IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

17 hours ago, Superdad said:

That is not ideal.  Best performance from EtherREGEN is always to have whatever is your DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer endpoint (or Ethernet-input-equipped DAC) ALONE on one side of its 'A' / 'B' active-differential-isolation moat (typically the 'B' side as there is only the one port there).

So in your case you would attach to the 'A' side ports your network feed (from router is just fine), your NAS, and your TV.  To the lone 'B' port connect your streamer.

I know that, but I also want the TV to benefit from the Etherregen, when accessing content from the NAS for videophile watching. This means the NAS should be on the other side of the moat, correct?

If so, that means NAS on B, and Streamer & TV on A. And hoping the TV, when not in use, does not pass noise onto side A where the streamer also is...

1 hour ago, agisthos said:

I know that, but I also want the TV to benefit from the Etherregen, when accessing content from the NAS for videophile watching. This means the NAS should be on the other side of the moat, correct?

If so, that means NAS on B, and Streamer & TV on A. And hoping the TV, when not in use, does not pass noise onto side A where the streamer also is...

My system is connected as suggested by Superdad,

- Router, NAS, TV and Chromecast Audio, are connected to the A-side.

- My streamer/music renderer is connected to the B-side.

The TV and Chromecast Audio are used for my YouTube Music subscription. Both devices are connected to my main DAC via S/PDIF. When I acquired the EtherREGEN, sound from YouTube took a significant jump in sound quality, so the ethernet connection from the ER A-side is helping, quite a lot. (I later added an iFi iPurifier SPDIF and linear power supply, which provided further improvement in SQ, but that's another story.)

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sjj said:

@Superdadis there an update on when the new ER will be available?

Been wondering this myself. I do see the website notes April 2023.

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

• 4 weeks later...

With the EtherREGEN is there any sonic advantage to feeding it with a 12v 4amps power supply as against a 12volt 2amp version of the same respected product?  I know the EtherREGEN draws 0.8amp at 12volts. I’m thinking dynamically, peaks etc.?

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

6 hours ago, Liam said:

With the EtherREGEN is there any sonic advantage to feeding it with a 12v 4amps power supply as against a 12volt 2amp version of the same respected product?  I know the EtherREGEN draws 0.8amp at 12volts. I’m thinking dynamically, peaks etc.?

IME, yes. I tried a 12V 50W (2A) Zero-Zone and found the bass too loose. The 12V 4A version was a clear improvement. I will say however, that the internals of these two are quite different, the 4A version is almost twice the size, with a lot more caps, overpressure protection (?) and I don't know what else. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

4 hours ago, audiobomber said:

IME, yes. I tried a 12V 50W (2A) Zero-Zone and found the bass too loose. The 12V 4A version was a clear improvement. I will say however, that the internals of these two are quite different, the 4A version is almost twice the size, with a lot more caps, overpressure protection (?) and I don't know what else. 

Thanks audiobomber.  Yes the two devices are very different.  Superdad's response certainly illuminates the requirements.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

And just as an aside: How can they refer to a 12V/2A unit as being a 50W supply? V*A=W so that’s a 24W supply. 9_9

Alex, it's that simple. For example, there is a transformer with a capacity of 50 W, and the maximum load current is declared as 2 A at 12 V. And this is correct so that it does not turn out as you described in that old message ;) . 

Here is an example of such a lot.

In my experience, usually transformers in such power supplies do not withstand the maximum load that transformers should provide based on their declared power (usually from saving on secondary winding ;)).

11 minutes ago, Mihaylov said:

Alex, it's that simple. For example, there is a transformer with a capacity of 50 W, and the maximum load current is declared as 2 A at 12 V. And this is correct so that it does not turn out as you described in that old message ;) . 

Here is an example of such a lot.

In my experience, usually transformers in such power supplies do not withstand the maximum load that transformers should provide based on their declared power (usually from saving on secondary winding ;)).

The 50W figure is quoted in the sales ad. No amperage was specified when I ordered the unit, so I inquired and was told 2A. I've heard that one should go at least 15% higher when going from SMPS to LPS. I always go well above the required amperage. 

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

A 2A power supply is more than plenty for an EtherREGEN.  What matters much more that max current capability—or even low-noise performance since the EtherREGEN has a dozen LT3045/42 regs handling final local regulation—is very low output impedance. Digital devices constantly draw current in extremely short bursts. So it is the ability to respond instantaneously not high current capability that matters most. 
That said, even the same manufacturer’s two versions of LPS—say a 2A and a 4A—will have differences in output impedance due to a variety of choices from input to output (transformer, diodes, pre-regulation capacitance, voltage regulator choice and paralleling method, post reg capacitance, etc…).

Thanks so much for expanding my knowledge of the pertinent power requirements of the EtherREGEN.  The manufacturer of the two power supplies since did confirm that the 2amp version would be good (adequate?) for the EtherREGEN.  Now I know that the requirements aren't so straight forward as I thought.   

