IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

16 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

you need to mount the data disc in the media directory eg. /media/windows ( doesn't have to be labelled windows)

you just need to edit the fstab with nano no need for all the mount commands then save and reboot.

add this line to the fstab:

UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx /media/windows ntfs-3g nofail,noatime,uid=audiolinux,gid=users 0 0

substitute the x's with your drives UUID

use the command: lsblk -f

Good stuff, but first he needs to partition his disk, and format the partition. His screenshot showed the disk is unformatted.

image.png

Any quick shortcut way to do that - say if you just want a single partition to span the whole disk, formatted ext4? Or does one have to go through the various steps of firing up parted,  making a label, making a partition, making a filesystem on that partition etc?

34 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

Sorry, I was referring to the original tweak from the mother "A novel way..." thread (OG == Original Gangster ... I blame my teenager for polluting my vocabulary ;)

I did start to work my way through the mother thread, but there is a LOT there.  I'm currently holding out for an  EtherGen (or equivalent), but I'm tempted to do some bridging experiments, just for the learning.  I appreciate the guides!

Hi Ray,

Yes, as Leo points out, please do use the first post index as a way to make some sense of the OG (I like it!) thread.

BTW - how is the squeezeilte parameter optimization going? I still need to try your settings. So is this still the high water mark for you:

1. -b 4097152:97152
  2. -a 1000000:4::

?

6 minutes ago, Bricki said:

Has anyone managed to get the toslink output working on the NUC/AL combo? 

I remember reading that Roy got it working and I am searching for the post but can't find it.... It's buried somewhere in the novel way thread... I can't actually remember now if he got the toslink on the nuc board working or if he used a usb to toslink adapter or something... If anyone can remember the post or has some experience that would be great ??

Actually, @romaz did not get the Toslink output to work on his NUCs, either with his early experiments with Adrian's Dream OS, or more recently with Audio Linux. See his post from the massive thread:

On 11/11/2018 at 7:16 PM, romaz said:

Regarding Toslink and SPDIF, as most know, these NUCs have no SPDIF outputs and with headless AudioLinux, the Toslink outputs on the NUCs that have Toslink outputs are non-operational.  For those looking for an inexpensive way to output to a SPDIF or Toslink DAC, there is the option of using something like this which I own:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KAU0WO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1

It turns out the HDMI outputs in these NUCs can output digital audio (you would have to turn on this feature in the BIOS) and using this Kanex HDMI to Toslink/SPDIF device, it works very well (up to 24/192 PCM).  In fact, using an optical HDMI cable and powering this Kanex unit with my LPS-1 (set to 5V), SQ is quite good going out to either SPDIF coax or Toslink.  Having said that, USB still sounds better resolved and more finessed but who knows what might happen if the clocks on this cheap unit were replaced.  

Sounds like there are enough options on how to save a USB disk to an image.

Just for completeness, if you're on MacOS, you can also just use the built-in Disk Utility application. The quirk there is it saves the image as a DMG file, which can optionally be compressed and/or encrypted (which doesn't change the file suffix).

If you're going to burn a replacement stick from the Mac, you're done. If you want an IMG file, you have to use a command line utility hdiutil.

4 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

The 3 realtime tests (as root. you can use more cycles than 10000 if you want)

1) cyclictest -q -l 10000 -m -Sp98 -i100 -d0

2) hackbench -l 10000 &>/dev/null && cyclictest -q -l 10000 -m -Sp98 -i100 -d0

3) hwlatdetect --duration=60 --threshold=15

The first 2 are executed if you type

rttest

What are we looking for in terms of desired results?

Low average latency? Low variance? Both?

7 minutes ago, rickca said:

I got my NUC7PJYH to boot with an LPS-1.2 set to 12V.  All I did was disable SpeedStep, SATA and onboard audio.

The interesting thing is it works with an LPS-1.2 if I use the two USB3 ports in the rear for my USB flash drive and the USB cable to my DAC.  If I use a rear USB3 port for the USB cable to my DAC, but a front USB3 port for the USB flash drive, the NUC will not boot with the LPS-1.2.

Actually, the USB cable goes to a Berkeley Alpha USB which uses bus power only for the dirty input side.

Which suggests it's all about the current draw from the DAC or DDC on USB. Bus powered DACs will probably not work.

1 hour ago, Monge said:

I’m trying to stream Tidal with IPeng App to my CJYH diskless with Squeezelite+LMS on this machine only.

I have installed LMS and Squeezelite and started the services and rebooted.

But then I open Ipeng on my IPAD and click PlayerName I see audiolinux for a short while and then it disappear and it says “No Players and Music Sources (Servers) found. 

