IGNORED

Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro MQA

On 9/3/2019 at 6:35 AM, Miska said:

Most manufacturers will ignore it though. And improving results for this single measurement to improve ranking on this list can be counterproductive. It is just like anything else tested on single parameter, be it car tires, cars or audio equipment. And for example they test the DAC only with single input format.

I agree you can’t put everything into just one measurement.

But if we’re talking about this SINAD ranking, I do see an informal trend that the highest SINAD DACs also tend to do well in other measurements too...

It seems (just looking casually) that it takes good overall engineering competency to get a SINAD above 110dB...

Of course I’m not talking about sound quality at all. Just talking about meeting the manufacturer’s technical claims.

59 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

But if we’re talking about this SINAD ranking, I do see an informal trend that the highest SINAD DACs also tend to do well in other measurements too...

It seems (just looking casually) that it takes good overall engineering competency to get a SINAD above 110dB...

SINAD (aka THD+N)... Within constraints of those tests... Those measurements don't tell for example how good performance the DAC is capable of when driven in a different way. But even looking at those measurements at ASR, the DAC in question wasn't so special.

For example I personally rather take modern AKM DAC chip than ESS Sabre, no matter how good 1 kHz THD+N figure someone squeezes out of ESS.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

10 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

AKM is better in this regard?

Not with digital filters, it is the same. Both of course can be used with external one. But AKM has no ASRC/DPLL related problems. I prefer DACs that can be used as D/A converters, without built-in DSP. Otherwise their performance is capped by the DSP...

I'm very happy with my discrete DACs now though, both T+A and Holo Audio. I will also try Denafrips when I get around ordering one.

5 hours ago, opus101 said:

Even the very latest AKM DAC (AK4499) has only -100dB stop-band rejection. Also note it uses an equi-ripple filter. These are known to exhibit pre-echoes - see a paper on this by Julian Dunn.

Just like ESS... But equiripple doesn't have anything to do with that. You can also have minimum-phase equiripple filter that of course doesn't have pre-echo. Or any intermediate-phase one for that matter...

AKM also has minimum-phase (short delay) filters available on the chip, plus "low-dispersion short-delay" filter.

But I personally stay away from any DAC chip digital filters.

59 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is the way many consumers think, but in reality it isn't the case. Think about rankings of anything and what manufacturers will do to be ranked higher.

Noted but as I noted above, it appears (informally) that those DACs with SINAD above 110dB also do well in most of the other measurements he does...

So maybe it takes good overall engineering competency to achieve a SINAD above 110dB? 

Unless you mean all his measurements are useless?

On 9/2/2019 at 5:24 PM, pkane2001 said:

Haven't seen AB's USB measurements. Mine was just to compare a Lush^2 to a generic USB cable. First post here, some follow-ups in the posts below it:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/do-usb-audio-cables-make-a-difference.1887/post-216835

Comparison of a few balanced interconnects:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/do-interconnect-cables-make-a-difference-a-null-test-result.7738/

Cool. Thank you for sharing. Here’s Bob’s post:

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/usb-cable-shield-resistance-technical-measurements.5662/

1 hour ago, JoshM said:

Interesting. Not sure how shield resistance translates into sound quality. Variable resistance that seems to change all by itself seems very strange, though :)

4 minutes ago, opus101 said:

Looks like dodgy reasoning to me. When people target a particular distortion metric, that particular metric ceases to be one guaranteeing a good outcome for customers.

It must be pure luck / coincidence that those DACs with SINAD over 110dB also have (mostly) very good other measurements... 

It can’t be good overall engineering... it must be luck / coincidence...