IGNORED

GentooPlayer

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

You're using the 64bit version...it wasn't complete yet...but soon I'll release the official version...it's ready...I just need to upload...

Thank you once more!!!

Would you suggest the 32-bit version about the  rpi3b+?

Also also would you suggest upgrading to rpi4?

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

64-bit images can be downloaded from here

there is no necessity to resize the root partition anymore.

At the first boot you give a pair of times gp-update... already I have fixed some errors in the webinterface... sure there will be more... :)

the webinterface can be reached at

ipgp:5000

or if you don't know the ip
hostname:5000

see

see

6 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

64-bit images can be downloaded from here

there is no necessity to resize the root partition anymore.

At the first boot you give a pair of times gp-update... already I have fixed some errors in the webinterface... sure there will be more... :)

Thanks for your hard work with this. I've been getting great results on an USBridge Signature with RoonBridge on the 32 bit version.

I thought that I would try the new 64 bit version this morning but I'm having a problem. I did the gp-update first and then chose USB Dac as the output and RoonBridge as the player…...as I did before in the 32 bit version. The problem is that RoonCore does not discover the player. I've tried multiple restarts of RoonBridge and reboots of both the Core and USBridge but to no avail. Any ideas?

Best wishes

Chris

2 hours ago, Chris_Shorter said:

Thanks for your hard work with this. I've been getting great results on an USBridge Signature with RoonBridge on the 32 bit version.

I thought that I would try the new 64 bit version this morning but I'm having a problem. I did the gp-update first and then chose USB Dac as the output and RoonBridge as the player…...as I did before in the 32 bit version. The problem is that RoonCore does not discover the player. I've tried multiple restarts of RoonBridge and reboots of both the Core and USBridge but to no avail. Any ideas?

Best wishes

Chris

No, not really...
what does that tell you

rc-service roonbridge status

and

aplay -l

?

I have a usbridge sig and tried the 32 bit beta version, loaded about a week ago.  

I heard pops/clicks with the default kernel, didn't try other kernels.

Installed my version of allo dietpi and no pops.

Note that I had to tweak the allo version of dietpi to fix the pops issue, for whatever reason the setup I have (usbridge sig to diyinhk xmos usb to i2s board to ian canada dac) seems very prone to pops.  So using the allo dietpi based on v6.18.14, I set arm freq = 800 and I don't have pops.  Before I did this, I would get a few pops per song.

With GP, some songs are pretty good, almost no pops, and some songs have a LOT of pops.

I thought I would migrate to the 64 bit version, and then try different kernels to see if any are better.

Randy

20 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

I have a usbridge sig and tried the 32 bit beta version, loaded about a week ago.  

I heard pops/clicks with the default kernel, didn't try other kernels.

Installed my version of allo dietpi and no pops.

Note that I had to tweak the allo version of dietpi to fix the pops issue, for whatever reason the setup I have (usbridge sig to diyinhk xmos usb to i2s board to ian canada dac) seems very prone to pops.  So using the allo dietpi based on v6.18.14, I set arm freq = 800 and I don't have pops.  Before I did this, I would get a few pops per song.

With GP, some songs are pretty good, almost no pops, and some songs have a LOT of pops.

I thought I would migrate to the 64 bit version, and then try different kernels to see if any are better.

Randy

try with a non-realtime kernel

2 hours ago, Chris_Shorter said:

Best wishes

Chris

Yeah, I found the problem....

gp-update
emerge RoonBridge

should solve

if emerge RoonBridge gives you some mistake
from 
chmod -R 755 /usr/portage

and repeat 

emerge RoonBridge

27 minutes ago, Loukiz said:

For people who do not need/use the USB ports of a Raspberry Pi 3B+ (works with other Pis as well, but USB controllers are a little different), there is a way to shut down the power to the USB ports completely using uhubctl (https://github.com/mvp/uhubctl).

