13 minutes ago, baoutch said:

Anotherspin your anger and tone are really not cool, just wanted an answer to a simple question from anyone related to Qobuz.

But I guess I'm starting to understand the philosophy here...

Good night / day.

Anger? What are we talking about? All I'm trying to say is to express doubts about the adequacy of the machine-generated recommendations. But, whatever. Please be assured I will not lose my sleep, if you or anybody else feel more comfortable in a matrix.

1 minute ago, kumakuma said:

I think he was put off by @AnotherSpin's Socratic Buddhist schtick

Got that right. Sorry.

2 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Anger? What are we talking about? All I'm trying to say is to express doubts about the adequacy of the machine-generated recommendations. But, whatever. Please be assured I will not lose my sleep, if you or anybody else feel more comfortable in a matrix.

Ok Neo.

Plus browsed this thread found this :

All this is true but not sure where the idea we are not working on personalization, radio features, and autoplay came from. People just have no idea how small our team still is

So I guess I have my answer now (and also a sense of why you can get this idea... Yeah Neo I'm looking at you...).

Good luck and hope to see these features soon.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, baoutch said:

Got that right. Sorry.

Ok Neo.

Plus browsed this thread found this :

So I guess I have my answer now (and also a sense of why you can get this idea... Yeah Neo I'm looking at you...).

Good luck and hope to see these features soon.

Thanks

Personal attacks start when the ability to engage in dialogue stops. But, I have no complaints. Have a good evening. And, welcome to the machine.

4 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Do I hear you right -- the human capacity for discovery is inferior to that of a computer?

You didn't hear me right. Go back and read my post again.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

16 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Yes, I have read Plato and some Buddhist literature, but what has that got to do with it?

The answer you are looking for is inside your mind, not mine. Look inward, my friend, look inward.

Just now, kumakuma said:

You didn't hear me right. Go back and read my post again.

Ok. How did people listen to music before Roon or Spotify came along? Rambling around in the dark? Listened to a single record on a repeat? I didn't. Maybe that is why I can not understand your dependency upon machine-generated recommendations. Sorry, it is beyond my ability.

4 hours ago, baoutch said:

So my question is simple : are you guys planning on releasing some recommendation algorithm and if so is there an approximate release date ?

There have been many assurances and many missed timeframes. At some point you have to assume that it's not happening.

Qobuz has said many times that they are a small company and that they don't have the resources to do everything they'd like to do. 

Anyway, roon provides most of qobuz's missing functionality in this area. Maybe they are content with that third party solution.

4 hours ago, baoutch said:

Anotherspin your anger and tone are really not cool, just wanted an answer to a simple question from anyone related to Qobuz.

But I guess I'm starting to understand the philosophy here...

Good night / day.

It's me not him (note his entry was to jibe at my post).  AKA don't feed the trolls or associate with deeply uncool people.

You have raised some reasonable concerns and asked for reasonable explanations.  Up to this point I resisted jumping in (for reason stated above) to sort out a few things.  This forum was... vocal and involved enough to register with Qobuz when they decided to enter the US market.  Most longer term members that subscribe quietly enjoy listening and that's that.  Which leaves room for both new interested parties and negativity in broad swathes.  

5 hours ago, baoutch said:

But there is something really disappointing : the impersonal feeling that the app gives me.

They are French and I fear they have contracted their style a bit to fit in among the beer and cheeseburger Americans who have very different tastes.  The US catalog is world's apart from the EU licensing of Classical and Jazz they did quite well with as a streaming service.  Culturally they are oceans apart as well.  I cannot say what will appeal to you personally.  Me too feature sets and copycat design are hopefully not part of it. 

it's like I'm stuck with an old living room CD player. I need to find a sound, then play it then go back to it, find another one. You get the point.

Ah, the cultural aspect rears its head.  800K hour playlists of every song you've ever heard or wanted to hear more of are not part of their DNA.  I'll deign to partially agree with the decadent and outspoken persona of negative disposition a human element of discovery, unpredictable synapse firing in unique ways outside the very deeply psychologically and emotionally leading ecosystems prevalent in US computing, which enriches the user.  You are meant to really dig through the catalog and continue to discover more and more music.  Algorithms can work out pretty well to suggest your daughter is pregnant by what she purchases online or turn you onto some other totally unrelated new release you totally need to buy/stream/tell others about/etc.  Sooner or later you fail to exist in this equation.  This appears to be something on the edge of your mind, being used and paying for it.

