IGNORED

GentooPlayer

Happy New Year to all!!!

Two things:

1) On my rpi3b+ I use Allo DigiOne along with my USB DAC.

Having plugged the USB as it seems it's not possible to select DigiOne as output!

Should I unplug the USB in order Gentoo to "see" the DigiOne?

I admit I didn't try it yet! 

2) Is it possible to "play" with SoX for upsampling in S.lite R2?

Thank you!!!

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

35 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

Happy New Year to all!!!

Two things:

1) On my rpi3b+ I use Allo DigiOne along with my USB DAC.

Having plugged the USB as it seems it's not possible to select DigiOne as output!

Should I unplug the USB in order Gentoo to "see" the DigiOne?

I admit I didn't try it yet! 

2) Is it possible to "play" with SoX for upsampling in S.lite R2?

Thank you!!!

Edit: with the USB unplugged I can select DigiOne!

So having both plugged the default option to select is USB? 

Downloaded and running the 191231 img

The default alsa is 1.0.29?

I tried enabling MPD/upmpdcli/bubbleupnp in order to connect to Minimserver running on my NAS but the Lumin/Kazoo apps I use on my iPad (prefer Lumin) for remote couldn't see the Gentoo as Lumin. I only managed to play some files using bubbleupnp app in Android phone.
Any idea about what is wrong?

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

19 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

The default alsa is 1.0.29?

no, is 1.2.1.2 

you can't do resample co R2

you can do squeezelite no R2, but keep in mind that queezelite only accepts pcm or dsd as input formats, for my choice of compilation, so you should use C-3PO on lms, to send pcm...

a guide to squuezelite controls http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/squeezelite.1.html

have you checked the status of bubbleupnp?

https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/docs/config_overview.html

https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/docs/config_status.html

you have to pass the internet check test...if you don't pass it you have to open those ports on the router for the ip of the pc where bubbleupnp is running.....

16 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

no, is 1.2.1.2 

you can't do resample co R2

you can do squeezelite no R2, but keep in mind that queezelite only accepts pcm or dsd as input formats, for my choice of compilation, so you should use C-3PO on lms, to send pcm...

a guide to squuezelite controls http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/squeezelite.1.html

have you checked the status of bubbleupnp?

https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/docs/config_overview.html

https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/docs/config_status.html

you have to pass the internet check test...if you don't pass it you have to open those ports on the router for the ip of the pc where bubbleupnp is running.....

thank you for such an instant reply!

I had no idea about the bubbleupnp status! But..

Before I discovered LMS/S.lite I was playing with the setup I describe above with another software (Archphile, not in development any more) with no issues so I guess there was/is no problem? No? I will check the links you provided! 

30 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

grazie per una risposta così immediata!

Non avevo idea dello stato di bubbleupnp! Ma..

Prima di scoprire LMS / S.lite stavo giocando con l'installazione che descrivo sopra con un altro software (Archphile, non più in fase di sviluppo) senza problemi, quindi suppongo che ci fosse / non c'è problema? No? Controllerò i link che hai fornito! 

I'm not sure about the ports on the router,

but surely the media render needs to be configured...

image.thumb.png.ce79617c4bb3cc0e3d4a87c1ec280342.png

30 minutes ago, Loukiz said:

I tested the performance of the new kernels with cyclictest. Most important are the numbers on the right side for each of the cores, showing the maximum latency after 100000 cycles (4 cores, Raspberry Pi 3B+). See attached results.

Standard (non-real time kernels) cannot achieve the same latency performance, as can be seen. However, the standard real time kernel does not seem to perform that great either. 