17 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The net result is that you typically need several times higher current rating of the transformer for a particular  DC output.

That's not entirely true. The capacity of the transformer is calculated using the formula below (sorry, but I only have the Russian translation of this wonderful book).

That is, the power of the transformer Pn should only be about 20% (if you neglect the small voltage drop on the diodes Ud compared to the output voltage Ua) exceed the output power of the power supply.
The problem is that the voltage on the secondary winding of the transformers on some Chinese transformers is indicated in idle mode, and not in the rated load mode.  And the voltage in the rated load mode can drop greatly compared to the idle voltage due to the high resistance of the secondary winding (for example, the small diameter of the secondary winding wire due to copper savings).
Therefore, it is necessary to choose the power of such Chinese transformers with a large (double or more, in my experience) excess.B1988CB4-107E-479C-9B76-95F54465AFA8.thumb.jpeg.23501450eee769f5f41566789545a855.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

@Superdad I have a Sonore OpticalModule Deluxe V2 connected to the EtherRegen via SFP. When I connected from A port the MUON Pro streaming system (supporting 1GB/s) to the LUMIN U2 Mini which is also 1GB/s compatible I see on the ER just one LED (the right one) blinking on the A Port slot.  Is this an indicator no 1GB/s is working or a general situation in the ER?

20 minutes ago, Markus8 said:

@Superdad I have a Sonore OpticalModule Deluxe V2 connected to the EtherRegen via SFP. When I connected from A port the MUON Pro streaming system (supporting 1GB/s) to the LUMIN U2 Mini which is also 1GB/s compatible I see on the ER just one LED (the right one) blinking on the A Port slot.  Is this an indicator no 1GB/s is working or a general situation in the ER?

Hi Markus:

All is normal for you (at least with regards your EtherREGEN... :P).

On the 'A' side of EtherREGEN only one LED will light over each port with an active connection. Amber (top-right) to indicate 1Gbps connection, green (top-left) to indicate 10/100Mbps connections.  

The 100Mbps-only 'B' side RJ45 port is different. The amber LED will generally light dimly with any connection, but it is the green LED that should be paid attention to as it indicates activity and connection.

Best,

--Alex C.

45 minutes ago, Markus8 said:

Thank you @Superdad- glad to hear 😁

keeping fingers crossed to see Gigabit enabled B side Gen.2 soon 

Hi Markus, How would gigabit improves sound quality ?

Yes, I sold my ER in anticipation of the gen 2 but more on looking forward to the incorporated sine to square clock functionality as I am having the sine version of AfterDark double crown Emperor without recommended filter by Uptone.

Will be good to know of any icing of having gen 2.

Cheers.

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

2 hours ago, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Markus, How would gigabit improves sound quality ?

Yes, I sold my ER in anticipation of the gen 2 but more on looking forward to the incorporated sine to square clock functionality as I am having the sine version of AfterDark double crown Emperor without recommended filter by Uptone.

Will be good to know of any icing of having gen 2.

Cheers.

I am hoping the sine to square wave functionality can be toggled on or off. My main clock is all square wave 😎.

1 hour ago, GryphonGuy said:

Let me start by saying 100Mb/s networking is adequate for even 2ch 768kHz 32bit audio. It falls (just) under 50% of the 100Mb/s signal. So even if half-duplex connection exists (50Mb/s to the device and 50Mb/s away from the device) it should work but will inevitably have drop-outs. Full-duplex connections (the vast majority of today's networking and means 100Mb/s to the device and 100Mb/s away from the device) should work well unless you are trying to watch a video etc over that same physical connection.

Gigabit networking is now required by some audio equipment vendors, like Merging using the AES67 standard of networking over ethernet and Audinate the owner of Dante digital audio protocol over ethernet. The merging gear will not even load its networking inputs and outputs if it sees less than 1gb/s on its network port. A minority of products using Dante will limit the number of channels available over less than 1gb/s but most will either fail to connect or behave badly on less than 1gb/s connection.

So for me, the gigabit option is a no-brainer and now more of a requirement than a desire in my digital audio studio here.

Regards

GG

Hi GG,

Tks for the teaching.

No mentioned AES67 or Dante for me whatever they are and seemingly no dropoff .. at least audible ones  ... with 768hz 32b or high res dsd experienced in my system with existing ERs but indeed no harm that I can understand with gigabit lan.

Cheers.

32bit x 76800Hz x 2 = 4915200bit/sec = 4.9152Mbps

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

1 hour ago, GryphonGuy said:

I think Superdad has already quelled this misunderstanding previously. So don't worry all will be well.

Hi GG,

So there will be toggle on and off or it does not matter if already square wave clocking ?

Thanks and cheers.

Richard