To do this:

1. Login to the RPI via SSH
  2. git clone https://github.com/mvp/uhubctl
  3. cd uhubctl
  4. make uhubctl
  5. uhubctl     (this will show you a list of the USB controllers and ports)
  6. uhubctl -p 2 -a 0 -l 1-1.1 (this will turn off the power to "port 2" of hub "1-1.1"

7. DO NOT TURN OFF PORT 1 on either hub (this will turn off the ethernet and you will not be able to connect to your PPI until you reboot)

8. you can turn off multiple ports at once using "&&":  uhubctl -p 2 -a 0 -l 1-1.1 && uhubctl -p 3 -a 0 -l 1-1.1 && uhubctl -p 2 -a 0 -l 1-1 && uhubctl -p 3 -a 0 -l 1-1 && uhubctl -p 4 -a 0 -l 1-1 && uhubctl

9. The changes are removed with the next reboot

10. You can create a startup script via:    nano ~/etc/local.d/usboff.start  

image.thumb.png.69e4e9b85a2ff240bd292cd58c11c93f.png

image.thumb.png.cf95f0cf530a4ad34e4a8a910f9e2f7e.png

image.png.79877d08d5953a8658dcaea3600ebb0b.png

image.png.fd1afd6d4f21dbc89a24fe3b20bb9d3f.png

image.png.353b834a1571b0aae43091c1f28c28cf.png

image.thumb.png.fff40146b0f959a880e8968024f4af63.png

image.png

image.png

And to turn them back on?🙂

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

34 minutes ago, Loukiz said:

For people who do not need/use the USB ports of a Raspberry Pi 3B+ (works with other Pis as well, but USB controllers are a little different), there is a way to shut down the power to the USB ports completely using uhubctl (https://github.com/mvp/uhubctl).

To do this:

1. Login to the RPI via SSH
  2. git clone https://github.com/mvp/uhubctl
  3. cd uhubctl
  4. make uhubctl
  5. uhubctl     (this will show you a list of the USB controllers and ports)
  6. uhubctl -p 2 -a 0 -l 1-1.1 (this will turn off the power to "port 2" of hub "1-1.1"

7. DO NOT TURN OFF PORT 1 on either hub (this will turn off the ethernet and you will not be able to connect to your PPI until you reboot)

8. you can turn off multiple ports at once using "&&":  uhubctl -p 2 -a 0 -l 1-1.1 && uhubctl -p 3 -a 0 -l 1-1.1 && uhubctl -p 2 -a 0 -l 1-1 && uhubctl -p 3 -a 0 -l 1-1 && uhubctl -p 4 -a 0 -l 1-1 && uhubctl

9. The changes are removed with the next reboot

10. You can create a startup script via:    nano ~/etc/local.d/usboff.start  

image.thumb.png.69e4e9b85a2ff240bd292cd58c11c93f.png

image.thumb.png.cf95f0cf530a4ad34e4a8a910f9e2f7e.png

image.png.79877d08d5953a8658dcaea3600ebb0b.png

image.png.fd1afd6d4f21dbc89a24fe3b20bb9d3f.png

image.png.353b834a1571b0aae43091c1f28c28cf.png

image.thumb.png.fff40146b0f959a880e8968024f4af63.png

image.png

image.png

That binary is already installed.

4 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

That binary is already installed.

Pi's have some special considerations for this program.

This thread contains some useful info

https://lb.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93463&start=25

Most interesting part (to me) is that power out of the USB ports are tied together by traces, so you can't turn off power to an individual port.  Either all on or all off.

One other thing is that this turns off USB power coming out of the USB port, so if you have nothing plugged into the port then it really won't do anything.

Thank you so much for the new images.  Got the RPi4 one working in ram mode.  I am fairly certain the web interface 'select DAC' numbering is off by one.  I was choosing 44 for the HiFi Berry Digi + Pro and that was not working.  Via SSH and gp-menu route the number is 43 and that worked.

On another note, I think the HIFi Berry is the one to select since it works but I have a Pi2AES which is not on the list.  Would it be better to use the Pi2 DAC option?

Going to donate now 🙂

2 hours ago, askat1988 said:

Thank you so much for the new images.  Got the RPi4 one working in ram mode.  I am fairly certain the web interface 'select DAC' numbering is off by one.  I was choosing 44 for the HiFi Berry Digi + Pro and that was not working.  Via SSH and gp-menu route the number is 43 and that worked.