There is also a difference in sound, at least in my system, some kernels seem to sound more analytical, while others tend to sound a little warmer (may also vary from system to system). 

image.thumb.png.a38b8487e66ed7189eb08c372b3925c3.png

image.thumb.png.372c0a5a7c0e5706251e4d121b7d5374.png

image.thumb.png.a3e74443a8c327cbe61bc5f4286d33e1.png

image.thumb.png.04f4dd74b66626f1c62e06298d57eb95.png

image.thumb.png.e298f7d674401ae3954f8bd124ec37b3.png

image.thumb.png.43267122a09420d23063a41324299ba1.png

image.thumb.png.1b42ba92e87c0e91cde31c01dbde2bc6.png

image.thumb.png.dc5ca4303f7c1e26fad8c2dd096669fd.png

image.thumb.png.45e6222226647ee389158cb9e75199c8.png

image.thumb.png.54d3badbe7e39a434b2e8fab598e997f.png

image.png

i don't know if i read something wrong but (some of) the kernels above have different names from those in the 191231 img

can't find them in the options

5 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

i don't know if i read something wrong but (some of) the kernels above have different names from those in the 191231 img

can't find them in the options

the names in the options are a little simplified, e.g.:   

4.19.71-GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-NOGRAPH-RCU-rt24+     =        GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-NOGRAPH-RCU

I uninstalled everything I did not need (only kept upmpdcli and mpd), I'm currently liking the "4.19.71-GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-NOGRAPH-RCU-rt24+" kernel the most (sounds a little warmer in my system).

With RamSystem activated I still have 478MB of total 969MB Free memory. RamSystem makes a huge difference, bigger than any Kernel change.

The sound is great, thanks antonello! :D 

The only thing thats missing from my perspective would be some kind of update script for the future or fixed settings file where you can put it all your preferred options. This way you would not have to set all changes again for a new image, e.g.:

Options.file (simply store on flashed SD card)

Profile: 1

Kernel: 4.19.71-GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-NOGRAPH-RCU-rt24+

FixedIP: ...

Gateway: ...

Subnet: ....

PlayersToInstall: mpd,upmpdcli

PlayersToRemove: squeezelite,roonbridge,web,...

(maybe just install the needed players, this would avoid having to remove them).

something like this :) 

image.thumb.png.7dd9a2d86eb2816cd157c3878b84c323.png

image.thumb.png.dd5eb91b3254aa1f64263b7478063a3a.png

Options.file (simply store on flashed SD card)

Profile: 1

Kernel: 4.19.71-GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-NOGRAPH-RCU-rt24+

FixedIP: ...

Gateway: ...

Subnet: ....

this is something you could do....and also useful.

PlayersToInstall: mpd,upmpdcli

PlayersToRemove: squeezelite,roonbridge,web,...

(maybe just install the needed players, this would avoid having to remove them).

not installing the players does not recover much space...

This morning I downloaded the 64 bit version, burned to a card and ran it.

Was easy to get setup and running.  

Did a couple gp-reset commands, then selected usb dac and enabled NAD

Tried kernals 1-9 and 23, get popping with all of them.  Some were better than others.

Also tried turning off HDMI

Wondering if tweaking profile could help fix the pops?

I have an issue with setting the CPU frequency, there is no way to limit the maximum frequency with the performance governor and the ondemand governor does not seem to change with editing the minimum frequency. 

I don't know if this is possible but ideally one could change the frequency of individual cores to keep the overall temperature a bit lower (maximum frequency for the isolated cores with the players). 

12 minutes ago, Loukiz said:

I have an issue with setting the CPU frequency, there is no way to limit the maximum frequency with the performance governor and the ondemand governor does not seem to change with editing the minimum frequency. 

I don't know if this is possible but ideally one could change the frequency of individual cores to keep the overall temperature a bit lower (maximum frequency for the isolated cores with the players). 

did you try using the cpu-governor command?

1 minute ago, antonellocaroli said:

did you try using the cpu-governor command?

yes, if I set maximum frequency to 1200MHZ it will accept it but somehow the cpu will stay at 1400MHZ anyway.

For Ondemand, if I set 1200 as a minimum, it will still stay at 600 MHz. 

Not too important at the moment, as I can keep it at 1400 MHz with Performance governor. But individual frequencies per core would be awesome, if possible ;)