IGNORED

USB audio transmission isn’t bit true

7 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I have done same tests that Gordon did and get similar results. Under some conditions you can get lots of data errors (many per second) with USB audio, under other conditions you can get no errors for days.

The biggest correlation I got was with cable length. With a cable greater than 3m you have pretty good chance of getting a large number of errors. Under 2m errors are few and far between (days between errors).

Between 2m and 3m is where the fun happens, you can trade off cable length and cable quality. For example with Supra cables you can go with significantly longer cables than cheap cables. In this range hardware has significant impact. For example my SuperMicro motherboard is error free with longer cheap cables than my cheap laptop.

I also did a lot of listening to the audio with different error rates on the USB. At low error rates the sound is identical. As error rates increase you start hearing the infamous clicks and pops. If you are getting say a click per minute, the sound quality in between clicks doesn't change. As the clicks come more often they get so annoying its impossible to tell if the sound quality is changing or not. At some point the errors come so often the system just shuts down, it can't handle that many errors. (a 5m cheap cable has a high probability of doing this).

So my conclusion was that if you stay with cables less than 2m you can be pretty sure you are essentially error free.

These rare bit errors do not seem to cause any sound change (other than a possible click).

That matches my own experience exactly.

2 minutes ago, Arpiben said:

Most probably it must be some kind of interpolation.

Otherwise in digital transmission you do have error correction mechanisms such as Vitterbi or/and Reed Solomon. But those supposed you send extra bits for error correction at receive side.

Such is not implemented in USB audio as far as I know.

If they use a custom protocol (not UAC), they could have some form of error correction. The quoted text does not really suggest that, though.

12 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

I wonder why some designers are moving to bulk-pet over isosynchronous for DSD to shorten the audio latency.

https://www.itf.co.jp/prod/audio_solution/bulk-pet/bulk-pet-en

It is defined to using Isochronous Transfer to transmit the audio data in USB Audio Class.
Audio data is transmitted in a constant period in Isochronous Transfer.
On the other hand, huge proccessing loading also appears in a constant period on host CPU and device CPU.
This huge processing loading causes the sound quality slight changes.

Bulk Pet is the technology that transmitting the audio data in Bulk Transfer.
In Bulk Transfer, it’s able to control the transmission data volume and transmission frequency.

That's all complete nonsense.

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

you even provided me the links where MANSR was testing a fubar cable...besides this quote, he provided wav file and said buzzing and distortion also occurred besides skips...granted, he was using a fubar cable....

MANSR QUOTE>>>" When errors start showing up, it's as an occasional skip which is clearly audible. The thing is, as soon as a single bit is wrong, an entire packet is discarded, and this causes a huge error in the recovered data stream. "

But i don't entirely agree with the statement...., i agree with IFI that single bit errors can also cause distortion...and also don't think all dacs will drop the entire packet for a single bit error....more likely, if a packet is dropped you would hear a click/skip/dropout...but I also believe some DACS will interpolate and some will process even with errors...and clearly if it's just a single bit you likely would not even hear it....think many thousands of bits per second...you would not hear one bit...now if you have many crc errors and the dac doesn't drop the entire packet, you would have distortion....MANSR did state that he heard buzzing and distorted sound in one of his tests where there were many errors, so it sounded like in that thread, that he acknowledged that error rates can cause both distortion and dropouts....really depends on how the DAC manages the CRC errors.  Archimago also stated error rate can cause distortion in one of his blogs....again, i am not suggesting in an optimal normal setup, that this likely would occur....i am thinking it is more dependent on noise and computer interrupts.  Why else worry about things like running processes, buffer settings, and why would people suggest noise limiting cables and usb toys and reclockers etc...designed to minimize noise can help in some environments...it just depends on hardware, noise, buffer settings, computer interrupts, etc....many things can cause crc errors, but it has been proven by IFI that noise can impact CRC errors....and we all know now, that if there are errors, the packet will not be resent...the errors will be processed in one way or another by the dac.

This is just too funny.

42 minutes ago, sandyk said:

That wasn't my point.

Misinformation is spread by many Professionals.

It then comes down to who can you trust, or is it because you need to source this information from Professionals who work specifically in these areas, and aren't Electronic " Jack of All Trades"  ?

Regarding USB, the best source of information is the actual spec. It's free to download.