Whenever I open the app there is nothing fresh and related to my taste.

Exactly, the focus is not self image.  There are considerably less reinforcing elements that pronounce you as specially involved in everything they toil to make attractive enough for your needs.  Eventually you will recognize the front page is a mature digest of adult interests to be engaged in or brushed past.  Dig in to the catalog with absolutely nothing to stand in the way of being an individual capable of positing numerous different tastes that have zero to do with each other.  Dare I say sophistication free from sophistry and the guiding light of pressure to exist only within suggestible routes.  Suggest an act they've never heard and campaign to get said act to acquiesce to streaming contract.  Enjoy the damned music not lay belly up to the addicting experience of being fed!

but I discovered tons of good stuffs that were just fitting my taste at a certain point of my life that I now find absolutely essential.

↑↑↑  

So my question is simple : are you guys planning on releasing some recommendation algorithm and if so is there an approximate release date ?

Not very simple.  Very "I want the same experience I've been trained to expect."  

I'll thank you for remaining respectful and not reacting to uncool elements probably far below your level of interaction with music.  Give yourself a chance to do personal research that expands upon the ideas and musical tastes other's have so easily adjusted towards accepting as all that is out there.  Relax, don't get frustrated if you hit a dead end.  If you find yourself crying to Streisand at 3 A.M. inexplicably don't show any shame for the connection you forged with the music.  🤭

Thanks for this answer. For some parts I had to use google translate (yet another machine to help me do something I can't naturally...) so excuse me if I misunderstood some of your statements.

As a background, I work 15 hours a day (coding machines btw), have to manage the kid, need to make some food, buy groceries, walk the dog, clean the place etc... So the whole "dig through millions of songs and find music by yourself cause you're not entitled to the machine"... well I wish I had time for that...

The way I used Spotify was like this :

• At first I add all the artists I liked little by little, listened to them as I do on Qobuz, then when I have time browse through related artists, found some good stuff.
  • Also I can see what my friends listen to on the sidebar, so sometimes I click and listen, or go through their playlists -> found many good things like that.
  • I read something that triggers my curiosity about an artist -> I'll go check him out. Old school.
  • I'm working, I listen to a song I feel is particularly fitting my mood, I launch a radio with that song (just like I did with last.fm 15 years ago), -> sometimes discover new stuff add artists ...
  • And finally the discover weekly which is in my opinion an awesome piece of AI software, because there are almost always 2 or 3 songs I like, sometimes very unexpected genres, very eclectic and refreshing, I opened to so many artists I would have never heard of -> I add new artists to follow, go check their music afterwards, and so on

All those way I interact with the app have the same purpose : feeding my curiosity / love for music.

Am I being a lazy mouth-opened douche fed by machines for doing that ? Don't feel like it, maybe a little but fine by me.

Using the algo is only a part of the experience, but it does stuffs I genuinely could not do by myself.

You describe it as The Matrix - which AI can be ofc when it's used to sell you pampers -, but to me in that particular case it's more like Interstellar.

Nice day to you all

Cheers !

10 minutes ago, baoutch said:

Thanks for this answer. For some parts I had to use google translate (yet another machine to help me do something I can't naturally...) so excuse me if I misunderstood some of your statements.

As a background, I work 15 hours a day (coding machines btw), have to manage the kid, need to make some food, buy groceries, walk the dog, clean the place etc... So the whole "dig through millions of songs and find music by yourself cause you're not entitled to the machine"... well I wish I had time for that...

