IGNORED

Bits is bits?

18 minutes ago, psjug said:

Really?  I don't know how you expect to enjoy or evaluate the system with a fixed volume unless you only want to play from one CD.  I think it would make a lot more sense and a lot less work to use a source with volume control (something you know to be good) and go straight into the power amp.  Then you could take stock of what you have with the amp and speakers.  But no, I don't think I will follow this further and to be honest I am sorry to have discussed it here where it seems off topic.

Actually, it works mighty well ... you set the volume so that the quietest recordings are of a decent level, satisfyingly loud enough - then, even the most intense, driving albums come across the way that was intended. You see, when the SQ of a rig is in the right place then you can enjoy it at any volume - you never feel that "it's a bit loud - better turn it down!"

An audio friend in the area has got to the same place - one of the rigs which uses a recent Naim integrated has had the same resistor divider trick applied; the system was transparent enough to make it obvious that the pot was degrading the SQ.

Getting volume control to the right quality level is one of the major hurdles - well done digital level setting is the way to go; which is another of the key reasons that that first good setup I had decades ago snapped into shape.

33 minutes ago, STC said:

Finally, I see something. I can get those two wires and now I need to see the inside postures to see where you tap them. 

Dear me ... there's no mystery there - simply soldered to the circuit board traces adjacent to where the external connectors are attached to that board. I'm not fussy as to a precise, to the millimetre, point where they "tap in" - the point of the exercise is to bypass the electrical flimsiness of the box's connection hardware, no more than that.

@sandyk did PM some files to me before. In one of them, I did (subjectively) perceived one picture to be different.  I didn't notice any difference with the other pictures. Unfortunately, I couldn't proceed with the tests vigorously because it was hard to look for difference with the iPhone XS. That was the only device I have that is up to 4K. Honestly, I didn't hear any difference with the audio files but that was due to my fault. According to Alex, JRiver wasn't recommended to conduct the comparisons.

It can be frustrating to Alex when there is something which he believes could make changes but he wasn't given a fair chance to prove his point. It is also frustrating to me (and probably to others) because the method Alex his advocating to hear the difference requires a set of equipment that is beyond my reach. 

Maybe Alex could use some royalty free music and make them freely available so that more people could hear and decide on the merits of his claim. Just my $0.02. :) 

1 hour ago, marce said:

how the analogue signals are treated before an ADC or after a DAC is critical, to any analogue/digital-digital/analogue conversion, isolation from the digital signals and return currents, separate power supplies etc. Lots of app. notes, data sheets and information from the likes of TI, Linear etc. Analogue layout is critical, all the parasitic's from the interconnection are extra components in the analogue chain so all has to be considered.

. Most experienced DIY people are well aware of this. My own version of this Silicon Chip DAC uses separate transformers and PSU PCBs for both analogue and digital etc. as well as additional low noise regulation for both areas.

SC DAC PART 1 -p.1a.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

9 hours ago, marce said:

I was referring to the layout of a specific DAC (or ADC) PCB...

The same principle applies.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

6 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Yes, it is the same principle, but for a user or owner the difference is that they can change some things, but altering traces on a pcb is unlikely.  And very unlikely if SMDs/multi-level boards are used.

Not all DACs use a single PCB for both the main analogue and digital areas as can be seen in the photo of the original Silicon Chip magazine design that I posted a photo of.

• 2 weeks later...

Now this thread has calmed down a bit (unintentional pun), I would like to attempt nudge things back onto the "bits is bits" topic with a couple of bit related questions.  The first is eye patterns.  There are a number of devices that you can buy that claim to improve the eye pattern, and indeed this aspect is measurable.  But does it help sound quality?  This question has been asked before, and answered, two examples as follows:

"The spec allows for a 15% deviation, and cables might also vary in DC resistance. The important thing is that with a conforming source and cable, the eye pattern at the receiver will be within the defined limits, thus allowing correct recovery of the transmitted data. It is perhaps conceivable that a (poorly designed) DAC might be affected by noise carried, one way or another, over the USB cable and that differences in shielding or whatever between cable models might influence this. Even then, however, the descriptions of the effects (radically altered frequency response, etc) are entirely unreasonable. This suggests, to me, that the reported experiences are more likely imagined than the result of any real electrical differences." 