I did register ny IPAD on mysqueezebox.com and added Tidal app and some radiostations here.

Do I need to add a plugin on AL headless (0.8) and how?

I have the Ipeng app, but do I need to buy Ipeng UE also?

Did you configure squeezelite by:

• running squeezelite -l to identify the name of the audio device,
  • then, editing the squeezelite.conf file to match that name? 

As far as I know, this is a manual step that needs to be done.

5 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Getting setup for NUC testing.  I have the NUC7i7DNBE  board on order from SimplyNUC (I hope) and the Asaka X7D is also ordered. I have the license for AL... I wanted to ask about RAM for Headless endpoint. I have not ordered it yet. I have seen a couple of references to 4GB and some that say 16Gb.  I am slightly confused.  I also need some USB sticks just to be safe.  32gb overkill?

The plan is to test A/B with my UltraRendu.  I will be using my JS-2 Power supply and if I need I have an LPS-1.2.  

This feels like we need an AL/NUC Wiki???  I can try to host one if we need.

Bob,

Here's the rationale about RAM:

• More memory consumes more power
    • more noise
    • more demand from PSU
  • Roon Bridge seems to run fine on just 4GB RAM, even with AL booted into RAM
  • I use 8GB, because it enables me to experiment with up to 4GB of buffer space for squeezelite
  • I see no reason to go beyond 8GB for an endpoint for now.

As for USB sticks, yes definitely get a few spares. I have had good luck with these: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Flair-Flash-Drive/dp/B015CH1JIW

I look forward to your findings! Please post your listening impressions comparing with the UR over on the novel thread.

16 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

Quick question for those that have been playing with LMS as their music server.  I'm finding it plays much nicer with the squeezelite end point vs Roon Server, but I would like to do an apples to apples comparison.

Which processes are folks singling out to include in /opt/rtapp/rtapp.conf to give the server process realtime priority?  It seems to be running as a daemon, with a lot of subprocesses,, but I'm getting a bit lost tracking them down to see which should have a priority boost.

Hi Ray,

LMS runs as a perl script. You can verify this by looking at running processes (ps -ef). This is the LMS process:

logitec+ 17987     1  0 23:48 ?        00:00:01 /usr/bin/perl /opt/logitechmediaserver-git/slimserver.pl --prefsdir /opt/logitechmediaserver-git/prefs --cachedir /opt/logitechmediaserver-git/cache --logdir /opt/logitechmediaserver-git/Logs

For realtime optimization on my server, I made the following changes - this is on top of what the menu script does when you Set Realtime priority to Extreme:

• In /etc/rtirq.conf:  
    • RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="eth en"
    • Rationale: on the server, we want the network interrupts to have highest priority.
    • If you're bridging, I'd give higher priority (list it first in RTIRQ_NAME_LIST) to the downstream interface - the one connected to the endpoint. 
  • In /etc/rtapp/rtapp.conf:
    • APPLICATIONS="RoonServer RoonAppliance RAATServer perl"

I've not A/B'ed with and without these changes, so who knows if this makes an audible difference!

7 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

Thank you Rajiv! I was assuming the Perl script was invoking some binary process that actually connected to the end point.  Back in the day, Perl was a write once, rewrite many scripting language for me, so I twitch a bit whenever I have to figure out someone else’s Perl code ;)  I may have some leftover eggnog tomorrow and see if there is a gem in there that actually manages the interface with the end point. 

Yes, please try to "squeeze" some light out of the darkness!

2 hours ago, ray-dude said:

@austinpop when you were doing your servers and storage evaluations, were you using the large buffer(s) (-b and -a) squeezelite configuration on your end point?  If so, were you able to hear a difference in SQ?

I just posted my impressions on server differences over on the new thread Larry created. But to be clear, I was using Roon Bridge in those comparisons. I could not rapidly switch between 2 different instances of Roon Server and have it work with a Squeezelite endpoint.

If what you suggest is true, then if I redid the experiment by running LMS on both my servers, and switching back and forth by attaching the squeezebox endpoint to one or the other, I should perceive no difference between the servers?

I will try this later tonight if possible.

5 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

This is right. The menu version can be seen on the main menu screen on the title, but headless version on console will stay as in original installation, since this is not an image update, but a menu update.

Piero is adamant that he wants the menu version to remain tied to the original image it was installed from. So for example, here's an 0.7 instance, which I updated to 0.85 from the Update menu. It still says:

Welcome to

AUDIOLINUX HEADLESS

version 0.7

Personally, I would like this to change to the current version, since how else can we keep track to what level we are up to? If not on the login splash screen, where else can we query the current version information?