IGNORED

GentooPlayer

1 minute ago, antonellocaroli said:

you unfortunately etcher does not install on internal hard drives ...

to install on a ssd you have to continue in this way:

boot the pc with a live linux (any) put on usbstick, it could also be gentooplayer-xfce put on usbstick with etcher...

download the image

open a terminal and become root (in gentoo to become root just give the command "su" and then type the password)

then take over

xzcat /path-to-file/file.img.xz > /dev/sdX && sync

sdX is the disk where to install

example sda, sdb, sdc, etc.

Be careful to choose the right disc... the disc is overwritten...

Thx! Same way like Audio-Linux I see

On 1/3/2020 at 2:54 AM, matthias said:

Hi Bob,

please can you shed some light on how big the impact of the "core" server (Audirvana, Roon) is in a combo with the Allo USBridge Signature.

Is there a SQ difference between a MacBook Pro and a Xeon Server for example as a core when they both play to an Allo UBS downstream?

Thanks

Matt

TLDR: for now, I say no. "BUT YMMV". I will start a thread on this subject as it is a bit OT for the Gentoo Player thread.

Matt,

I am trying a couple of combinations now with Gentoo Player. I had done most of this with MoOde, and I had a lot of stability issues.

I setup MoOde as either Squeezelite or UPnP for Roon or Audirvana. I will conduct similar tests with Gentoo Player shortly.

The MacMini is running Catalina and the latest version of Audirvana. (I have also tested with my iMac) The only "special treatment" is the CableMatters Cat 8. I have set up my fan-less NUC with my HDPLEX 200 supply and a longer run of the Cat 8 cable. The NUC is running Roon ROCK. 

I can move the Xeon running Euphony into place with the NUC to test with later. 

My music located on a QNAP NAS

I have been swapping between Audirvana and Roon with a reboot of the endpoints for a few weeks. I "think" that Roon on the NUC might sound better. Now is that the server, or is it the render.  During this testing, I was dealing with a lot of problems in MoOde, where it and Roon do not work together well. Tracks were not starting, stopping randomly. Now the MoOde kernel still has clicks and pops, but I have been able to minimize them with a couple of settings. (Run in RAM and turn on Performance Mode in MoOde)
---------------
With Gentoo Player, I have only been testing with Roon. By going to the 4.14 kernel, I have none of the issues with clicks and pops, and the system has been stable. I have to setup UPnP on Gentoo Player next to test Audirvana. I will be re-imaging the endpoints to the latest version before I test.

-----------------
As a side note:
I did a short experiment with the Sonore OpticalModule and fiber networking back to the switch from the Allo USBrigde Sig. While I did not spend a lot of time with it, I am pretty sure I do not hear any difference. With my Xeon server/endpoint, there was a noticeable difference. 

RJF

6 minutes ago, bobfa said:

I am starting the project up updating to the new release and some testing of the various kernel instances.  Is there a key code to decipher all of the different kernel selections?

You mean what do the names mean?
What settings do they refer to in the kernel?

if that's what you mean, no, there's no code...
but they refer to very specific settings in the kernel, which I decipher at compilation time.....

8 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

You mean what do the names mean?
What settings do they refer to in the kernel?

if that's what you mean, no, there's no code...
but they refer to very specific settings in the kernel, which I decipher at compilation time.....

I am interested in what the settings due if you can tell us.

Hi @bobfa, running GentooPlayer on my Allo bridge (1st gen), Dietpi doesn't support the 2nd gen Denafrips board, I think GP will. Question to you, it is definitely worth it getting an Allo US bridge Sig as an endpoint running GP (or Moode)?

Another question @bobfa and @zackthedog you are mentioning servers on your posts but in reality you are using this GP on endpoints, servers are still running on their previous hardware correct?

still updating my GP install, it takes forever

@antonellocaroli

Hi Antonello, I went down this route

- Burn with Etcher to SD or USB
- Gparted to expand partition
- Boot
- correct the date with #date MMDDhhmmYYYY
- gp-update
- emerge-webrsync (takes a long time)
- emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse @world
- emerge --depclean
- revdep-rebuild

I guess that would get all the latest updates including kernel which might be needed to be downgraded later on to avoid skips etc

I think I'm the only one with the old Allo

25 minutes ago, luisma said:

Hi @bobfa, running GentooPlayer on my Allo bridge (1st gen), Dietpi doesn't support the 2nd gen Denafrips board, I think GP will. Question to you, it is definitely worth it getting an Allo US bridge Sig as an endpoint running GP (or Moode)?

Another question @bobfa and @zackthedog you are mentioning servers on your posts but in reality you are using this GP on endpoints, servers are still running on their previous hardware correct?

I have completely changed setups twice since about August 2019

Right now it is my NUC running Roon Rock to two USBridge Sig endpoints both running Gentoo Player.  (USB to Kii Three and Hugo 2)

I am in the process of some kernel testing and I am looking at moving off of the NAS for storage to an 8TB drive connected to the server.

I will also (as the time allows) testing Audirvana via UPnP to the endpoints.   This is more of interest than need.

1 hour ago, luisma said:

Yes, here the Allo USB Sig is an endpoint for Mac Mini running Audirvana and NAS music storage.

On 1/2/2020 at 8:08 PM, zackthedog said:

I had a *very* expensive tricked-out server I built over the course of six months.  This is better.

so my take is you don't use this server anymore but the mac mini correct? and before the expensive server was connected directly to your DAC and now you use the MAC + the endpoint (sig in this case)

1 hour ago, luisma said:

so my take is you don't use this server anymore but the mac mini correct? and before the expensive server was connected directly to your DAC and now you use the MAC + the endpoint (sig in this case)

Actually the computer was an endpoint like the Allo USB Sig, just much more expensive and less effective.