Thanks to @mansr for the above quote.  So to summarise, if you have a reasonably well designed DAC and the eye pattern is within defined limits, the DAC will recover the bits faithfully and all is good.  Not too much to worry about here.

On the other hand, we have threads like this that state that the eye pattern is very important indeed:

"Without getting into the complexities of how to read an eye-pattern diagram or what it all means (such will get carried to another thread), I'll just say that an eye-pattern test is really the best all-in-one representation of signal integrity as it reveals variations in noise, amplitude, timing, jitter, edge-rates, etc. "

So, are the manufactures making this stuff up to promote their widgets?  Or is it a case that that at the margins, improving the eye pattern beyond the specification defined limits where correct recovery of the data can occur, will actually produce an audible or measurable difference to sound quality?

This is a genuine question by the way.  I know there are plenty of subjective reports to suggest that improving the eye pattern improves sound quality.  But is there objective evidence for this, anything that can be measured?  I am assuming here that for anyone where this kind of stuff might be of interest, they will already have a reasonably well designed DAC.  If not, this is probably the last of their audio related worries.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

The answer is: yes!

😂 yes the eye-pattern is the easiest best way to get a handle on signal integrity. In the vast majority of cases audiophile products do not provide nor likely measure eye-patterns.

One of the prime reasons I’ve selected 10Gbe Ethernet (even when run at 1Gbe) is that the standard mandates hitting an eye pattern for conformance. That’s to say you get great SI out of the box with conformant equipment (and these switches are available for much less than pennies on the dollar on eBay).

Similarly standard Ethernet cables made from Belden are SOA. These are used in eye pattern testing.

There is no evidence that any so-called audiophile Ethernet cable’s are in any way better or even equal to Belden (indeed they might be Belden with a fancy wrapper). 

USB I will leave alone. 

So could a DAC have SQ problems with an imperfect SI? It’s possible but hasn’t been demonstrated. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

6 hours ago, jabbr said:

In the vast majority of cases audiophile products do not provide nor likely measure eye-patterns.

In the vast majority of cases,  audiophile products use transports made by a small number of other manufacturers.

Worrying about the qualities of the eye pattern is just another way of allowing yourself to get bogged, deeply, in some technical side road - which is part of the bigger picture, yes, of everything that counts towards making sure the system is working right; but may simply be a great time waster, if the real goal is optimal SQ.

My POV is that I couldn't care less what the eye pattern looked like - I have absolutely no way of translating what it shows into something meaningful as far as what I'm hearing - therefore, ignore it. The real issues are in the receiving circuitry and DAC - my goal would be make that area fully robust, so that no matter how crappy the waveforms were being fed into it, the SQ altered not one iota.

12 minutes ago, fas42 said:

- my goal would be make that area fully robust, so that no matter how crappy the waveforms were being fed into it, the SQ altered not one iota.

I don't know about these days, but the fact that simply using a green pen around the circumference of a CD resulted in audible differences, speaks volumes about the fragility of this area.

I wonder if more recent Optical blocks are unaffected by doing this ?

20 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I don't know about these days, but the fact that simply using a green pen around the circumference of a CD resulted in audible differences, speaks volumes about the fragility of this area.

I wonder if more recent Optical blocks are unaffected by doing this ?

I would just test it - by listening. The goal is to make it so that everything you can do to make it 'harder' for the end circuitry to always work correctly, by deliberately degrading the path in ways that could occur just as a normal part of everyday goings on, doesn't cause audible issues.

The principle is the same as that used for making sure that a bridge doesn't fall down - engineer it so it's 10 x as strong as it needs to be; then test it by loading it with massive weight way beyond any possible real scenario - then you have a very high level of confidence in its integrity.

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

the fact that simply using a green pen around the circumference of a CD resulted in confirmation bias, speaks volumes about the fragility of these minds

No, it speaks volumes about YOU !!!

People listen in different types of ways ... once one has become sensitised to the type of distortion where all these sorts of "weird" factors tend to cause most damage, then it becomes trivially easy to pick something going on. The one that I started working with, and which is the easiest to pick, is the shimmer from a heavy cymbals workout, particularly in something like a rock recording - depending upon where the rig is at, this will vary from a barely audible white noise, something or other, carrying on in the background, right through to a fully recognisable and true to life sound of that instrument.

If someone doesn't know how to use recordings, properly, to assess the status of the playback quality - then they will always be struggling to evaluate how well it's doing ...