On another note, I think the HIFi Berry is the one to select since it works but I have a Pi2AES which is not on the list.  Would it be better to use the Pi2 DAC option?

Going to donate now 🙂

the menu list and the web interface list are different than one place...

Anyway, there was an error in the interface for that Dac that I fixed...thanks for the heads up...
It should work for you there now.....
gp-update

you also tried 

Pi2Design 502DAC
Pi2Design 502DAC PRO
in the end these dac hats
many use the same driver

you could also try sabre (1)

Just some info here to help out.

The website is: http://gentooplayer.com

There is a handy tips page: http://gentooplayer.com/tips

Also the news page has some relevant info:  http://gentooplayer.com/news

The new 64bit system seems to be working RATHER WELL

I have it loaded up on two systems (Allo USBridge Sig) as Squeezelite player for Roon.  Loaded in RAM.  

I did my configuration from SSH.  I had some trouble with the webUI so I will debug that later.  I could not get things playing right.

NOTE if you have multiple players you have to change the /ect/conf.d/squeezlite config file and change the MAC address at the end.  Roon will not find the players properly)

NOTE:  Run the gp-update

I am really liking what I am hearing!

OH and there is a place to donate some money to the developer on the main page!!

I donated!

Bob

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

Just some info here to help out.

The website is: http://gentooplayer.com

There is a handy tips page: http://gentooplayer.com/tips

Also the news page has some relevant info:  http://gentooplayer.com/news

The new 64bit system seems to be working RATHER WELL

I have it loaded up on two systems (Allo USBridge Sig) as Squeezelite player for Roon.  Loaded in RAM.  

I did my configuration from SSH.  I had some trouble with the webUI so I will debug that later.  I could not get things playing right.

NOTE if you have multiple players you have to change the /ect/conf.d/squeezlite config file and change the MAC address at the end.  Roon will not find the players properly)

NOTE:  Run the gp-update

I am really liking what I am hearing!

OH and there is a place to donate some money to the developer on the main page!!

I donated!

Bob

Hi Bob

How does it compare to Euphony/Stylus?

15 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

Yeah, I found the problem....

gp-update
emerge RoonBridge

should solve

if emerge RoonBridge gives you some mistake
from 
chmod -R 755 /usr/portage

and repeat 

emerge RoonBridge

Thanks very much - that worked fine for me without needing the second part.

The rest of the stuff that I had working in 32 bit is also fine and I'm enjoying some rather good Bach!

Many thanks again

Chris 

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

question:
could it be interesting to switch, fast enough, between different versions of alsa?

I never tested this, but do they sound different?  The kernels already make quite a difference so I guess more sound tuning options would always be welcome :) 

9 hours ago, tims said:

Hi Bob

How does it compare to Euphony/Stylus?

Tims,

I have not been using Euphony for a while now. I am currently using the Allo USBridge Signature devices as endpoints and either my NUC as a Roon ROCK core or a Mac Mini as an Audirvana “core.” Since my review of the Allo, I have been using MoOde OS. The sound of that pairing of hardware and OS has been excellent sound quality-wise. I some issues with the stability of the Roon + MoOde software, so I have been looking around for other players. I tried the 32bit release of Gentoo Player, and it came close to MoOde to my ear on my headphone system, but not on the Kii Three system. Now that @antonellocaroli has released his 64bit version, and I am listening to it. On the headphone system, it piqued my interest. I flashed another card and set up in the Kii Three System. I only have a couple of hours of listening, and I have not done an A/B test with MoOde yet. As of right now, I feel that Gentoo Player may have the edge on MoOde. After we get the house back in order from the holiday, I have some more listening time this weekend.

I am sure that I need to optimize things a bit more with the NUC (Roon Rock) + Allo USB Sig (Gentoo Player Squeezelite), but it sounds good, and I have what appears to be a stable software system.

I may go back and install Gentoo Player on my Xeon box and give it a listen. The problem is it needs the extra hardware around it to clean up the USB and Ethernet. The Allo USBridge Signature does that pretty darn well!

23 minutes ago, bobfa said:

I have not been using Euphony for a while now.

Why did you stop using Euphony and decide to try some other things?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's