IGNORED

Bits is bits?

20 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Really? After 5000+ posts telling us that our approach to this hobby is all wrong?

All wrong? I've heard systems in person, on very rare occasions, that get it mighty right - but the logic behind why the particular rig is doing so well is not anywhere as well thought through. If people were to do a few experiments with setups that were very close to achieving high standards of SQ, in the sorts of ways I've mentioned, then I would suggest that many would hear the variations in the sound - and that could give them a different focus in how they proceed.

Most people are aware of how impressive the playback of a recording that they thought they knew well can come across - when they hear it on a "special rig" ... what I'm saying is that at that moment one is finally hearing the actual content of the recording, without almost no added signature of the playback system, for the first time. If an approach is used that doesn't consider that as a goal, then, yes, I suppose I would say it's "all wrong" ...

13 minutes ago, jabbr said:

.. , and has no relationship to the topic of this thread, ...

I would suggest people are unable to remember what the content of that article is ... they are so obsessed with trying to pinpoint where the merchandising of snake oil starts, that their eyes glaze over as the second sentence passes by, "It’s never long before someone invokes the “bits are always bits” argument, whining that digital is either “on or off”, and so there can’t be a “better” digital signal—it is 100 % perfect or not working at all." ...

As the rest of the article intelligently notes, there are plenty of areas where the "perfection of digital" comes undone, when that nasty ol' analogue world, just close by, has to get involved - pretending that this can't be relevant might be a nice comfort blanket; but that doesn't help those who just want better sound.

21 minutes ago, Rexp said:

In a system where chain is phone>upnp streamer>dac. Why does Tidal app sound inferior to mconnect app, given same bits? 

Does it sound different?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

7 hours ago, fas42 said:

As the rest of the article intelligently notes, there are plenty of areas where the "perfection of digital" comes undone, when that nasty ol' analogue world, just close by, has to get involved - pretending that this can't be relevant might be a nice comfort blanket; but that doesn't help those who just want better sound.

Where? What?

5 hours ago, Rexp said:

In a system where chain is phone>upnp streamer>dac. Why does Tidal app sound inferior to mconnect app, given same bits? 

Do you know the same bit pattern is being put out, is there digital volume control involved and of course as put, do they sound different all things to investigate...

11 hours ago, jabbr said:

The Pro-next S2D is an outstanding and affordable bus powered DAC that I have found sensitive to power supply in certain situations. My personal experience. 

If it's that sensitive to the power supply, I wouldn't call it outstanding.

I’ve seen the minimum rise time specified at 300 ps with a max roughly 1 ns according to the eye diagram (which itself places no lower limit on rise time).

Wherever you saw the 300 ps figure, it was wrong.

Obviously we expect the interface to have a low BER, but again, if there is no effect of variations in rise time (within spec) on the interface’s I2S/DSD eye plot itself then this is a nonissue.

The I2S timing is mostly irrelevant since the DAC chip buffers the data internally.

2 minutes ago, marce said:

USB 2 rise times:

Low Speed 75-300ns    Fknee approx.  4.66MHz  to 1.16MHz

Full Speed   4-20ns       Fknee approx.  87.5MHz to 17.5MHz

High Speed 100ps        Fknee approx.  3.5GHz

Where are you getting that 100 ps figure? The spec (section 7.1.2.2) says 500 ps.

4 hours ago, mansr said:

If it's that sensitive to the power supply, I wouldn't call it outstanding.

I see. Lots of other folks like it. 

4 hours ago, mansr said:

Wherever you saw the 300 ps figure, it was wrong.

Let’s see 🤔

https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files/USB_2_0_Electrical_Compliance_Specificationv1.06.pdf

3.2 EL_6

4 hours ago, mansr said:

The I2S timing is mostly irrelevant since the DAC chip buffers the data internally.

Which DAC chip ... all of them, in all cases? What about chipless DACs ... point being that if the USB variation doesn’t make it onto the I2S/DSD lines then it can’t make a difference. That’s not saying that it always makes s difference. Those aren’t the same thing.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

9 minutes ago, jabbr said:

I see. Lots of other folks like it. 

So what? Some people like vinyl.

The section of the USB 2.0 specification referenced there says 500 ps.

Which DAC chip ... all of them, in all cases?

All modern ones do. Old, non-oversampling DACs like the TDA154x chips have only a minimal deserialisation with the LR clock directly driving the conversion stage. These chips have so poor performance at the best of times that I doubt the differences you're looking for would be detectable below all the inherent noise and distortion.

What about chipless DACs

Those are a joke.

... point being that if the USB variation doesn’t make it onto the I2S/DSD lines then it can’t make a difference. That’s not saying that it always makes s difference. Those aren’t the same thing.

Fair enough.

16 minutes ago, mansr said:

So what? Some people like vinyl.

The section of the USB 2.0 specification referenced there says 500 ps.

Perhaps too fast a rise time causes your eyes to jitterAFD32E63-CAC2-4ED4-A2EA-DC08D1E5D08E.thumb.png.8a4c31bd70a7ed768266ca8b7fa401a7.png

In any case your post is riddled with subjective opinions. 

Perhaps certain cables slow the rise time and this helps out certain USB receivers, I don’t know either way. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

15 minutes ago, jabbr said:

AFD32E63-CAC2-4ED4-A2EA-DC08D1E5D08E.thumb.png.8a4c31bd70a7ed768266ca8b7fa401a7.png

Let's uncrop that screenshot a little:

image.png.b9991eef214e18b5fc32f7230aaeba93.png

Now look up the reference mentioned there, USB 2.0 Specification Section 7.1.2.2:

image.png.6f11c46899648f8484c2320ac42fcaae.png

Note how it very clearly states that the minimum rise time is 500 ps. Yes, there is a discrepancy. Since the Electrical Compliance document refers to the USB 2.0 Specification, the latter reasonably takes precedence here.