Aggrieved elements leaking into my previous message may have been imparted by an act of downloading multiple GB of WMA 🤢 at a point of the day I was prepared to not deal with computers any further.  SOP in every case except questions of sex is to select the "other" option and proceed directly to affirming reception of what is needed.   

1 hour ago, rando said:

Aggrieved elements leaking into my previous message may have been imparted by an act of downloading multiple GB of WMA 🤢 at a point of the day I was prepared to not deal with computers any further.  SOP in every case except questions of sex is to select the "other" option and proceed directly to affirming reception of what is needed.   

My aggreviated elements kinda became too hot after reading this.

Ok so I am a defector from Spotify.

I got to say the sound quality is in comparison absolutely fantastic.

But there is something really disappointing : the impersonal feeling that the app gives me.

To be fair, I paid a whole year of subscription at Qobuz (which as you know is double the price) had all my playlists transferred and so on, but it's like I'm stuck with an old living room CD player. I need to find a sound, then play it then go back to it, find another one. You get the point.

Whenever I open the app there is nothing fresh and related to my taste. I really despise Spotify because of its business model and sound quality, but I discovered tons of good stuffs that were just fitting my taste at a certain point of my life that I now find absolutely essential. I mean, reco algorithms are the heart of every streaming service nowadays. For instance I miss the discover weekly playlist so bad that I really question my decision to move my subscription.

So my question is simple : are you guys planning on releasing some recommendation algorithm and if so is there an approximate release date ?

I really question me staying here if not.

Thanks

23 minutes ago, baoutch said:

Ok so I am a defector from Spotify.

I got to say the sound quality is in comparison absolutely fantastic.

But there is something really disappointing : the impersonal feeling that the app gives me.

To be fair, I paid a whole year of subscription at Qobuz (which as you know is double the price) had all my playlists transferred and so on, but it's like I'm stuck with an old living room CD player. I need to find a sound, then play it then go back to it, find another one. You get the point.

Whenever I open the app there is nothing fresh and related to my taste. I really despise Spotify because of its business model and sound quality, but I discovered tons of good stuffs that were just fitting my taste at a certain point of my life that I now find absolutely essential. I mean, reco algorithms are the heart of every streaming service nowadays. For instance I miss the discover weekly playlist so bad that I really question my decision to move my subscription.

So my question is simple : are you guys planning on releasing some recommendation algorithm and if so is there an approximate release date ?

I really question me staying here if not.

Thanks

Interesting question. And in a way demeaning to human dignity. Are we capable of deciding for ourselves what we listen to, or are we totally dependent on a computer algorithm and its recommendations?

16 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Interesting question. And in a way demeaning to human dignity. Are we capable of deciding for ourselves what we listen to, or are we totally dependent on a computer algorithm and its recommendations?

Does anyone turn over the decision making process entirely to "the machine"?

I think most people use the computer-generated recommendations as a way to discover new music to listen to, similar to reading reviews in a magazine or scanning the posts to the Albums of the Evening thread here on this site.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 minute ago, kumakuma said:

Does anyone turn over the decision making process entirely to " the machine"?

I think most people use the recommendations as a way to discover new music to listen to, similar to reading reviews in a magazine or scanning the posts to the Albums of the Evening thread here on this site.

Do you know the point when recommendation turns into decision? Tell me.

48 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Are we capable of deciding for ourselves what we listen to, or are we totally dependent on a computer algorithm and its recommendations?

For human brain and consciousness absolute knowledge and information seems to be not possible, for a machine less so. Even the machine doesn't anticipate my emotional relation to particular music, it may look for objectively comparable data and offer me music I did not know or did not take into account. That is why I like Roon Radio a lot, depending in my playlists before.

5 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Do you know the point when recommendation turns into decision? Tell me.

When you decide to listen to one of the recommendations that the algorithm makes.

4 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

For human brain and consciousness absolute knowledge and information seems to be not possible, for a machine less so. Even the machine doesn't anticipate my emotional relation to particular music, it may look for objectively comparable data and offer me music I did not know or did not take into account. That is why I like Robin Radio a lot, depending in my playlists before.

Yes, machine offers you listen.

1 minute ago, AnotherSpin said:

Did you choose any of those ones?

Yes, the recommendations are typically based on artists or albums I have added as favorites or songs that I have listening to.

In other words, choices I have made.

1 minute ago, kumakuma said:

Yes, the recommendations are typically based on artists or albums I have added as favorites or songs that I have listening to.

In other words, choices I have made.

Well, if it was result of your previous choices why you became dependent on machine recommendations now?

Just now, AnotherSpin said:

Well, if it was result of your previous choices why you became dependent on machine recommendations now?

I haven't.

The computer recommends songs and artists I might like.

Sometimes I listen to them. Sometimes I don't. 

3 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I haven't.

The computer recommends songs and artists I might like.

Sometimes I listen to them. Sometimes I don't. 

For some reason the old joke comes to mind: yesterday you bought soap online, today Facebook recommends ropes and stools.

How is it different from articles like Qobuz have on their frontpage ? Except its often less pertinent as it does not reflect my taste (eventhough some are really cool).

And yeah we are in 2021, reco algos are pretty cool if you like to discover new stuff (although yeah they suck on FB but I'm not on any social media).

39 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Is there something Spotify does that’s different from the others, with respect to its business model?

I dont really know. What I see is they're turning into a huge old school radio especially on free mode with now only a huge play button, plus they destroyed a lot of features lately even on premium (last app iteration is a disaster), namely the ones allowing you to discover stuff on your own (notification bell and so on) and don't seem to care about the thousands of ppl complaining on their forum.

47 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

This is a bit extreme... I'm still able to keep my dignity and know if I like a song or not, just like when I browse the playlists in Qobuz articles or when my friend tells me "hey listen to this". I don't really care where it comes from and I'm not afraid of machines actually if tweaked fine they can be pretty awesome.

29 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Yes, machine offers you listen.

As you may have already found out, elaborating your phrase into:

Machine offers music you may like by predefined algorithms dependent in your personal taste presented to it,

and you have the choice to listen to it or skip it

..makes it more valuable.

My decision, but usually it is better than radio. And believe me, I still rave about the times when I got personal recommendations from friends when we talked in person about music. Where I live I haven't met anyone in 15 years who could recommend me anything valuable about music.

1 minute ago, baoutch said:

[...]

This is a bit extreme... I'm still able to keep my dignity and know if I like a song or not, just like when I browse the playlists in Qobuz articles or when my friend tells me "hey listen to this". I don't really care where it comes from and I'm not afraid of machines actually if tweaked fine they can be pretty awesome.

Any "choice" is not independent, whatever the mind may tell. You can choose to follow the advice of people, you can choose to follow the advice of machines. As long as we are asleep, there is no difference.