IGNORED

GentooPlayer

@bobfa @randytsuch @Chris_Shorter

can you try this?
is a 4.14 kernel not RT

mount /boot
cd /tmp
wget https://github.com/antonellocaroli/gp64-kernel/releases/download/1.0/test.tar.bz2
tar xvjpf test.tar.bz2 --xattrs --numeric-owner -C /

Wait a while, the tar sometimes seems to be over, but sometimes it's not...

restart

and try to listen and see if there's any pop

@bobfa but do you have pop too?

what is the default kernel?

Nr please

it seems that I can't play native 192KHz files

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

5 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

can you try this?
is a 4.14 kernel

mount /boot
cd /tmp
wget https://github.com/antonellocaroli/gp64-kernel/releases/download/1.0/test.tar.bz2

Wait a while, sometimes it seems like it's over, but sometimes it's not...

restart

how long is a while?

After the tar command, it returned the prompt quickly (seconds), and seems to be ready for a reset

8 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

can you try this?
is a 4.14 kernel not RT

mount /boot
cd /tmp

restart

I have these little clicks on both of my DACs. Chord Hugo2 and the Kii Three.  

I will go try this on the Hugo2 shortly.  I have to take it out of RAMDISK first just to simplify things.  I have had it on several of the OS variants I have tested on the Allo USBridge Sig

20 minutes ago, bobfa said:

I have these little clicks on both of my DACs. Chord Hugo2 and the Kii Three.  

I will go try this on the Hugo2 shortly.  I have to take it out of RAMDISK first just to simplify things.  I have had it on several of the OS variants I have tested on the Allo USBridge Sig

4.14.114-GentooPlayer-4.14-TEST-v8+

───────────────────────────────────────

GentooPlayer | 21:53 | mer 01/01/2020

v1.6      | Raspberry Pi 3B/3B+ (aarch64)

eth0       | 192.168.1.235

I have about 30 min of listening to the above kernel on my headphone system with the Roon to Gentoo Player (Squeezelite) on a USBridge Sig playing on a Hugo 2 via USB.  I have not heard any of the clicks I was hearing on the 4.19 RT kernel.

I thought that the kernel bug was in 4.19.xx and later.    https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/3204

I am pretty sure that the 32bit kernel had the problem also.   

I will SSH into my other device and load this kernel up on my Kii Three system to test there.

6 hours ago, randytsuch said:

how long is a while?

After the tar command, it returned the prompt quickly (seconds), and seems to be ready for a reset

I have the 4.14 kernel running on both of my Allo USBridge Sig devices to USB DACs and I am not hearing the clicks I had with the 4.19 RT kernel.  

I know that a couple of other Linux variants are not using the RT kernel any more. I think they said that the new standard kernel was “OK”???  I do not have direct knowledge.

Bob

2 hours ago, bobfa said:

Ho il kernel 4.14 in esecuzione su entrambi i miei dispositivi Allo USBridge Sig su DAC USB e non sento i clic che ho avuto con il kernel 4.19 RT.  

So che un paio di altre varianti di Linux non usano più il kernel RT. Penso che abbiano detto che il nuovo kernel standard era "OK" ??? Non ho conoscenza diretta.

peso

bobfa 
but have you tried the last non RT kernel?
are all kernels 1-9 and the 24
then there are also 2 RT v.4.14, which are 18,20 and 21.

12 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

can you try this?
is a 4.14 kernel not RT

mount /boot
cd /tmp

restart

Hi

This worked fine for me. Completely clear of clicks.

Many thanks

Chris

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

My thought is that Allo would have been better off designing a usb-bridge as a hat for rpi4.....
Using the lan of rpi4.
I got out of the problems they had with the sparky board and got into other problems.

What are the other problems? Are they all to do with the ASIX USB to Ethernet driver?

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

42 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

I don't know exactly....

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/2942

Thanks for that. If the driver from ASIX that works with ARM doesn’t use usbnet I wonder if it is just the source of an older pre-usbnet USB to Ethernet driver. The most recent copyright date for it in the header is 2006. I can see why Raspbian wouldn’t want to merge the patch as it is never going to be in upstream Linux.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

I loaded the new (really old) version kernel again last night, and verified it pops in my system.

Then tried something else.

Confirmed that kernel 6 was the best one, it has the least number and lowest volume pops.

Started trying the Profile Select options.

I think 1 was fine, but did most of listening at

Kernel 6, "Profile Select" = 2

With this selected, no pops.

I guess the combination I have is rare, usbridge sig connected to a diyinhk usb to i2s card and that's why my system acts differently here.

I may try the other kernels, and then try different profiles with them, but I also may just listen to music for a while lol

FYI, to get allo/dietpi to work with no pops, here is what I did

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/337859-shanti-dual-lps-5v-3a-5v-1-5a-92.html#post5963277

Randy

10 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

FYI, to get allo/dietpi to work with no pops, here is what I did

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/337859-shanti-dual-lps-5v-3a-5v-1-5a-92.html#post5963277

Randy

Did you try the same thing in gentoo?

command confset

but still, it wouldn't be a solution...

but I also may just listen to music for a while lol

😃 yeeees

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 4:52 PM, bobfa said:

I am currently using the Allo USBridge Signature devices as endpoints and either my NUC as a Roon ROCK core or a Mac Mini as an Audirvana “core."

Hi Bob,

did you compare SQ of Roon "core" vs Audirvana "core" in this set-up?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

Did you try the same thing in gentoo?

command confset

but still, it wouldn't be a solution...

😃 yeeees

I didn't know how to do it in gentoo.

Will give that a shot too.

Its been my solution for now with dietup, but I'm hoping when pi releases a new kernel this will be fixed.

Randy

37 minutes ago, matthias said:

Hi Bob,

did you compare SQ of Roon "core" vs Audirvana "core" in this set-up?

Thanks

Matt

@matthiasI have not done a good comparison but here is the result I have so far:

With Audirvana to MoOde in UPnP vs Roon in Squeezelite I have a very hard time telling the difference.  I have not tried Audirvana in UPnP.  I am in the process of trying to setup the same test in Gentoo Player.  

I also ran A/B on MoOde between Roon Endpoint and Squeezelite.  And Squeezelite was better.  I also need to test this with Gentoo Player.

WHEW.  

I would have never tried Gentoo Player if I was not having trouble with MoOde and the developer was not listening.  I got prodded to give it a try and I am very happy I did.

Bob

Just a couple of things a I seem to be following Bob along the same path.  I'm using the 64 bit, 4.19.71-GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-NOGRAPH-EUP100RCU-rt24+ kernel version.

1. Using Roon into Squeezelite I don't get any of the skips and glitches and track skips I was getting with other players.

2. I'm playing through the Allo USBridge Signature and DigiOne Signature spdif output and don't get any of the pops that people using the USB output seem to suffer.

Oh, and the sound is very good indeed.  I'm too am very happy.

Alan

1 hour ago, the_bat said:

Just a couple of things a I seem to be following Bob along the same path.  I'm using the 64 bit, 4.19.71-GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-NOGRAPH-EUP100RCU-rt24+ kernel version.

1. Using Roon into Squeezelite I don't get any of the skips and glitches and track skips I was getting with other players.

2. I'm playing through the Allo USBridge Signature and DigiOne Signature spdif output and don't get any of the pops that people using the USB output seem to suffer.

Oh, and the sound is very good indeed.  I'm too am very happy.

Alan

Hi Alan

I was using the same kernel but to USB out via Roon. I got irregular faint clicks that were audible only during quiet passages. I did wonder if I would have noticed if I wasn’t blessed (cursed?) by such a quiet listening environment.

Chris