IGNORED

Article: SOtM sNH-10G Network Switch Review

11 hours ago, firedog said:

If you look at Archimago’s blog, he’s measured similar stuff that audiophiles think is important and found it to have no measurable effect. 

I have found that whatever he measures has no measurable effect. I am starting to think that whatever is measuring, with whatever measuring tool he is using, is totally irrelevant in Audio. To use a crude analogy: does measuring the sperm count matter for a patient with a heart disease?

2 minutes ago, plissken said:

What's even funnier is that over the years the subjectivist won't answer it because the know that their position on Ethernet cable and switches won't hold up.

What's even funnier is that you got pretty elaborate replies, with numbers, data, rationale, and everything many times in the past, and yet, you choose to disregard and ignore any of them.

It goes like this:

Other people: X cable, Y switch, makes a difference for me.

You: BS! you must be hallucinating. Pull the Ethernet cable out! Does the sound continue? Yeah!

3 minutes ago, plissken said:

You should be able to tell WHEN the cable is removed because the sound should improve. A cable that is unplugged during playback can just as easily be plugged back in during playback.

If you can't tell which is which you have a quandary as a subjectivist:

Let's walk through the guess you presented:

'data has already traversed the noisy switch'

Using that we can say that the ultimate fidelity at that point and time is when you unplug the Ethernet cable. That that portion of the playback chain can not be improved upon.

So if you have a $90 switch feeding your playback stack, and you have someone randomly unplug and plug the Ethernet cable and you can't tell when that was, then logic dictates that a $1500 switch, or two of them, can't improve your outcome.

I've offered before to setup a multi-homed playback computer. I can even do multiple switches and do a HSRP configuration up stream. This will allow full on comparison of a $1800 setup ($1500 switch and $300 cable) and and $100 setup ($90 switch and $10 cable) in real time.

LOL!! two people already just told you:

20 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

My guess is the data has already traversed the noisy switch

20 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

This question never made sense: if the ethernet cable has transmitted ‘noise’ or jitter, etc to the streamer/DAC, and then the dac/streamer plays that in it’s buffer, won’t it have the same ‘sound’ as the just pulled cable if the buffer continues to play? Alwasy seemed like a straw argument to me...

Just now, plissken said:

.... This is why I'm a proponent of WiFi over either copper or optical Ethernet.

WiFi is the defacto, highest fidelity, connection available to the audiophile.

Hmmm.... great idea in theory, but in practice, the receiving end (streamer, etc) does it not have a Wi-Fi receptor or antenna to convert the internet signal, with its own issues & problems?

7 minutes ago, incus said:

He's saying that to prove the switch and cable have no effect on the sound, just pull the cable and hear that the buffered signal sounds the same. My point is that that doesn't prove what he's saying it does. It's logic, digital or analog. The signal hanging out in the buffer has already passed through the switch and the cable so of course it sounds the same. For the skeptics among you, there just needs to be a loaner program or some other way to test. Play track. Then insert switch and play track again. Then post about it. (Which is, by the way, what the OP did and reported back on - as frustratingly unspecific / fanboyish as those reports may have been...)

‘You are wasting your time. These pseudoscience guys never try anything. They already KNOW the outcome 

18 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

There is no winning on either side. Good discussions are great. Attempting to win or having arguments that go off the rails only end up in both sides losing. 

‘Any discussion without personal experience is just theory. I buy something very carefully as my budget is limited. Sometimes with good results, sometimes not so much. But I hate it when the scientists tell me that I am hallucinating when I say “this worked for me”

12 minutes ago, rickca said:

@PeterSt how do you account for the fact that lots of people are reporting that different switches sound better than others?  

‘They are surely hallucinating 😂😉. You know, things like placebo, trying to justify the purchase of an expensive, unnecessary item, absence of a scientific blind test with a panel of 100 people from street, things like that

1 minute ago, JohnSwenson said:

The pulling the plug thing is what actually got me looking into this.

A while back I had a prototype of one the streamers on the bench feeding a little inexpensive DAC ($110) feeding some inexpensive Senheiser headphones($69) when I accidentally unplugged the Ethernet cable and the increase in sound quality blew me away. There was about 1 minute of music stored in the streamer so I got 1 minute of REALLY good sounding music.

So yep, pulling the plug DID make a big difference, but it wasn't a "test", there was no expectation involved.

John S.

‘So please hurry up and take those measurements so that we can “prove” it to these pseudoscience a*holes!

32 minutes ago, plissken said:

How so? You haven't tried it. I mean it worked for me....

Or are you suddenly an expert on how IP data networks....work?

‘Because yours is simply stupid comment. Nothing to do with IP data network. Even less (if there is less than nothing) with Audio.

Have you tried it? Or you just KNOW? As an audio expert. 

Just now, plissken said:

I watch a lot of 1080P movies that I have ripped to H 264 and stream from my NAS.

What is the best model of switch that will increase my picture quality, better color microdynamics, and better resolution and detail.

‘Buy a better / bigger TV?