The way I used Spotify was like this :

• At first I add all the artists I liked little by little, listened to them as I do on Qobuz, then when I have time browse through related artists, found some good stuff.
  • Also I can see what my friends listen to on the sidebar, so sometimes I click and listen, or go through their playlists -> found many good things like that.
  • I read something that triggers my curiosity about an artist -> I'll go check him out. Old school.
  • I'm working, I listen to a song I feel is particularly fitting my mood, I launch a radio with that song (just like I did with last.fm 15 years ago), -> sometimes discover new stuff add artists ...
  • And finally the discover weekly which is in my opinion an awesome piece of AI software, because there are almost always 2 or 3 songs I like, sometimes very unexpected genres, very eclectic and refreshing, I opened to so many artists I would have never heard of -> I add new artists to follow, go check their music afterwards, and so on

All those way I interact with the app have the same purpose : feeding my curiosity / love for music.

Am I being a lazy mouth-opened douche fed by machines for doing that ? Don't feel like it, maybe a little but fine by me.

Using the algo is only a part of the experience, but it does stuffs I genuinely could not do by myself.

You describe it as The Matrix - which AI can be ofc when it's used to sell you pampers -, but to me in that particular case it's more like Interstellar.

Nice day to you all

Cheers !

If you love music, music will find you. I grew up in a country behind the Iron Curtain, where all information was carefully dosed and dissected. But an irrepressible interest did the trick, and in every way possible we were able to research and found what we wanted to listen to, from The Rolling Stones, Yes and Grateful Dead to Mahler, Beethoven and Miles Davis. Maybe this is why I won't trust a computer with what is so important to me as a human being. Consumer society is set up differently, and I feel sorry for people who choose their music/food/political views/spouse etc. with the help of an algorithm. However, what is -- is, I am not going to argue. Glad Qobuz put the effort into quality rather than recommendations algorithms.

6 hours ago, baoutch said:

As a background, I work 15 hours a day (coding machines btw)

In the thick of it, you say.  

Decompress I say.  Not pack more into an increasingly smaller timeframe.  You get enough of that.  Make some time for yourself... to sit back and relax enough to enjoy these, razor slim currently, moments seems like exceedingly important life advice.  Much less aiding you in understanding how more contented others approach music, or food, or anything else which feeds the soul. 

Quite likely there will be a button you can press that sets the machine in motion on Qobuz given the mass calls for it.  

Not sure there is a perfect answer for what should accompany caffeine fueled coding sessions.  

6 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

If you love music, music will find you. I grew up in a country behind the Iron Curtain, where all information was carefully dosed and dissected. But an irrepressible interest did the trick, and in every way possible we were able to research and found what we wanted to listen to, from The Rolling Stones, Yes and Grateful Dead to Mahler, Beethoven and Miles Davis. Maybe this is why I won't trust a computer with what is so important to me as a human being. Consumer society is set up differently, and I feel sorry for people who choose their music/food/political views/spouse etc. with the help of an algorithm. However, what is -- is, I am not going to argue. Glad Qobuz put the effort into quality rather than recommendations algorithms.

If I love the music, does it matter how it found me?

If I found my wife though an online dating site, will I love her any less?

Should I reject the knowledge and insights contained in a book because Amazon.com recommended it to me?

34 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

If I love the music, does it matter how it found me?

If I found my wife though an online dating site, will I love her any less?

Should I reject the knowledge and insights contained in a book because Amazon.com recommended it to me?

Of course not. Still, why do you hesitate to ask yourself first?

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If you walk into a record store, do you actively try not to look at the album advertisements on the walls and the albums placed in more visible locations? 

When I went to the shop (not anymore, it was a long time ago) I had a pretty good idea of what I was interested in and what I wanted to buy. About the same is still true today. I am well educated and well informed, if I listen to the possibility of a random choice (or machine generated choice), it is not the only possible option and not the first any way. 

5 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Did you try to tell me you have nothing in your head or memory? I do not believe you.

What's in my head isn't going to help me find an artist that I have never heard of.

This, to me, is the value of the computer-generated recommendations.

In other words, there're just another tool to discover artists that I haven't yet encountered though other methods such as online sites like this or magazines, etc. 

23 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If you walk into a record store, do you actively try not to look at the album advertisements on the walls and the albums placed in more visible locations? 

Wildly OT:  Ignorance of pop fluff distractions en route to desired section?  Absolutely, even with your nonsensical preconditioning of 'scene' and relics.

This has all the hallmarks of A NEW THREAD!!