4 hours ago, luisma said:

- Gparted to expand partition

in the last images, no longer needed, it does so automatically at the first start. (V. 27/12/19 or higher)

- correct the date with #date MMDDhhmmYYYY

in the last images, no longer needed,(V. 27/12/19 or higher)

- emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse @world
- emerge --depclean
- revdep-rebuild

Correct, but this updates the whole system, and above all it is not convenient to do it on arm architecture.

In fact, you better stop it. (CTRL+C), if you're doing it on Arm.
I update the whole system from time to time and then release the image.
I've included a feature to update only what we actually need.
I'm adding a function to save the settings, and eventually restore them on another image.

I guess that would get all the latest updates including kernel 

no, it doesn't update kernels.
For kernels, I need to add a function.

for the sparky usb-bridge, I'm working on a new image, but I need a few days.
I don't know if it supports the 2nd gen Denafrips board, probably not.
The sparky has a really old kernel, which can't be updated, the sources have never been updated.

5 hours ago, zackthedog said:

I managed to load a NAS folder to GP, no problem.  Very handy.  But I'm stumped on how to create a Music folder on the main SD itself.  Do I have to create a new partition?  And will I be able to connect to it via smb?  Thanks.

you better make a directory right in the root.
ex.
mkdir /Music
and then you copy the files

cp -r /mountpoinusbstick/dirmusic /Music

or
cp -r /mountpointusbstick/* /music

or 

cp -r /mnt/samba/dirmusic /music

etc

or if the music is on another linux or osx pc

scp -r /path/to/local/dir user@remotehost:/path/to/remote/dir

scp -r  /path/to/local/dir root@ip-gentooplayer:/Music

it seems that something is not OK

can't select DAC, Kernel, etc...

i get this msg: "Failed to load script info. Try to reload the page. Error message:
Failed to connect to the server"

I suppose I will have to re-burn the img?

Apart from this. Whatever I tried I couldn't play native 192KHz files with Allo DigioNe. Up to 96 OK.

I use Sq.lite R2. May be for DigiOne is better to use Squeezelite?

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

11 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

I suppose I will have to re-burn the img?

no,  you gave gp-update twice?

Apart from this. Whatever I tried I couldn't play native 192KHz files with Allo DigioNe. Up to 96 OK.

how did you deal with R2?

can you post the result of the alsacap command or the systeminfo screen?

what do you send to squeezelite-R2 from?

51 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

no,  you gave gp-update twice?

how did you deal with R2?

can you post the result of the alsacap command or the systeminfo screen?

what do you send to squeezelite-R2 from?

Yes I gave the gp-update twice!

I will give the alsacap result a little bit later! I'm out now.

I send to GP from lms running in another rpi3B with piCore. 

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

5 hours ago, DomieMic65 said:

Yes I gave the gp-update twice!

I will give the alsacap result a little bit later! I'm out now.

I send to GP from lms running in another rpi3B with piCore. 

alsacap output:

GentooPlayerRpi64 ~ # alsacap
*** Scanning for playback devices ***
Card 0, ID `sndallodigione', name `snd_allo_digione'
  Device 0, ID `Allo DigiOne HiFi wm8804-spdif-0', name `', 1 subdevices (1 available)
    2 channels, sampling rate 32000..192000 Hz
    Sample formats: S16_LE, S24_LE
    Buffer size range from 64 to 131072
    Period size range from 32 to 65536

i gave gp-update once more 

it seems that something was installed but again not all the web inteface menus work

I can play music though

I made some settings trough ssh:

1) ramsystem (it works but can't enable ramsave)

2) profile (it seems that it does the procedure to change but actually it doesn't. It is stuck to the P1 I had set some time before)

After the above the web gui doesn't load!

13 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

I made some settings trough ssh:

1) ramsystem (it works but can't enable ramsave)

2) profile (it seems that it does the procedure to change but actually it doesn't. It is stuck to the P1 I had set some time before)

After the above the web gui doesn't load!

Some of the ramdisk modes include the files necessary for the web interface (4, 6, and 9 below); others don't (3, 5, 7, and 8).  See below.

Were you running mode 4, 6, or 9?

[3]  Ramdisk mode 1 - Squeezelite, Squeezelite-R2, Mpd, Networkaudiod, Upmpdcli

[4]  Ramdisk mode 2 - Squeezelite, Squeezelite-R2, Mpd, Networkaudiod, Upmpdcli, Web-Interface

[5]  Ramdisk mode 3 - Squeezelite, Squeezelite-R2, Mpd, Networkaudiod, Upmpdcli, RoonBridge

[6]  Ramdisk mode 4 - Squeezelite, Squeezelite-R2, Mpd, Networkaudiod, Upmpdcli, RoonBridge, Web-Interface

[7]  Ramdisk mode 5 - Squeezelite, Squeezelite-R2, Mpd, Networkaudiod, Upmpdcli, LMS

[8]  Ramdisk mode 6 - Squeezelite, Squeezelite-R2, Mpd, Networkaudiod, Upmpdcli, BubbleUpnp

[9]  Ramdisk mode 7 - Squeezelite, Squeezelite-R2, Mpd, Networkaudiod, Upmpdcli, BubbleUpnp, Web-Interface

A huge THANKS to Antonello for his time!!!!!!!!