CD rip of Ring, Ring to 'troubleshoot' - in non-optimum status, very screechy; and this steadily disappears as I get closer to better settings for everything.

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

can these picture drive my speakers?

33 minutes ago, STC said:

Maybe  there is a reason why he is hearing difference under extraordinary circumstances. 

As I previously stated I have a way better than average main system where I am readily able to confirm my initial impressions.

This thread is getting beyond a joke.

It has developed into the usual  Audiophile bashing thread and personal attacks.

John Dyson trusts what I report,  as does Barry Diament and Martin Colloms, and on several occasions cases I have referred the tracks in question from John to others for their evaluation.

On all recent occasions they have agreed with me. One is a Professional performing Classical musician.

46 minutes ago, STC said:

can these picture drive my speakers?

ST

Haven't you got anything better to do than post smart arse replies like this ?

Isn't it about time you either put this thread back on track or put it out of it's misery  ?

Just now, sandyk said:

ST

Haven't you got anything better to do than post smart arse replies like this ?

Isn't it about time you either put this thread back on track or put it out of it's misery  ?

You started it and I answered and asking you to provide a way to do this better and more reliable. Do you know or not?